AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Analog Pressings (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Flaws in vinyl and need for record sleeves (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38990)

mtroo 04-01-2017 11:21 PM

Flaws in vinyl and need for record sleeves

I am so new at vinyl that I won't have my TT set up until next Saturday. But, I started buying LP's 4 months ago and I purchased a Klaudio RCM. I noticed that two records (all new and almost all purchased from Acoustic Sounds) have flaws in the LP. I do not know if these will affect playback, but I wonder if this is something that is considered normal. It would seem that a $25 plus album should be "mint" if it's brand new. One of them is one of the albums from the Bruce Springsteen box set.

The other question I have involves LP sleeves, both inner and over the jacket of the LP. I purchased the Mobile Fidelity inner sleeves. I am inclined to replace all the inner sleeves that are plain white paper. If there are photos, or lyrics etc. I have kept them but still use the inner sleeve.

Any insight and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Masterlu 04-02-2017 12:05 AM

Tim... define the flaws you mention.

audioguy3107 04-02-2017 12:14 AM

Tim - Flaws in LPs can be the nature of the game in some instances. IMO, it really depends on what is acceptable to you and your listening when it comes to flaws in the record. I've bought tons of LPs from Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct with only a few instances where I debated on whether or not to return/exchange an LP due to a defect or noise. If it's just a few seconds of pops or one or two noticeable things, I usually overlook it and don't think it's worth the hassle even though they're great about exchanges. Now I had the worst experience with the John Lennon box set.....I went through at least 2 box sets due to random skipping, distortion, non fill, you name it and all on multiple records in the set. I eventually had them replace individual records until I had a complete set that wasn't a mess. Point is, sometimes it may be hard to get a perfect record due to a variety of factors, pressing plants, stampers, etc. One example is Jason Isbell's LP Southeastern. There was a known defect in its pressing and after going through 3 copies I gave up and bought the CD. I will say that I have bought way way more LPs that are perfect than have issues, but every now and then it happens. As far as the sleeves, I replace every single cleaned LP in a MOFI sleeve.......I figure if we're going to all this expense with an analog setup, might as well do it right.

- Buck

mtroo 04-02-2017 12:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ivan
On the Bruce Springsteen album, there does appear to be some pitting on the innermost track. The others appear to be smudges. The enclosed pictures show the flaw. Near the corner of the microfiber cloth.
All are near the inside grooves which makes me wonder if the Klaudio is somehow involved. I have examined records before putting them on, but maybe not every single one. This is not occurring on all the records. Trying to piece this together.

mtroo 04-02-2017 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 839833)
Tim - Flaws in LPs can be the nature of the game in some instances. IMO, it really depends on what is acceptable to you and your listening when it comes to flaws in the record. I've bought tons of LPs from Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct with only a few instances where I debated on whether or not to return/exchange an LP due to a defect or noise. If it's just a few seconds of pops or one or two noticeable things, I usually overlook it and don't think it's worth the hassle even though they're great about exchanges. Now I had the worst experience with the John Lennon box set.....I went through at least 2 box sets due to random skipping, distortion, non fill, you name it and all on multiple records in the set. I eventually had them replace individual records until I had a complete set that wasn't a mess. Point is, sometimes it may be hard to get a perfect record due to a variety of factors, pressing plants, stampers, etc. One example is Jason Isbell's LP Southeastern. There was a known defect in its pressing and after going through 3 copies I gave up and bought the CD. I will say that I have bought way way more LPs that are perfect than have issues, but every now and then it happens. As far as the sleeves, I replace every single cleaned LP in a MOFI sleeve.......I figure if we're going to all this expense with an analog setup, might as well do it right.

- Buck

Buck,
Thanks for the response. Do you use outer sleeves as well? Sometimes I think I may be more likley to damage the record jacket putting the darn sleeve on the if I left it off.
I am probably being a little anal retentive on this. :scratch2:
Thanks again.

Antonmb 04-02-2017 01:25 AM

MFSL inner sleeves are definitely the way to go unless the album came with a really good quality inner sleeve. Paper sleeves aren't good, they leave dust and can scuff the vinyl. Re outer sleeves, I think they're more hassle than they're worth if you just want to play albums and enjoy them. If you're "collecting" and concerned about preserving some sort of collector value, then outer sleeves make sense - but if you're buying to enjoy the music, don't wast your time, just treat them well.

mtroo 04-02-2017 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 839838)
MFSL inner sleeves are definitely the way to go unless the album came with a really good quality inner sleeve. Paper sleeves aren't good, they leave dust and can scuff the vinyl. Re outer sleeves, I think they're more hassle than they're worth if you just want to play albums and enjoy them. If you're "collecting" and concerned about preserving some sort of collector value, then outer sleeves make sense - but if you're buying to enjoy the music, don't wast your time, just treat them well.

I think this probably makes the most sense.

John49 04-02-2017 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 839839)
I think this probably makes the most sense.

+1

audioguy3107 04-02-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 839835)
Buck,
Thanks for the response. Do you use outer sleeves as well? Sometimes I think I may be more likley to damage the record jacket putting the darn sleeve on the if I left it off.
I am probably being a little anal retentive on this. :scratch2:
Thanks again.

Yes, I do use the clear outer sleeves, honestly more for how it looks on the shelves than anything else, I don't a ton of collectible records, but the ones I do have I want to keep in as pristine shape as possible. They're really cheap and keep everything looking neat. As far as being anal retentive, we're audiophiles, right? Sounds like everything is as it should be! :D

- Buck

mtroo 04-02-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 839868)
Yes, I do use the clear outer sleeves, honestly more for how it looks on the shelves than anything else, I don't a ton of collectible records, but the ones I do have I want to keep in as pristine shape as possible. They're really cheap and keep everything looking neat. As far as being anal retentive, we're audiophiles, right? Sounds like everything is as it should be! :D

- Buck

:lmao: