AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Aurender (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Anyone Using An Aurender W20? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38136)

SuperD 12-28-2016 07:28 PM

Anyone Using An Aurender W20?

I just ordered the W20 and am hoping some members can give me feedback on their setup and listening impressions. I plan to use the W20 with the Esoteric K-01X and G-01 clock but I haven't found too many reviews with Esoteric gear. I ordered the W20 for a few reasons:
1. I'm computer illiterate! I need a plug & play device.
2. Its the only server that I know of that incorporates a master/word clock.
3. I like the App and usage with Tidal. I'm always looking for new music.
4. My dealer says Aurender has not had any failed drives - Reassuring based
on some early speculation.

Are members using clocks with their W20?
Does anyone prefer AES/EBU over USB?
What cables are you using?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Dave

jdandy 12-28-2016 09:42 PM

Dave.......Congratulations. Nothing like going for the gold. The Aurender W20 is unique in many ways by design, and by all accounts a superb audio performer. Even though the W20 can be used in conjunction with an external word clock, its own internal OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillator) is remarkably accurate joined with the field programmable gate array phase locked loop system that reduces jitter to near immeasurable levels. The W20 power supply and alternating battery pack power source is innovative and not only provides super clean power but also prevents power loss to the server in the event of a utility power loss. There are many other engineering and design highlights in the Aurender W20 music server that make it a ground breaking reference level audio component. I am positive from my own experience with my Aurender N10 and Esoteric K-03 setup that you will be delighted beyond your greatest expectations.

The Aurender Conductor app is a pleasure to use. Moving music files to the W20's generous 12TB (6TB x 2) hard drives is a simple drag and drop operation. Once you've done it you will be a pro. The Conductor application automatically updates itself as music files are uploaded. As for cables, you have options and most likely the AES/EBU connection will deliver your best digital signal to the DAC. My Esoteric K-03 does not provide the AES/EBU connection so I use a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 coaxial digital cable from the N10 to the K-03. I also keep a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable connected between the N10 and the K-03 for the times I wish to make comparisons. If you haven't already, you can read my Aurender N10 Caching Music Server review here.

I am looking forward to your review of the Aurender W20. These are exciting times.

SuperD 12-29-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 822777)
Dave.......Congratulations. Nothing like going for the gold. The Aurender W20 is unique in many ways by design, and by all accounts a superb audio performer. Even though the W20 can be used in conjunction with an external word clock, its own internal OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillator) is remarkably accurate joined with the field programmable gate array phase locked loop system that reduces jitter to near immeasurable levels. The W20 power supply and alternating battery pack power source is innovative and not only provides super clean power but also prevents power loss to the server in the event of a utility power loss. There are many other engineering and design highlights in the Aurender W20 music server that make it a ground breaking reference level audio component. I am positive from my own experience with my Aurender N10 and Esoteric K-03 setup that you will be delighted beyond your greatest expectations.

The Aurender Conductor app is a pleasure to use. Moving music files to the W20's generous 12TB (6TB x 2) hard drives is a simple drag and drop operation. Once you've done it you will be a pro. The Conductor application automatically updates itself as music files are uploaded. As for cables, you have options and most likely the AES/EBU connection will deliver your best digital signal to the DAC. My Esoteric K-03 does not provide the AES/EBU connection so I use a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 coaxial digital cable from the N10 to the K-03. I also keep a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable connected between the N10 and the K-03 for the times I wish to make comparisons. If you haven't already, you can read my Aurender N10 Caching Music Server review here.

I am looking forward to your review of the Aurender W20. These are exciting times.

Dan,
It always amazes me how much technical information you retain and how you always manage to put words together in way that I can understand. I'm really looking forward to having the W20 along with the K-01X. I've always been a disc spinner and enjoy the process of picking an album and listening from beginning to end. With a two and half year old and a 12 week old newborn, the idea of building playlists and having immediate access to millions of tracks at the touch of a button started to sound very appealing. The unit should arrive next week and ill post an update after it settles in just a bit.

Dave

bart 12-29-2016 03:02 PM

Looking forward to your impressions Dave.
What a world class system you have built! :thumbsup:

jdandy 12-29-2016 03:14 PM

Dave.......Having your entire digital music library at your finger tips is a real pleasure. With your young child and a newborn, not having to deal with discs, albums, or anything else laying loose will make things safer for the children and less likely to become damaged. All you'll need is an iPad and you're in command.

When you are not listening to the W20 you can tap the repeat sympol in the upper left corner of the Aurender Conductor app and the music server will play indefinitely so you can get some break-in hours on it while the rest of the sound system is turned off. That helps speed up the break-in.

You're going to love your new Aurender W20. Can't wait to read your impressions. Did you order the black or the silver? Don't forget how much we like photos. :)

SuperD 12-29-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 822865)
Looking forward to your impressions Dave.
What a world class system you have built! :thumbsup:

Thanks Bart you too! I always ask myself when will enough be enough? Probably never:D. After I add a nice preamp(hopefully Nagra HD pre), I think I'll be good for a few years.:smoking:

bart 12-29-2016 03:29 PM

Dave, I believe the road towards our goal is as nice as the goal itself.
Let's enjoy it fully!

SuperD 12-29-2016 04:17 PM

Anyone Using An Aurender W20?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 822867)
Dave.......Having your entire digital music library at your finger tips is a real pleasure. With your young child and a newborn, not having to deal with discs, albums, or anything else laying loose will make things safer for the children and less likely to become damaged. All you'll need is an iPad and you're in command.

When you are not listening to the W20 you can tap the repeat sympol in the upper left corner of the Aurender Conductor app and the music server will play indefinitely so you can get some break-in hours on it while the rest of the sound system is turned off. That helps speed up the break-in.

You're going to love your new Aurender W20. Can't wait to read your impressions. Did you order the black or the silver? Don't forget how much we like photos. :)

Dan,
I agree with everything you said and all was considered before I ordered the W20. I haven't read anything negative about the unit but then again I'm sure it's hard for people to talk about shortcomings after a substantial purchase like this. I know I'll be happy with it, but I'm interested to hear the differences between the spinner and the server. Good times ahead! I ordered black. Thought it would look nice with the Mcintosh equipment.

Nacho 12-29-2016 06:51 PM

Congratulations SupeDave !!!
We'll wait your impressions.
I'm waiting for the future Esoteric N01 Server to connect it to my Esoteric D02X.
Actually i'm playing from an Aurender N100H.
If Esoteric doesn't make it i will upgrade to N10 or W20.

Audiophilehi 12-30-2016 09:38 AM

Congratulations Dave on the new addition.