AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Difference between GS150 & 150SE (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44024)

michael paul 10-09-2018 04:49 PM

Difference between GS150 & 150SE

Hi guys,

I could not find an answer to this with a brief scan, but aside from price and appearance what is the main difference between the two?

Describe the sound of each please. I run a REF6 and Martin-Logan 13a's.

I came across comments elsewhere that A.R. will be be discontinuing the GS150. Hence the higher than normal discounts?

Or is it being discounted for other (bad) reasons?

Looking to trade up from Krell Duo 300.

thanks

mike

2fastdriving 10-09-2018 04:56 PM

They are pretty similar, but having heard both in my system with the ref6, I think I prefer the GS150. It's much, much prettier and build quality is stunning.

I think the GS150 sounds just a touch more "solid state". It's a little more punchier and has less "tubey" sound. However, it's very very minimal difference.

You can't go wrong with either, great match with Ref6.

michael paul 10-09-2018 07:54 PM

thanks for the input!

The Lost Bears 10-09-2018 08:37 PM

They are very similar sounding, you really need to hear them both in your system to see which you like better. Personally I would go with the Ref 150se if it were me.

I believe they may be discontinuing the Galileo Series. I never really saw the point of having a line to directly compete with the Reference series. Especially now that they look so similar. But I have not understood much since the whole McIntosh take over.

audio5 10-09-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lost Bears (Post 935045)
They are very similar sounding, you really need to hear them both in your system to see which you like better. Personally I would go with the Ref 150se if it were me.

I believe they may be discontinuing the Galileo Series. I never really saw the point of having a line to directly compete with the Reference series. Especially now that they look so similar. But I have not understood much since the whole McIntosh take over.

I think when a project is finished, parts supply dwindle--read obsolete
who are supplier of GS casing,rail,?
I have no electronic background but you could only,complete a project if suppliers are around.

SL1800 10-12-2018 01:20 PM

I have decided to go with the GS150. Reviews claim it to be the best stereo amp ever made by Audio Research. Also I find its appearance far more appealing.

FDPDK 10-12-2018 01:51 PM

From appearance i sure would go with the GS150, that's surely just looking better than Ref150

JPrest 10-12-2018 06:55 PM

I believe that the Ref150 and SE version were designed by the original team at ARC and the GS150 was a newer designer at ARC. I heard this from the person I bought my Ref6 from, and he claimed to have a credible source at ARC. Bottom line was that they preferred the REF 150SE sound as being true to "ARC house sound". So there you have it a 2nd hand opinion. I plan on getting the 150SE to replace my Ref75SE.

Good Luck

2fastdriving 10-12-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPrest (Post 935484)
I believe that the Ref150 and SE version were designed by the original team at ARC and the GS150 was a newer designer at ARC. I heard this from the person I bought my Ref6 from, and he claimed to have a credible source at ARC. Bottom line was that they preferred the REF 150SE sound as being true to "ARC house sound". So there you have it a 2nd hand opinion. I plan on getting the 150SE to replace my Ref75SE.

Good Luck

Circuit design or chassis/faceplate? It's definitely true that the GS150 was cosmetically designed by Livio Cuccuzza, who also designs for Sonus Faber. I don't know if the circuit design is really any different or not.

However I am in agreement...like I mentioned in my earlier post, the GS150 to me sounds more "solid state", which is a bit of a departure from the "house sound".

I found the differences between the two to be subtle.

Let me just say, after hearing both in my system: YOU CANNOT GO WRONG :banana: