AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Focal Center Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43997)

Killergurt 10-06-2018 01:11 PM

Focal Center Speakers

Hi guys,

As I am waiting for my Scala V2's I have been looking to buy a Center speaker. I can not understand what the difference is between the Sopra and Electra Center speakers. Can someone please point it out to me? Would any of those work well with the Scalas? Unfortunately, I can not afford the Utopia Center...
Are there any other Center speakers that I should consider besides those two?

Thank you!

jayvis 10-07-2018 11:25 AM

From what I've heard, there is absolutely no performance differences between the Electra and Sopra center channel speakers other than a small cabinet redesign. The performance specs are exactly the same. The Sopra end panels are radiused versus sharper edges on the Electra. My guess is that they're basically the same speaker and the Electra line is being discontinued. I've heard an all Electra home theater system with the CC1008Be and the results were impressive. Crystal clear vocals with excellent tone. I mostly watched and listened to concerts on DVD with DTS Master Audio and I think they'd intrgrate fine with your new Scalas. If you have a local dealer, they might allow you to audition the center channel in your home system.

mcpaf76 10-07-2018 11:34 AM

I just looked and they do appear identical, which seems odd. What rears are you planning to use?

Killergurt 10-07-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpaf76 (Post 934689)
I just looked and they do appear identical, which seems odd. What rears are you planning to use?

I use a pair of Klipsch RP-250S speakers.

mcpaf76 10-07-2018 05:14 PM

Honestly I would at least try the Scalas by themselves, you'll be surprised how Surround decoded to stereo sounds on speakers like those. My Sopras throw sound all over the place and have a locked in center image also. People ask me where my center speaker is, and how the sound comes from behind them with no speakers. The soundstage has height , width and depth that appears to expand well beyond the front wall and reaches behind you.

scirica 10-07-2018 05:40 PM

This is what I would do the next time I buy some expensive mains. Wish I would have done that with my Salon 2’s

mcpaf76 10-07-2018 07:26 PM

I think anything not tonally matched and on par in quality with the Scalas would risk watering down the sound quality.

Killergurt 10-07-2018 08:01 PM

Just to make it clear, I am looking to add a Center speaker for a home theater application, I will not be using it to listen to music.

mcpaf76 10-07-2018 08:29 PM

I figured that, I meant for both applications, that's how I use mine. Just figured would be an option to try, you will have the speakers.
It's fun to go to the YouTube atmos demos and show people, they are amazed what's happening from 2 speakers.

mcpaf76 10-07-2018 08:39 PM

Not trying to tell you what to do, just offering my opinion of another option, that would be free.