AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Krell (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Krell FPB-300C (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=6491)

specialized 12-21-2010 02:54 AM

Krell FPB-300C

Hi there.. I have a chance to get a Krell FPB-300C to pair with my b&w 803s.

As first what do u think about B&W 803S and this krell? Anyone had a chance to try it?

Another thing that also bothering me, is that this krell is like 12-13 years old and becouse it's working in A Class with a lot of heat, does this mean that i'll have to recap very soon? Or i dont need to worry about degrading performances becouse of aging?

Greetings

Darko

Uberbrown 12-21-2010 09:39 AM

Here is a glowing review of the 300c . . .
SoundStage! Equipment Review - Krell FPB-300c Stereo Amplifier (12/2001)

Some info with Bruce talking to a a Krell fan about Krell and B&W . . .
HTGuide Forum - Experience with Krell FPB300c + B&W's

Not sure on the age of the amp, but you can get the serial and call Krell. The cx line was out in '01, so the c line may only be about 10 years or so. Hard to tell without the serial.

Also, Krell still does the mc to mcx upgrade, so they may still do the c to cx upgrade, so if you needed to replace the caps in 5 or 7 years, you may be able to upgrade it to a cx.

If you are worried about the c, then you might want to just get a 400cx of audiogon. or their current price vs performance, they are a steal.

specialized 12-21-2010 10:29 AM

If you are worried about the c, then you might want to just get a 400cx of audiogon. or their current price vs performance, they are a steal.[/QUOTE]

Good thing about this 300c is that i can get localy.. 400cx it would be a problem for shiping, customs etc..

Update: This Krell is 11 years old (produced 2000 year). Krell answer me that capacitor maintence is needed and that i have to send to the factory.. That's not an option becouse of shipping cost and custom's birocracy.. So is this always the case that after some time there is need for this maintence? Or it may be not needed? How to find out that this peace (i have on listening in this moment) have a lot of more years of perofrmance or not? As i said i dont have option to do that maintence..

Thanks and greetings

Darko

p.s. Hope for an answer becouse i really need to decide soon

specialized 12-23-2010 04:51 PM

Update: This Krell is 11 years old (produced 2000 year). Krell answer me that capacitor maintence is needed and that i have to send to the factory.. That's not an option becouse of shipping cost and custom's birocracy.. So is this always the case that after some time there is need for this maintence? Or it may be not needed? How to find out that this peace (i have on listening in this moment) have a lot of more years of perofrmance or not? As i said i dont have option to do that maintence..How it would sound if this maintence is needed?

Thanks and greetings

Darko

p.s. Hope for an answer becouse i really need to decide soon

cmalak 12-23-2010 05:30 PM

Darko...I am not familiar with Krell and so I can't advise you on this except to recommend that you may want to call Krell back and let them know that shipping the amp to them is not an option due to high shipping and customs costs from your country so ask them if they have any authorized service people in your country that may be able to change the Capacitors and whatever other maintenance is required. If they cannot recommend anybody locally for you that can do the work, I would go by what Krell recommends and not purchase this amp. They are the best ones to advise you on this matter. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Elberoth 01-09-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uberbrown (Post 126476)
Not sure on the age of the amp, but you can get the serial and call Krell.

No need to call Krell. You can read the build date form the serial # on all Krell products.

Example: xxx0108xxxxx means that the amp was manufactured in August 2001.

Uberbrown 01-09-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elberoth (Post 130706)
No need to call Krell. You can read the build date form the serial # on all Krell products.

Example: xxx0108xxxxx means that the amp was manufactured in August 2001.

Nice to know!

mb2 02-09-2011 02:00 PM

What did you do Specialized?