AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PMC Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Pure Silver vs: Copper Speaker Jumpers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=618)

jdandy 05-01-2009 01:53 PM

Pure Silver vs: Copper Speaker Jumpers

2 Attachment(s)
This morning 24 inches of 99.99% pure silver #10 gauge solid wire arrived. Time to see if the PMC EB1i speakers can be persuaded to deliver an additional degree or two of performance.

As you know, the PMC EB1i's come from the factory with #10 gauge solid bronze jumpers. The four factory jumpers per speaker are inserted between the woofer and midrange terminals, and between the midrange and tweeter terminals. Since the electrical conductivity of bronze is about 22% of copper, I replaced the brass jumpers with #9 gauge copper jumpers made from Kimber 8TC speaker cable. What resulted was a pleasant improvement in the midrange and high frequency details, plus a new quickness to the dynamics. It was a rewarding step up in the EB1i's sound. I expected cleaner sound from the pure copper jumpers since copper has the second highest electrical conductivity of all metals, exceeded only by silver, which has the highest electrical conductivity of all metals.

Today I removed the Kimber 8TC copper jumpers, and installed one continuous unbroken solid silver #10 gauge wire through all three terminals of the positive and negative inputs for the woofer, midrange, and tweeter on each speaker. I tightened the threaded clamps down on the silver wire, then reinserted the WBT gold locking banana connectors into the woofer terminals, and tightened their expanding locks. Ready to go.

The audition began with an SACD, Spyro Gyra - Wrapped In A Dream, "Spyro Time". When the drum beats and bass riff began, and Jay Beckenstein's alto saxophone grabbed the beat, my attention was cemented on the new found level of mid range detail and dynamics. This enhancement was equal to the step made when changing the solid brass factory jumpers to the Kimber copper jumpers. It was as though someone had removed a thin layer of gauze from in front of the mid and high frequency domes. I was astounded by the speed of the dynamics, and the clarity that was added to ringing cymbals, horns, and upper fret guitar notes, including their sustain and demishment into the blackness of silence. As with light, the combination of all colors creates pure white. With the silver jumpers, were it a color, it would be brilliant white. The new found clarity contributed to the proper balance of all frequencies in time and space arriving at my ears in perfect sync. On the Spyro Gyra track "Impressions Of Madrid", the tune begins with snapping fingers and rhythmic hand claps. The sound was so crisp and clean it could have been coming from my very own hands, were I as well coordinated and talented as the performers. Simply amazing.

Playing the SACD Claire Martin - Too Darn Hot!, "Too Darn Hot" begins with a conga beat and a triangle ring that literally hangs in the air at least four seconds during the decay, while an acoustic double bass completely envelopes the sound stage just before Claire's sultry voice enters and consumes your attention. The increased high frequency details were well demonstrated with the triangle strikes throughout the song, hanging so delicately, yet completely separate from the other sounds. The leading edge string sounds, lingering low notes and vibrating wood tones emenating from Geoff Gascoyne's wonderful acoustic double bass were mesmerizing. My favorite track on this SACD is "Black Coffee". The very first sounds on the track are a quick double strike on the drum skins. You instantly feel as though you are there. The piano, the cymbals, Claire's voice, the slinky guitar that pans right, then left, creates such an engaging sound stage that it puts you right in a smoky jazz club, maybe three tables back from the stage. The lights are low, the air is warm, damp, and thick with aromas, small beads of sweat can be felt on your forehead, the music is perfect, the drinks stout, tasty and cold. Oh, yeah, you are feeling good. Phew!

Wow! OK, I'm back. In a nut shell, the pure copper jumpers were an improvement over the brass jumpers, but they are now history. The pure silver jumpers are here to stay. For the PMC EB1i's, the pure silver jumpers make a significant contribution to superior detail, dynamics, and sound stage. PMC owners, I would respectfully suggest you dump the factory brass jumpers, pass on the copper jumpers, and go straight for pure silver jumpers. They really do bring home the gold.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...ver-wire-2.jpg

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...ver-wire-1.jpg

'cisco 05-01-2009 02:11 PM

Nice write-up as always Dan......I guess I should try this tweak also. Now...should I go for the stranded or the solid silver? ....after all..... the original brass jumper was solid brass. Sounds like going solid was the correct choice :scratch2:

jdandy 05-01-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'cisco (Post 10753)
Nice write-up as always Dan......I guess I should try this tweak also. Now...should I go for the stranded or the solid silver? ....after all..... the original brass jumper was solid brass. Sounds like going solid was the correct choice :scratch2:

'cisco.......The solid conductor pure silver in #10 gauge works perfect. When you look at the close-up photo of my terminals you can see how easily they fall right into place. Sonically, they are spectacular. Highly recommended tweak for PMC's.

1KW 05-01-2009 04:51 PM

Nice tweak Dan and good write up. I do not have any jumpers or I might be tempted to give it a try :)

lyle1 05-01-2009 06:25 PM

Great write up Dan, it looks like you found a nice improvement....way to go...:yes:

MC352 05-01-2009 06:29 PM

Oh man I was just going to build the jumpers with copper wire this weekend.

Now what do I do?

Dan, can you tell me where you got the silver wire.

I have some 10 gauge copper wire left over from when put the new oven in, maybe I will try that first.

ian@pmc 05-01-2009 06:39 PM

Nice little stroll through the tweak zoo...

80B 05-01-2009 06:47 PM

Dan,
Thanks for the review. Always interesting to read what you're doing, and think how something like that may apply to my setup.:thumbsup:

jdandy 05-01-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian@pmc (Post 10821)
Nice little stroll through the tweak zoo...

Ian.......You should have seen what the other anilmals were doing. :D

jdandy 05-01-2009 07:04 PM

Chuck.......This is where I purchased my pure silver #10 gauge solid conductor wire. http://www.homegrownaudio.com/bulk_wire.htm