AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wyred 4 Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27344)

Vintage Pete 06-29-2014 10:22 PM

Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse Review

Greetings all….

It has been just over 2 weeks the arrival of my new Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter that has had my curiosity piqued since its introduction. I’ve been extremely pleased with my original DAC-2
that was passed along to me in 2011 by our late friend Regi aka BearCubinNY. Not only was I very pleased with its sonic performance, I was intrigued by its upgradeable platform and had been watching to see if Wyred 4 Sound
would eventually make good on their claim that units in the field could eventually be upgraded. And make good they did, offering 2 levels of upgrade options: The first upgrade path (“DSD”) increases PCM resolution to 32 bit 384khz
for the ability to stream DSD 64 and DSD files via USB; also adding galvanic isolation for complete isolation from computer noise. The second upgrade path (“DSDse” with the “se” denoting “Special Edition”) takes things quite a but
further, adding much closer tolerance, premium quality components in key audio circuits. To quote the Wyred 4 Sound website:

Enhancing the already stellar performance of our DAC-2 series, the DAC-2 DSDse includes an array of highly upgraded components: Vishay Z-Foil resistors, ultra-low noise discrete regulators, ultra-fast recovery Scottkey diodes,
premium grade inductors, green OLED display and a Rhodium-plated Furutech fuse. The culmination of these enhancements is refined audio performance down to the minutest nuances.

In addition, the DSDse version now includes a higher-grade Femto master clock, said to improve the already excellent performance of the DAC-2 by further reducing phase noise and jitter.

The current pricing to have one’s existing DAC-2 modified at the factory to the “DSD” level is $495; while the price to have one’s DAC-2 unit fully modified to the “DSDse” level, which includes the Femto clock, is $1299.
If one opts to go with the DSD upgrade, the Femto clock can be added for an additional $50. If you are going with the upgrade path, in order to obtain the clock upgrade you must at least purchase the DSD upgrade.

The pricing for the brand new units are: Standard DAC-2: $1499; DAC-2 DSD: $1599; and the DAC-2 DSDse: $2549. Once again, the Femto master clock is standard equipment on the DAC-2 DSDse, and can be added
as an option to either the standard DAC-2 or the DAC-2 DSD for an additional $50.

The DAC-2 is well known (as are all of Wyred 4 Sound’s products) for offering serious performance for a very reasonable price. The price/performance ratio is outstanding. As pleased as I’ve been with my DAC-2 for the last 3 years,
I was a bit skeptical that it could be improved substantially by throwing $1299 at it for the DSDse upgrade. However, I was very curious just the same, and began reading some excellent reviews on it, such as the Six Moons review
that Dan posted in my initial thread announcing my purchase, as well as one or two owners on this site.

But other factors swayed me as well, to not only consider the upgrade but to consider going all out and purchasing a brand new DAC-2 DSDse. First, over the last two years (almost) I’ve made many upgrades to that system including
what is pretty much a complete cabling makeover using WW Equinox cabling throughout (interconnects and speaker cables) upgraded power cables, two line level component upgrades (one equalizer and one active crossover) and more.
So I felt that the system would reveal the performance improvements with no problem.

Moreover, earlier this year I purchased a new laptop and began reaping the benefits of 96/24 and 192/24 downloads played through my DAC-2. On top of that, the core of my office vintage system last year was completely replaced
with the Crown Distinction series system, and a new subwoofer was added. So the plan grew into a buy the DAC-2 DSDse, and move the existing DAC-2 into the office, so that that system can be brought into the hi-res act, while also
improving the redbook CD performance of that system.

I also knew that the DAC-2 series would work quite well from the system real estate standpoint. While I’m usually a full-sized component kind of guy, I’ve limited space for any more boxes in any of my systems. As I mentioned in my
review of three years ago, the DAC-2 fits very nicely in my main system on the same platform as my turntable. So I knew that the DAC-2 DSDse would be a very easy swap there with no rearranging at all. Likewise, my office real estate
is nearly used up, but there is a perfect spot to accommodate the relatively compact enclosure of the DAC-2. In my main system I would continue to use my McIntosh MCD7009 CD player as a transport, feeding the DAC-2 DSDse from
its coaxial digital output.

Okay so the big day is here, and I quickly set up the unit, which, as expected, was simple. As soon as I turn it on, I know that I really like the newer green OLED display. It is dimmable for theater purposes, but I leave the display on all the time.
The green digits seem a tiny bit larger that its predecessor, and are easier to see across the room. I set the coax and USB levels at a fixed level of 65, the same level as I had set the previous unit ( I find the maximum level of 70 just a bit too potent).
I started out with some classic rock on redbook-playing several tracks from my Moody Blues-Legend of a Band CD. The first thing I notice right out the box is a slightly more relaxed and “open” presentation, with a better separation of instruments
and “airiness” overall. Also an overall smoother presentation. At the same time, we haven’t lost a bit of solidity or weight. The placement of voices and instruments within the soundstage is superb. I’ve been trying a wide variety of genre in these two weeks
to get a good feel for its performance. In all cases, I’ve been thrilled. It’s great with rock, classical, or anything else one cares to throw at it. It has a more refined presentation over the already excellent DAC-2. Recordings that may otherwise feel a bit sibilant
or bright are smoothed out nicely. I occasionally enjoy some selections of the celtic genre; one example is Ronan Hardiman’s Anthem album, which contains a lot of harmonies and rich texturing. This one is very interesting to listen to, I would describe
it as a celtic theme with pop influence. Very dynamic, it is a very enjoyable experience with the DAC-2 DSDse. I wanted to try some classical genre as well, so I popped in my soundtrack from the movie Somewhere in Time. Very nice presentation-in
particular the quiet passages with piano solos were great. One can close one’s eyes and pick out that piano precisely located in space. Great stuff. A revisiting of John Anderson’s Seminole Wind reveals inner details I haven’t noticed before. One tends to
forget that we are listening to redbook-a well engineered redbook cd can be a completely immersive and involving experience with a top-notch DAC such as this. The sonics of the DAC-2 DSDse are rich, full-bodied and smooth; with fabulous dynamics. It should
satisfy any die-hard analog aficionado.

With 96/24 and 192/24 hi-res files, there isn’t much to say here but fantastic. The same improvements noted above are evident here. While I seem to note a slight shift in the image to the right in my original DAC-2 with hi-res files, here we have a perfectly aligned
soundstage. (I’m a little perplexed as to whether there is actually a problem with my earlier unit). In any event, the hi-res performance of the DAC-2 DSDse is superb. I have not as yet downloaded any DSD files, so I’m unable to comment as yet on this aspect.
(I did not purchase the unit with the intent to listen to DSD files, but rather for the across the board refinements and the ability to improve my office setup as well).

A few miscellaneous items: Like the original DAC-2, this is a very solidly constructed unit that looks much better in person than in photos. Quality is evident in all aspects, with a full plethora of quality connectors on the rear apron. The stock power cord supplied
with the unit is of heavier construction than its predecessor. Of course, a stock cord is a stock cord (I am using a WireWorld Aurora power cord, a WW Silver Starlight digital cable and WW Equinox balanced output interconnects). The trigger function on this unit
now includes remote on/off triggering rather than simply an HT bypass trigger function. This is a welcome addition that I availed myself of. (It is a 12V trigger, but since my McIntosh C40 preamp only provides a 5V trigger, I worked around it using a simple Wal-wart
12V supply connected in unison with my other source equipment that is triggered by my preamp via my Panamax controller). Like the original DAC-2, the remote supplied with the DAC-2DSDse is very basic (I never used mine). It is said, however, that the new unit
can be controlled more conveniently using a universal remote.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...psdeaef3cf.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps3f5cc223.jpg

The Original DAC-2’s new duties in my office system…

With all the work that’s been done on my office system in the last year, adding my original DAC-2 to that system is the icing on the cake. By doing that, I can update my redbook CD playback using the coax input, and bring the Crown system in that room
in on the hi-res act. So I placed a cable order with Ivan, so that I can feed the digital output of my vintage Carver SD/A-490t CD player to the DAC-2, and the analog outputs of the DAC-2 to the Crown DL-2 controller on the other side of the room. To accomplish
this I ordered a 6 meter WW Starlight DigitalCable, and a 7 meter pair of WW Oasis unbalanced interconnects. The DAC-2 would be situated in close proximity to my laptop station, so a long USB cable would not be necessary.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...psfa2b790b.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps5ba46da3.jpg

Not much to say here, we have an obvious upgrade for my CD playback, moving the sonics up many steps for redbook, and the ability to enjoy those hi-res files through my relatively new Crown Distinction series rig. What a difference!

Conclusions….

To sum it up, the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse is a superb DAC. One user here noted that the sound id more “in your face”. I think what he was really trying to say is, the instruments have more presence, not necessarily that the sound is overly “forward”.
I would agree. I would also agree with the statement made on the Wyred 4 Sound website that the DSDse version is like a DAC-2 on steroids. That’s a rather apt way to describe it. Like the original DAC-2, the sound is big, it’s clear, it’s dynamic, and very involving.
But it is more refined at the same time…bringing one even deeper into the musical experience.

Having said all that, one has to bear in mind that this is all said with relatively few hours on the unit, and there is much break-in yet to happen. The manual states that you need at least 200 hours on the unit, and EJ Sarmento of Wyred 4 Sound tells me that the
break-in blooming doesn’t slow down until you have a good few hundred hours on it. Another AA member recently commented in my other thread that his unit wasn’t fully broken in until well over 200 hours were on it. Hence, this review should really considered a
“preliminary” review, while the break-in process is underway. I’m already noticing some changes as I revisit some selections I played when I first powered up the unit two weeks ago. I’m sure I’m in for a very enjoyable “ride”.

I believe it was that same member that mentioned he has ordered a McIntosh D100 Digital preamp-DAC for the purpose of comparing the two. I will be interested in the results of that shootout. The D100 is a very attractive unit, in typical McIntosh styling, at a
comparable price. But once again, I’m really out of room for full-width boxes, and my two DAC-2 versions are perfect solutions in both of my situations.

I would recommend the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse without hesitation. It was well worth the investment, and will only get better from here. I couldn’t be happier.

Thanks for reading….

jdandy 06-29-2014 10:51 PM

Pete.......An excellent review and photos. The new DAC2 DSDse looks wonderful in the living room system and the original DAC2 looks right at home in the office system. You definitely killed two birds with one stone with the DAC2 DSDse purchase. It is clear from the tone of your review that you are excited to own the new DAC2 DSDse and pleased with the digital performance upgrade in your main system.

I know that you are still looking to replace the MCD7009 you are using as a transport with a MCD1000. You are certainly close to that final step. Happy listening my friend.

Vintage Pete 06-29-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 619481)
Pete.......An excellent review and photos. The new DAC2 DSDse looks wonderful in the living room system and the original DAC2 looks right at home in the office system. You definitely killed two birds with one stone with the DAC2 DSDse purchase. It is clear from the tone of your review that you are excited to own the new DAC2 DSDse and pleased with the digital performance upgrade in your main system.

I know that you are still looking to replace the MCD7009 you are using as a transport with a MCD1000. You are certainly close to that final step. Happy listening my friend.

Thank you Dan...I am definitely pleased and excited, and yes you are correct with your closing comment. That's what needs to happen now. :yes:

Yamaki 06-29-2014 10:57 PM

Great write up, Pete. Thanks for the information, the upgrade details and the very nice pictures.

Enjoy the upgrade!

Vintage Pete 06-29-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 619484)
Great write up, Pete. Thanks for the information, the upgrade details and the very nice pictures.

Enjoy the upgrade!

Thanks Michael...my pleasure! :thumbsup:

Stereo-head 06-29-2014 11:19 PM

Great review Pete, and thanks for the pics. I've been waiting rather impatiently to read your thoughts on what seems to me an excellent Dac. I'm glad you made the right choice, and please keep us posted as it breaks in.

Vintage Pete 06-29-2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stereohead (Post 619495)
Great review Pete, and thanks for the pics. I've been waiting rather impatiently to read your thoughts on what seems to me an excellent Dac. I'm glad you made the right choice, and please keep us posted as it breaks in.

Simon....will do. Indeed I was a bit torn on just when to post a review. I knew some were anxious to hear my impressions; at the same time there was little time for break in, and I needed a bit of time to collect my own thoughts on it.

I will update as more hours are logged on it. :thumbsup:

Masterlu 06-30-2014 12:15 AM

Pete... Great review and pics of your new W4S-DAC-2 DSDse, I'm glad to hear you are breaking new ground in your audio listening pleasure. ;)

Vintage Pete 06-30-2014 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 619507)
Pete... Great review and pics of your new W4S-DAC-2 DSDse, I'm glad to hear you are breaking new ground in your audio listening pleasure. ;)

Thank you Ivan! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pider 06-30-2014 10:45 AM

Pete, excellent review! I shoulda, coulda have bought that used W4S DAC 2 and had it upgraded. Your review makes a great argument for others to consider doing just that! Enjoy!