AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Clearaudio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   CA Innovation or Master or MT10 or AMG V12? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26048)

dailycitrus 03-29-2014 10:15 PM

CA Innovation or Master or MT10 or AMG V12?

In the process of selecting a new TT and arm with a $30k+ budget (TT, Arm, Cables, ect.). What I have looked at so far:

McIntosh MT10: I am a McIntosh fan but the arm is not upgradable and CA makes it based on a lower model design. I like the floating platter and the electronic speed control. But I think its a pass.

AMG V12: the TAS review was a big plus but was undeceive on the bass performance and referenced the lack there of as a result of the cartridge used for the review. Then I noticed the founder passed away making me think this could be a one hit wonder and no upgrade path in the future. Has anyone heard this table and experienced the bass performance? Also, does the 12" arm require adjustments overtime?

ClearAudio Innovation Wood: I was heading toward this until I have read and heard from dealers this TT lacks in the Bass. Yes, it has the electronic speed control, floating platter, arm(s) are changeable, but if it truly lacks in the bass that could be a no go for me. Can someone comment on this TT and its performance on the Bass and compared to the other TT out there?

ClearAudio Master Innovation: Does this TT from CA also suffer in Bass performance and if not why? Is there value, $15k, in this design vs. the Innovation wood?

Other TT and arm recommendations are greatly welcome. I currently use vintage Tube Pre-amp/amps with ATC 150 speakers. For the TT cartridge I prefer to stick with the Benz Ebony TR with a custom Bob's SUT. I expect the TT cables will be transparent audio from the arm to the SUT to the Pre-amp.

Thanks for the responses.

Masterlu 03-29-2014 10:49 PM

There is certainly no lack of Bass with my ClearAudio Innovation Wood.

j3brow 03-29-2014 10:57 PM

If I had 30K to budget for a table and arm, I would go VPI Classic Direct without hesitation.

dailycitrus 03-29-2014 10:57 PM

Masterlu, thanks for that info. also, have you had a chance to compare the Master Innovation to the Innovation Wood (that you have)? or have you seen any creditable comparisons?

thanks

Masterlu 03-29-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailycitrus (Post 594441)
Masterlu, thanks for that info. also, have you had a chance to compare the Master Innovation to the Innovation Wood (that you have)? or have you seen any creditable comparisons?

thanks

I almost bought a Master Innovation, but in the end I couldn't hear any difference.

dailycitrus 03-29-2014 11:02 PM

Ivan/Masterlu,

that is very helpful thank you.

dailycitrus 03-29-2014 11:04 PM

J3Brow,

what makes you lean towards the VPI classic direct? compared it? use it now? other?

thanks

j3brow 03-29-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailycitrus (Post 594449)
J3Brow, what makes you lean towards the VPI classic direct? compared it? use it now? other? thanks

I am just a fan of VPI. I have used a Scoutmaster for 7 years now and am very pleased with the performance. The Classic Direct has garnered excellent press and competes as best the world has to offer. Check out Tone Publications review -- awarded overall product of the year. By the way, Benz is an excellent match with the VPI arm, I have a Benz LP-S riding on my 10.5i arm.

mulveling 03-30-2014 01:40 AM

I think any claim that any (choose one) well engineered high-end TT (which the Clearaudio certainly is) lacks in bass needs to be met with some funny looks. There are LOTS of ways to make the bass go AWOL in a high-end analog rig: poor cartridge/arm choice, phono stage, bad setup, etc. Or maybe even look at the speaker setup. Blaming the table is easy to do, but misguided.

I get pretty epic bass response with my Innovation Wood feeding into a Hagerman Trumpet and Bob's 1131 SUT. Cart is a Koetsu Jade Platinum; the platinums have great bass, but are certainly no bass monsters. The Trumpet/1131 pairing has the best bass response of the phono stages I've tried, and the differences between stages in bass are not particularly subtle. The tradeoff is that the Trumpet also doesn't have much of a subsonic filter, so you've got to be careful with isolation.

I'd actually like to try an Ortofon Windfeld in this setup. I had a hard time accepting the Windfeld's midrange (a far cry from Koetsu), but its bass was insane -- nimble, extended, and immensely powerful without a hint of bloat or sloppiness (i.e. analogous to the Trumpet/1131). I think the Windfeld with Innovation/1131/Trumpet would yield truly EPIC bass response.

adhesiv 03-30-2014 02:41 AM

Garrards are known for their bass impact and quality amongst there many other great qualities. I have mine in the marketplace right now, it's a stunner in both sound and look I just never get to use it (kids!) so I decided it's time to move on and downsize into something more affordable like a Well Tempered Amadeus so I can still play the occasional LP when the rare moment strikes.

Of your choices though I've heard the AMG and it's fantastic. I've heard some of the clearaudio's and they sound great too but that AMG always stuck out for me.