AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   New Maggie LRS (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45636)

timm 04-16-2019 02:52 PM

New Maggie LRS

So - fyi - Magnepan has come out with a new LRS model for 650 which is essentially an improved MMG replacement. I had an opportunity to hear them at Axpona and walked away very impressed.... Everyone I saw walk out of the room basically said 'wow'..... and they are getting back logged with orders.

Basically - what I heard was great imaging and typical Maggie soundstage and depth. What was most impressive was the bass. I just couldn't believe all of that was coming out of the panel. And - yes - it isn't 20hz bass... but it is clean and articulate with depth... A tympani resonates as does a bass guitar.

These could easily fit the bill for any room that did not lean on the very large side. I have my 20.7 in another system.... if my Martin Logan Odysseys ever go south on me - I would consider them for my living room space without hesitation.

NZ421291 04-16-2019 07:15 PM

I want a pair!

josh358 04-17-2019 04:54 PM

Second what Timm said -- they're jaw droppingly good. Some of the best sound at the show, and only $650? Mind blowing.

Beet Farmer 04-18-2019 03:01 PM

From reading other forums, the demand is very high. Magnepan is working hard, full time fulfilling orders for the new speaker design.
So it is a big hit, for BUYERS too.

Kingrex 04-24-2019 12:20 PM

I went to my dealer to hear them. They have no plans to carry them or the .7. Only the 3.7. I guess they would have to sell about 10,000 or more the equal 1 sale of a Dagostino Ref amp. If it was my business, I would do the same.

Mikado463 04-24-2019 03:09 PM

interesting listen Timm, Maggies continue to impress !

audioguy3107 04-24-2019 05:55 PM

https://www.magnepan.com/www/images/speakers/LRS-3.jpg

Good photo that shows the size

Higgens 04-24-2019 06:57 PM

Speakers like these are a great way to get younger people involved in audio. Good sound and inexpensive.

miatadan 06-11-2019 10:13 PM

With this new model Magnepan states:

" The LRS (Little Ribbon Speaker) is a full-range quasi-ribbon speaker that was designed from the ground up to give you a pretty good idea what to expect from the 20.7 or 30.7. The LRS was designed using high-end electronics and mono blocks. The LRS will perform nicely with a receiver, but it was intentionally designed to extract the most from high-end amplifiers and electronics. The LRS expects more from a properly designed high-current amplifier. That is a radical departure from most entry-level loudspeakers. If you put your expensive high-end amplifier on the LRS, you will hear the difference. "

When I had the MG1.7i they took too much room as my room is only 9 ft wide which resulted in only 3 foot distance between inside edges of MG1.7i.

Ordered a pair of LRS this morning , hoping they will work better with my room.

Freq. Resp. LRS 50 - 20 kHz MG1.7i 40-24 kHz

Will advise how they sound when they come in.

Dan

NZ421291 06-12-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatadan (Post 968318)

" The LRS (Little Ribbon Speaker) is a full-range quasi-ribbon speaker that was designed from the ground up to give you a pretty good idea what to expect from the 20.7 or 30.7. The LRS was designed using high-end electronics and mono blocks. The LRS will perform nicely with a receiver, but it was intentionally designed to extract the most from high-end amplifiers and electronics. The LRS expects more from a properly designed high-current amplifier. That is a radical departure from most entry-level loudspeakers. If you put your expensive high-end amplifier on the LRS, you will hear the difference. "

When I had the MG1.7i they took too much room as my room is only 9 ft wide which resulted in only 3 foot distance between inside edges of MG1.7i.

Dan

Cannot wait to see your follow-up on how they sound in your room!

Beet Farmer 07-10-2019 07:38 PM

Magnepan LRS are on the cover for Stereophile August issue. Includes review and measurements.

timm 07-10-2019 11:28 PM

Quote:

Dan

Heard them at axpona in a hotel room and they sounded great. The small room might really be the ticket for these as long as you can get them out from the front wall. Putting them close to the side wall will improve bass as well. Guys have placed their maggies 6” from side walls with good results. . Let us know.

Joe P 07-21-2019 02:18 PM

Stereophile Review:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-loudspeaker-0

audiojem 08-18-2019 10:34 AM

Magnepan LRS

I just received my pair waited about 90 days from date of order!
Sorry I have been busy and have not even opened them up hopefully tonight.
I will post once i set up and break In.
Regards
AJ

CDG 01-18-2020 08:44 PM

https://positive-feedback.com/review...rborne-stands/

CDG 01-23-2020 05:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIBSxiGQBlE

2fastdriving 01-23-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Dan

What did your dealer say about lead time? I asked mine about the LRS and he said forget it, they are so far behind it will take forever to get a pair. :scratch2:

CDG 01-25-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 993298)
What did your dealer say about lead time? I asked mine about the LRS and he said forget it, they are so far behind it will take forever to get a pair. :scratch2:

I called Magnepan on 1/24, and was told 6-9 weeks.

CDG 03-10-2020 06:38 PM

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...s-loudspeaker/

Shizukana_1 03-12-2020 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got lucky!

Had wanted to order the LRS past month but not feelin’ good about the wait times. Happy for Magnepan though. Yesterday on a hunch I called Shelley’s Stereo (Woodland Hills) right before my lunch break to inquire. A customer purchased the little ones a few days back but returned them for the .7’s.

Next moment, I cancelled everything including lunch, I was starving! But I immediately drove to the dealer in all kinds of L.A. traffic and made the purchase. Once home, at first audition I was hooked! Started off listening to Billie Holiday, Astrud Gilberto & Nancy Wilson. Their vocals were both floating and deliciously haunting.

Until the rain stops late next week, I’m running the little ones through my monster receiver - 1978 Sansui G-22000 @ 16 ohms, no sweat! Next week I’ll hook up my Shindo Lab monaural amps & Shindo Lab pre for some tube magic, also @ 16 ohms.

Shizukana_1 03-27-2020 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maggie LRS; Sansui G-22000
265wpc @ 8 ohms

timm 03-28-2020 12:20 AM

So how are they? How’s the bass in what appears to be a small room??

Shizukana_1 03-28-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timm (Post 1000033)
So how are they? How’s the bass in what appears to be a small room??

Yes, the tea room is small. AND boxy...comin’ in at 14x13x8. Bass: MIA first 14 hours; grew concerned maybe my goods were damaged? The delicious mids kept me entertained and patient. From there bass emerged gradually but somewhat lacking in slam and depth.

Past and current Maggie owners have shared bass will improve around 400 hours in. Currently, the little ones have 128 hours on the books. Interestingly, I went from waiting for bass to evolve to me being the one evolving around the bass presentation of the LRS. The bass returned is one of quality - taut, focused & quick. Few nights back, I leashed the maggies up my tube monaural amps. Played a studio session on vinyl with Nathan East, Keiko Matsui, Steve Forman & Vince Colaiuta. The texture of Nathan’s bass as his fingers ran around that neck...yessir!!!

Horizons: skip the sub and focus on getting the .7 or 1.7; pursue vintage speakers eventually.

Note .: speakers are appx 48” from wall behind; 48” from sidewall; 56” from each other; still evaluating seated position & speaker location.

Rick721 09-05-2020 04:37 PM

Good review on these LRS's

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...peaker-review/

Some say the D-Sonic Class D amps really make the LRS's sing!

https://www.d-sonic.net

I would LOVE to hear these LRS's with the new NAD Master M33 Integrated amp with the all new Purifi Class D Modules !..

Formerly YB-2 09-06-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizukana_1 (Post 998259)
Next week I’ll hook up my Shindo Lab monaural amps & Shindo Lab pre for some tube magic, also @ 16 ohms.

Any word on how they match up with your tubes? Inquiring minds and all that.........

Shizukana_1 09-07-2020 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1013829)
Any word on how they match up with your tubes? Inquiring minds and all that.........

Thanks to Anticables’ Zero-impedance boxes, it worked out quite nicely! Now I get to enjoy variety out of my maggies. Appx 300 hours through tubes, 200 hours solid-state so far. Two new changes last two weeks has enhanced my listening pleasure:

- Borrowed chinchilla fur from bedroom. Despite looking & feeling better inside the bedroom, once I discovered it resolved floor bounce and echoes in the living room, it ain’t going back!

- New 華 Hana-MH moving coil.

Currently have 61 hours on new phono stage and 37 hours on the Hana. So, I’m still out on a thrill ride...