AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PPP caused surge than started smoking (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=4381)

Omerta 05-13-2010 06:05 PM

PPP caused surge than started smoking

PPP caused a spike and shut down than started to smoke. This is my second PPP because I had trouble with the first one and I am starting to lose faith in them. I hope it did not fry one of my many expensive pieces of electronics. Any idea what could be wrong? Should I try to plug it in to see if it reset? What would start to smoke and poor out of the front of the air ducts?

Vintage Pete 05-13-2010 06:08 PM

UH oh....this doesn't sound good. I'm sure someone will chime in here and advise. Sounds like you'll be talking to the folks at PS Audio...good luck,
hope you get it figured out and solved.

Pete

Masterlu 05-13-2010 06:11 PM

If any electronic piece of equipment starts to smoke, it is in need of repair. Talk to Scott @ PS Audio or have your dealer get you a new one.

jdandy 05-13-2010 06:12 PM

Omerta.......DO NOT plug the PPP back in with any of your gear plugged into it. As a matter of fact, not not plug the PPP back into power. Box it, return it for a new one.

Omerta 05-13-2010 06:32 PM

I took out my EVO 707. With the Evo stuff the power switch is usually the breaker and that is not working. I can only hope there is a small fuse inside. I am besides my self over this. The first PPP I had would send pulses back into the line and make the lights flicker until I unplugged it and it reset it self. The replacement only had a small hum issue once and once it was reset it has been fine for quite a while. Of all pieces why the most expensive one... go figure.

Still-One 05-13-2010 08:54 PM

That is not good. From what I hear there is a wait to get one of the 707's too.

Omerta 05-13-2010 10:05 PM

It also knocked out my QB-9 but lucky it was only the fuse at the power inlet. My Krell guy is looking into if there is a fuse inside the processor. He also deals with ps audio. I asked if they take responsibility for damaging other products do to malfunctions with there's. If the thing started on fire I think it would be reasonable to say it was the re generators fault and easy to prove that it was the cause of the damage. I am not looking for any kind of battle I just want my system restored to its prior glory before turning it on today. If you guys hear your PPP humming or pulsing I would worry a little from my experience.

Ryan Conway 05-14-2010 10:06 AM

Indeed, this does not sound good. First thing you need to do is talk to Scott. Do this BEFORE you have anyone do anything with the processor. He'll want to have the Premier and the processor checked by our engineering team.

It is extremely rare for a Premier to allow any power through that would damage another component. I've been with PS nearly 5 years and in that time there has only been 2 occurrences of damage to anything connected to PS gear (this includes old gear as well). In both cases the connected gear was repaired or replaced on our dime.

Even if the Premier is not the cause we can help you to identify the cause, such as a spike to the Premier. Give Scott a call at 866-406-8946 today and let us help!

jdandy 05-14-2010 10:44 AM

Ryan Conway.......Way to go. :thumbsup:

John James 05-14-2010 11:25 AM

"And stepping up to the plate will be Ryan Conway! Let's hope he has a good at bat." :D