AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Revel Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Why no love for the Revel Salon 2's? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15616)

rscotth 08-19-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird
Thanks for the help on the TT Scott.
P.S. the biggest record store in the U.S. (in St. Petersburg, FL) is called Bananas (they have two locations in St. Petes). I went there today and walked out with an arm full of shiny new LP's. :)

Mike,

My pleasure. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. When I get over to the west coast, I'll check out Bananas and give you a shout to see if we can "listen".

Scott

mbovaird 08-19-2012 10:46 PM

Absolutely. Any time.

Ritmo 08-20-2012 05:11 AM

Mike,

A very nice room and system!

I'm still intrigued about your concerns with power. I have considered trying out the ARC Ref250s. My dealer has cautioned me that the 250 may not have enough power for the Salon 2s. Your comments on the 2301s supports my dealer's concerns.

Mike

mbovaird 08-20-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritmo
Mike,

A very nice room and system!

I'm still intrigued about your concerns with power. I have considered trying out the ARC Ref250s. My dealer has cautioned me that the 250 may not have enough power for the Salon 2s. Your comments on the 2301s supports my dealer's concerns.

Mike

Your dealer is probably right. It of course depends on your room size and just how loud you play them. Would the the 1.2's be too much? Maybe. The 501's or 601's would be just right? Of course, the folks at Harman recommend the ML 53's (rated at 500w per ch).

thesaint519 08-20-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird
no laughing at my make shift stand for the mc207.....i'm waiting on my amp stand. :) acoustic treatments are also on their way. Thanks to dan for all his help! Center speaker soon to be replaced by the voice2.....and down the road.....cables.....all in good time. :)

p.s. Except for the tv, the mounted screen and the two seaton submersives, all of what you see (and a few you don't see) has been acquired within the last 90 days:

Revel salon 2's
(2) mcintosh 2301's - w/gold lion tubes
mcintosh 1000 c/t/p
mcintosh mx151
mcintosh men220
mcintosh mcd1100
oppo 95
avid volvere tt/sme 309/dynavector xx2mkii mc
(2) apc s20 power conditioners
(2) apc s15 power conditioners
sony hw30aes 3d/1080p projector
stewart grayhawk screen (motorized)
(2) seaton submersives piano black/glossy finish
mac mini
logitech squeezebox
mirage omd-c2
(4) mirage omd-r
(2) mirage omnican oc-65
tv is some 55inch samsung 8000 thingamajig.
Fully balanced (xlr) throughout

my 401k wasn't making me money anyway.... :d

very nice!!

AudioNut 08-20-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 351928)
My question is this, why do these speakers not get a whole lot of respect? I see people on forums constantly asking for suggestions and the usual culprits are always mentioned, Sonus Faber, B&W, DynAudio, Wilson, etc....but rarely the Salon 2's. Why? Are they just not as well known? Do they look too much like a traditional speaker? Is it their inefficiencies to drive? Are they just not for many folks tastes? I'm just curious. All the other speakers mentioned are wonderful in their own right....so I'm curious why not the Salon 2's? Are they a hard speaker to "love" in an audition?

You bought the Salon 2's because you liked them. Please don't worry about what others here think, because their thoughts are based on lack of knowledge rather than actual experience with the speakers. Probably very few people here have ever seen or heard the Revel speakers, because had they done so, they would, at least, give them the respect they deserve.

Anyone who has ever heard the Salon 2's knows that they are among the very best and are a world-class bargain at their price point.

Keep the faith. You have great speakers.

Also please note that I am pretty much in the same boat. I own speakers that I know to be among the world's finest, and until audioguy3107 - who owns a pair of essentially the same speakers, came on board here on AA, I seemed to be the only person who had ever heard of the things.

Mine are Avalon Eidolons - bought new in 1999 and used continuously since that time - audioguy3107 owns a slightly "improved" version - but essentially the same speaker - and I don't give a tinker's damn about lack of interest in this forum because I know that they do things that more highly touted speakers are incapable of doing - plus - one of the most highly respected speakers here - The Wilson speakers, give me a debilitating headache and I can't listen to them for more than five minutes. Also note in my signature that I also have a pair of Audio Physic Caldera 3's - and I'm sure that no one here has ever even seen a pair of those.

So, my advice, ignore the fact that you don't get a whole lot of response when you speak of your speakers. Others here are often like lemmings - they follow the leader, and if the leader gets Wilsons, they start looking at Wilson, if Sonus Faber, they look at Sonus Faber and so on down the line. (By the way, I owned my pair of Sonus Fabers long before the leaders here started talking about them.)

Stop worrying and enjoy your wonderful speakers.

jdandy 08-20-2012 12:26 PM

Julian.......Are you done with the soap box? :D

AudioNut 08-20-2012 12:49 PM

As long as anyone will listen . . . :yuck:

And Dan, you are one of the leaders everyone follows anyway!

http://www.urban75.org/london/images...-corner-20.jpg

jdandy 08-20-2012 01:48 PM

Julian.......Anyone following me does so at their own risk. I'm not in the band, just a grip. :D

Still-One 08-20-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNut (Post 352162)
You bought the Salon 2's because you liked them. Please don't worry about what others here think, because their thoughts are based on lack of knowledge rather than actual experience with the speakers. Probably very few people here have ever seen or heard the Revel speakers, because had they done so, they would, at least, give them the respect they deserve.

Anyone who has ever heard the Salon 2's knows that they are among the very best and are a world-class bargain at their price point.

Keep the faith. You have great speakers.

Also please note that I am pretty much in the same boat. I own speakers that I know to be among the world's finest, and until audioguy3107 - who owns a pair of essentially the same speakers, came on board here on AA, I seemed to be the only person who had ever heard of the things.

Mine are Avalon Eidolons - bought new in 1999 and used continuously since that time - audioguy3107 owns a slightly "improved" version - but essentially the same speaker - and I don't give a tinker's damn about lack of interest in this forum because I know that they do things that more highly touted speakers are incapable of doing - plus - one of the most highly respected speakers here - The Wilson speakers, give me a debilitating headache and I can't listen to them for more than five minutes. Also note in my signature that I also have a pair of Audio Physic Caldera 3's - and I'm sure that no one here has ever even seen a pair of those.

So, my advice, ignore the fact that you don't get a whole lot of response when you speak of your speakers. Others here are often like lemmings - they follow the leader, and if the leader gets Wilsons, they start looking at Wilson, if Sonus Faber, they look at Sonus Faber and so on down the line. (By the way, I owned my pair of Sonus Fabers long before the leaders here started talking about them.)

Stop worrying and enjoy your wonderful speakers.

Julian
I thought all that running for office stuff was in your past. :lmao:

Jim