AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Automobiles (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Jeep Wrangler advice (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44960)

PHC1 01-24-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 950533)
Serge - where can I get one equipped like that? I've looked & looked at the option lists but can't find. ;)

Short of cruising down to the "red light" district with a wad of cash in hand, a time machine as previously mentioned is the only other option the way I see it... :D

PHC1 01-24-2019 07:38 PM

A bit of Jeep Trivia. There are 1,612 songs with the word "Jeep" in the lyrics.

Still working on the number of Movies with a Jeep, there are at least a few dozen with the earliest probably being the 1944 "Four Jills in a Jeep".

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....VL._SY445_.jpg

Antonmb 01-24-2019 07:58 PM

Jeep Wrangler advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 950535)
Tony,
Your wife mentioned she doesn’t like the Cherokee. Does she feel that way about the grand Cherokee? Two totally different cars. Definitely not the Wrangler though. More refined. I take my Grand Cherokee on some hairy roads here in Colorado. The Wrangler is more capable but unless you are with a group that can recover your vehicle, the Grand Cherokee will fill the bill for lost off road adventures.

It’s just the Wrangler that appeals to her: round headlights, Jeep grill, square back, high ride, the rugged Jeep vibe...apparently an itch since she was a teenager that she finally wants to scratch before she gets too old to drive one. Anything else is just another boring SUV to her, even my Mercedes - or especially my Mercedes.

PHC1 01-24-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 950541)
It’s just the Wrangler that appeals to her: round headlights, Jeep grill, square back, high ride, the rugged Jeep vibe...apparently an itch since she was a teenager that she finally wants to scratch before she gets too old to drive one. Anything else is just another boring SUV to her, even my Mercedes - or especially my Mercedes.

Tony, my sentiment exactly! word for word :D I have to have one at least once in my lifetime :yes:

mtroo 01-24-2019 11:47 PM

It is too bad that Toyota canceled the FJ. Kind of “Wrangler-esque”

For The Love of Music 01-25-2019 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 950538)
A bit of Jeep Trivia. There are 1,612 songs with the word "Jeep" in the lyrics.

Still working on the number of Movies with a Jeep, there are at least a few dozen with the earliest probably being the 1944 "Four Jills in a Jeep".

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....VL._SY445_.jpg

Phil Silvers AKA Sgt. Bilko

For The Love of Music 01-25-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 950541)

Aloha Tony, you recently got new gear, she gets a new Jeep!

Antonmb 01-25-2019 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 950570)
Aloha Tony, you recently got new gear, she gets a new Jeep!

Ha! I read this to my wife and she says she hasn’t even met you but she likes you already.

W9TR 01-25-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 950542)
Tony, my sentiment exactly! word for word :D I have to have one at least once in my lifetime :yes:

I totally get that vibe, I'll get one eventually for sure. It won't be my daily driver though.

stollen 01-25-2019 10:32 AM

I have a friend that has a 2018 JK Rubicon and my sister bought a 2019 JL Sport (both 4 door versions). Currently the JK does have a ton more aftermarket support, but I am sure the JL will get there.

I have helped my friend do new all new lighting, a full stereo (head unit, all speakers, sub, amp), and front bumper. Everything was super easy to do, except for some of the head unit wiring but that was just because I have been out of the mobile audio game for too long and didn't realize how many extra harnesses and stuff you wire in to keep your existing steering wheel controls etc. these days. It is comfortable enough I suppose, but not anywhere I would want to be for more than 3 hours or so.

My sister's JL on the other hand is much nicer inside than my friend's JK. The freedom tops on the hard top (panels over the driver and front passenger) are much easier to take out on the JL than the JK. My sister bought the soft top as well for hers and has a pulley system to basically lift the hard top off and store it hanging from the ceiling of her garage in the summer. It takes a total of 8 bolts, unplug one wiring harness and the rear window washer line to get the hard top ready to lift off, super easy. She did actually have a case of the "death wobble" as mentioned earlier which the dealer fixed by replacing the steering stabilizer with a revised unit. She is normally not one to drive in snow, she usually calls me if she needs to pick up her daughter early from school due to bad weather. Yesterday she took the Jeep by herself on snow covered roads and said it handled perfectly.

The JK was a proven platform by 2018 and yeah, the JL is still fresh and new, but its not like this is the first time Jeep has built a Wrangler. If it were my money I would go with the JL. The only disappointing thing with the JL is they reduced the size of the front speakers so now without major customization the stereo will never have as much potential as the one in the JK.