AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Elipsa SE's Tweeter Surrounding material not aging well (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48199)

esteban 06-07-2020 01:36 PM

Elipsa SE's Tweeter Surrounding material not aging well

My Elipsa SE's (or "Reds") are almost exactly 5 years old. They still sound great. But lately, I noticed that the material used on and around the tweeter area (right around the "sonus faber" etched logo) is showing signs of what I could only describe as "aging". This is a rubbery, soft material. I do not know its name nor exact composition. The tweeters themselves sound perfectly fine and nothing seems to be affected sound-wise, but visually there is a faint, minor discoloration around this area and the material is becoming slightly "sticky" to the touch. I tried cleaning this but I only made it worse, so I just let it be.

I tried taking photos, but it's really hard to capture. It is minor, but noticeable only from up close and when touching the surface area immediately around the ring radiator tweeter.

Is this normal? In my experience, most of these rubbery / soft materials used in so many other products tend to get sticky and eventually start to disintegrate. Should I be worried?

TommyC 06-07-2020 02:39 PM

I believe the leather on the Elipsa is different than that of the Homage line. The Elipsa leather has bigger grain like a small pebble whereas the Homage line is smoother.

I had my my Guarneri Memento for about 11 years before I sold it. Every part of it looked brand new. I dusted it every 2 weeks and that was it. Oh I think I use the included cleaning solution once on the leather.

Does the Elipsa come with a cleaning solution that you can use?

esteban 06-07-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 1006575)
Does the Elipsa come with a cleaning solution that you can use?

Mine did not. I still have the original boxes. I do not think they include that product anymore. I have to point out, however, that the leather looks fine. I also dust the speakers often. The problem seems to be *only* in the area surrounding the tweeter dome, which is made of a different material. This is the enclosure with the screws and the engraved "sonus faber" logo. From the looks of it, it could be easily replaced, if needed. Just a matter of unscrewing and taking the entire part out. The area is grayish and feels soft and slightly sticky to the touch. It is not grainy nor does it feel organic.

TommyC 06-07-2020 03:52 PM

I see. Looks like the tweeter is different between the Elipsa and the Homage series. Mine was perfect. No sticky feeling or any form of "aging."

I'm surprised you have this issue on a 5-year old speaker. Are you able to reach out to your dealer or distributor?

metaphacts 06-08-2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 1006585)
I see. Looks like the tweeter is different between the Elipsa and the Homage series. Mine was perfect. No sticky feeling or any form of "aging."

I'm surprised you have this issue on a 5-year old speaker. Are you able to reach out to your dealer or distributor?

Just as a reminder, the tweeter in the Elipsa SE is the Stradivari tweeter. That's a part of what differentiates the SE from the original Elipsa.

Josep 06-08-2020 01:11 AM

I have the same problem with Olympica 3 (old model). As you say after cleaning it gets worse (more sticky).

It seems nothing i can do. I guess if one day i want to sell it, will have negative impact in price.

esteban 06-08-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 1006626)
Just as a reminder, the tweeter in the Elipsa SE is the Stradivari tweeter. That's a part of what differentiates the SE from the original Elipsa.

Bill, would you say what I described is normal and/or to be expected as the materials age?

esteban 06-08-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josep (Post 1006629)
I have the same problem with Olympica 3 (old model). As you say after cleaning it gets worse (more sticky).

It seems nothing i can do. I guess if one day i want to sell it, will have negative impact in price.

Glad I am not the only one, although I share your concern as well. Not that I am planning to sell! :)

metaphacts 06-08-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteban (Post 1006638)
Bill, would you say what I described is normal and/or to be expected as the materials age?

I wouldn't say expected. I've not seen what i think you are describing. It is a remote possibility that environmental factors might cause issues. But if you are in air conditioned/ low-moderate humidity 24/7, that should be fine.

I'm still not sure what you are describing as being sticky. It sounds like you are referring to the tweeter faceplate, not the driver itself. Can you post a pic and add your description? It doesn't have to be too close - just need it as a point of reference for discussion.

paltomare 06-08-2020 05:07 PM

I have a pair of Elipsa's (non-SE) with the same problem. Mine came with leather conditioner, which I've only used on the leather. The leather is fine but the tweeter surround has become tacky to the touch. I spoke with a rep from SF who suggested wiping it with paint thinner to take the aging material off.
There is no way I'm doing that!
My dealer offered to contact SF for a replacement pair of tweeters but I haven't pursued it since they sound fine....maybe someday.