AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Blunders (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47641)

For The Love of Music 02-25-2020 11:58 AM

Blunders

We all make mistakes.

I quickly realized bourbon and tonearm operation does not go hand in hand

Dropping the needle at platter speed of 45rpm, the stylus landed and pushed out resting on the platters edge, the speakers yelled at me, “Fool”, - no damage affecting sound quality - I felt I got lucky!

Carelessly grabbing a record from the cleaner it slipped out my hands, hitting my guitar, it scratched the last song on side B of a Kenny Burnell Tone Poets album.

Take away: No alcohol operating a turntable, and firmly squeeze grab an album with your palms when handling records!

Anyone else care to mention some of your blunders?

Masterlu 02-25-2020 12:12 PM

Blunders + Alcohol = System Cost to the 3rd Power :eek:

PMCH 02-25-2020 12:49 PM

Too many Blunders for me from just being klutzy. I have damaged too many records and styluses, so now I only play CD's, SACD's, downloaded and streamed music. This makes it more difficult for me to hurt anything.

audioguy3107 02-25-2020 01:13 PM

I think we all remember the “Tape 2 monitor” button from the 80’s and 90’s.......

“Damn, there’s no sound, WTH? “. After 2 hours of troubleshooting........wait a minute, you hit the Tape 2 monitor button and almost blow your speakers! :D

- Buck

Cohibaman 02-25-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 996479)
I think we all remember the “Tape 2 monitor” button from the 80’s and 90’s.......

“Damn, there’s no sound, WTH? “. After 2 hours of troubleshooting........wait a minute, you hit the Tape 2 monitor button and almost blow your speakers! :D

- Buck

:roflmao:

I knew exactly where this was going when I saw “Tape 2 monitor”!

Cohibaman 02-25-2020 02:04 PM

Blunders

Years ago I was messing with the wiring on my stereo. I removed the speaker cables from the amp’s binding posts - yeah, they were monster cables. ;D

Anyway, over time, the cable developed a 90° bend that perfectly matched the spacing of 120VAC outlets. When I let go of the cable end, it miraculously fell right into an open outlet on a power strip. It momentarily sent 120VAC @ 60Hz to one of my Klipsch Heresy II’s. Scared the living hell out of me, my wife, and the cats!

The speakers are still rocking to this day in my exercise room. :thumbsup:

Masterlu 02-25-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 996482)
Years ago I was messing with the wiring on my stereo. I removed the speaker cables from the amp’s binding posts - yeah, they were monster cables. ;D

Anyway, over time, the cable developed a 90° bend that perfectly matched the spacing of 120VAC outlets. When I let go of the cable end, it miraculously fell right into an open outlet on a power strip. It momentarily sent 120VAC @ 60Hz to one of my Klipsch Heresy II’s. Scared the living hell out of me, my wife, and the cats!

The speakers are still rocking to this day in my exercise room. :thumbs up:

Congrats you Passed the 60Hz torture test. :D

damacman 02-26-2020 03:12 AM

Alcohol + futzing with the headshell + preamp volume set to 77 + 1.2kw/ch ...

Fortunately, only a blown (vaporized) speaker fuse resulted.

Macuser 02-26-2020 06:51 AM

Just last week; sober and mistakenly plugging the fixed rather than the variable output of my tuner into a 100 power amp into khorns. If anyone is wondering a full 100 watts into 105db efficient khorns is outrageously loud.

antipop 02-26-2020 01:43 PM

I had a friend over, very knowledgeable in hifi. I wanted him to diagnose a hum that I had.

So I put a select an empty input on the preamp and turn the volume to the max. I didn't realize that music was still player in my other input so when I selected it we got a very unpleasant surprise.

The speaker did survive it and it was instant burn-in. I got freaked out for a while.