AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My MC2105 lights are looking tired...LEDs? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42010)

McGuyDLF 01-27-2018 10:32 AM

My MC2105 lights are looking tired...LEDs?

So, lights seem pretty dim, especially in comparison to my new MP100 - which makes perfect sense as I'm sure the new models use LEDs. If I recall, and it's been over a year, I think I bought a set of LEDs from ebay and replaced my lights and ended up putting the old ones back in as I didn't see a real difference. Could just be the quality of the ones I got.

Has anyone replaced their bulbs with LEDs? Or even a different type of bulb? And if we use LEDs, do we need some type of mini transformer for them? And yes, I'm a newbie at this stuff!

TIA!

Maks 01-27-2018 10:35 AM

Google "radio lab works mcintosh led"

McGuyDLF 01-27-2018 10:43 AM

Interesting, except unless I'm mistaken, those lights are BLUE.

jdandy 01-27-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGuyDLF (Post 895479)
So, lights seem pretty dim, especially in comparison to my new MP100 - which makes perfect sense as I'm sure the new models use LEDs. If I recall, and it's been over a year, I think I bought a set of LEDs from ebay and replaced my lights and ended up putting the old ones back in as I didn't see a real difference. Could just be the quality of the ones I got.

Has anyone replaced their bulbs with LEDs? Or even a different type of bulb? And if we use LEDs, do we need some type of mini transformer for them? And yes, I'm a newbie at this stuff!

TIA!

McGuyDLF.......Check eBay. There are quite a few LED kits and LED bulbs for the MC2105 and other McIntosh amps, turners and preamps.

McGuyDLF 01-27-2018 01:37 PM

true, but as I posted, the set I tried didn't do much. Figure i'd ask here if anyone bought a set from anywhere that actually work. I'm sure some of the ebay ones are great but not in the mood to buy and return them

62caddy 01-27-2018 02:07 PM

Did you try simply replacing with a fresh set of OEM spec incandescent lamps? The originals may have simply grown dim over time even though they are still functional.

McGuyDLF 01-27-2018 02:47 PM

I have not

djwhog 01-27-2018 08:08 PM

Yep new bulbs will make it better, and LEDS a HUGE notch brighter...

McGuyDLF 01-27-2018 09:26 PM

trying to find LEDs that will work! that's the issue. the ones I got did not help any. are they just plug and play with no "transformer" or other thingy?

sgbroimp 04-18-2018 01:58 PM

There is a guy called Captainfantastic on Ebay showing a lot of LED sets for Mc amps, preamps etc. Looks like he did his homework, but has anyone bought and installed a set?