AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cable Fraud, Is It Real? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42078)

For The Love of Music 02-03-2018 02:32 AM

Cable Fraud, Is It Real?

You read the warnings about fraud when it comes to cables from manufacturers web-sites, is it too much to ask a cable manufacturer to validate serial numbers?

Still wonder who really is making cables in a fraudulent way, and how many of these do they really sell to such a small community or is it a game of fear to always feed the machine?

Thoughts?

Bar81 02-03-2018 06:35 AM

It seems real enough, particularly with high priced cables that are popular in Asia like Siltech. Asia is a huge high end audio market. Do you have experience where manufacturers refuse to validate serial numbers?

FDPDK 02-03-2018 07:23 AM

NordOst will not do that anymore , they told me. As there are too many asking, also according to NordOst.

cleeds 02-03-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDPDK (Post 896918)
NordOst will not do that anymore , they told me. As there are too many asking, also according to NordOst.

That's odd - I would think they'd be grateful that people are authenticating their products. That's in the maunufacturer's best interest. What's the value of a serial number if it can't be referenced?

FDPDK 02-03-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 896922)
That's odd - I would think they'd be grateful that people are authenticating their products. That's in the maunufacturer's best interest. What's the value of a serial number if it can't be referenced?

I can only say i think the same as you do, but as i asked for them if they would, i was told no as they dont have enough time to do so. Also seems kind of odd to me as i would suppose a bigger company like them would have serial numbers on computer where it wouldn't take them long to look up.

CGabriel 02-03-2018 09:40 AM

Unfortunately, it is a real problem. They just emulate the outer appearance of a cable. The innards are absolute crap. In some cases, they don’t try all that hard to do a good job on the outside. This is one of the reasons we no longer use printed heatshrink for labeling. it is far to easy to duplicate. There is actually a high-end speaker in China “designed by Caelin Gabriel”. For the record, I have never designed a speaker.

Of more concern to me are the people ripping off technology and applying to their own product lines. These people we prosecute. We have even received Chinese patents so the we can prosecute Chinese manufacturers.

We receive many requests to validate authenticity of our products weekly, We are very happy to provide this information. Usually all it takes is a closeup photo or the serial number.

The Lost Bears 02-03-2018 12:01 PM

I would like to say that Shunyata has been wonderful about authenticating cables. They have authenticated all the power and signal cables I bought used. I emailed them pictures and serial number and they were quick to reply. They also have excellent customer service. I broke the end of a Venom USB cable I bought new a couple years ago. They were very quick again to reply and give me an RMA number.

I have heard that Audioquest is one of the brands that you have to be careful about fakes. I would be very leery of any cable coming from China or Asia.

jdandy 02-03-2018 12:04 PM

Caelin.......I am pleased to read you prosecute counterfeiters of your products. These thieves deserve to be unmasked and made to suffer the consequences of their illegal activities. Intellectual property and proprietary designs are your rightful creations. Those who seek to steal from you deserve the full force of the law brought down upon them. I commend your actions and wish other manufacturers would be more willing to share your concern and efforts.

CGabriel 02-03-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 896963)
Caelin.......I am pleased to read you prosecute counterfeiters of your products. These thieves deserve to be unmasked and made to suffer the consequences of their illegal activities. Intellectual property and proprietary designs are your rightful creations. Those who seek to steal from you deserve the full force of the law brought down upon them. I commend your actions and wish other manufacturers would be more willing to share your concern and efforts.

Thank you, Dan. We have shutdown several operations in China with the help of our “Chinese Authorities”. And a couple in the good old US of A.

W9TR 02-03-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

We receive many requests to validate authenticity of our products weekly, We are very happy to provide this information. Usually all it takes is a closeup photo or the serial number.
Bravo! I would expect high end luxury product manufacturers to gladly validate the authenticity of their wares. Counterfeiting is rampant and interconnects are an easy target. Part of the long term value of a high end offering is a guarantee of its provenance.