AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Lamm (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Just Bought A Lamm Lp2 Deluxe! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26587)

kleinbje 05-05-2014 04:04 PM

Just Bought A Lamm Lp2 Deluxe!

I am new to Lamm equipment but received an offer I could not refuse. Will get it this week. Any tips on set up, placement, rolling, power, and signal cables. I am super excited, this is my first serious phono pre, I am coming from an aleph ono and manley chinook. Thanks.

Jeff

cmalak 05-06-2014 01:26 AM

Jeff...congrats on what will undoubtedly be a big step up in the phono stage:thumbsup: What are the partnering table/cartridge? How about rest of the system? Congrats again. Lamm is the real deal!

S1chen 05-06-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleinbje (Post 604370)
I am new to Lamm equipment but received an offer I could not refuse. Will get it this week. Any tips on set up, placement, rolling, power, and signal cables. I am super excited, this is my first serious phono pre, I am coming from an aleph ono and manley chinook. Thanks.

Jeff

Go search for the WE417A, use either Kubala Sonsna Elation power cord or Transparent PLMM2X, use a step up transformer if you plan to play low impedance cartridge of less than 10 ohms. It is a wonderful phono.

kleinbje 05-06-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S1chen (Post 604556)
Go search for the WE417A, use either Kubala Sonsna Elation power cord or Transparent PLMM2X, use a step up transformer if you plan to play low impedance cartridge of less than 10 ohms. It is a wonderful phono.

Well I fired it up for a few sides last night. I bought it second hand and it is loaded with amperex pq tubes and and amperex driver tube. It has a fancy ass fuse that is directional. I took it out and I am not sure if I put it back the right way, as I didn't see the arrow because it was facing down. Any idea which way the flow is? The sound is dead quiet, that is what I cant believe. So quiet. I am noticing tics and pops that I never noticed with the chinook which sucks, but the separation and spacing is amazing. Is this a feedback design thing or a resolution thing(the pops)? Right now I have a running springs mongoose power chord(linear golden reference). I am using a Classic 3 with a Lyra Kleos SL. Nordost Tyr interconnect cables with Cardas Clear speaker wire(have some tyr coming soon to try), my pre is an olive Naim NAC52 with a NAP250. My speakers are Joseph audio Perspectives. My conditioning is a Running Springs Audio Dmitri with HZ for it and the amp. My dream system pretty much, never knew music could sound so good. Just put the 3d arm on too so still tweaking that, waiting for the wire to burn in first. Thanks for all the help

Jeff

kleinbje 05-06-2014 10:28 PM

Can you recommend a SUT as my Kleos SL is 3.7ohms? I'm looking for champagne on a beer budget as this means another set of tyrs as well.

kleinbje 05-07-2014 01:15 AM

Oh Man!! It is settling in. German White album, best I ever heard dear prudence by far . OMFG! Listening to a Parrot Mono Them "Here comes the night", so magical. I am having so much fun relistening to my records.

RoadDawgWest 05-10-2014 01:01 PM

kleinbje
Congratulations on the Lamm LP2. It's great to hear the LP2 is bringing joy to your listening and music.

Ritmo 05-10-2014 07:53 PM

Huge congrats Jeff!

S1chen 05-12-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleinbje (Post 604708)
Can you recommend a SUT as my Kleos SL is 3.7ohms? I'm looking for champagne on a beer budget as this means another set of tyrs as well.

If you can find the Lyra Erodion, it is best match SUT. If money is not a problem, go for the Kondo KSL-SFz.

kleinbje 05-13-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S1chen (Post 604556)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S1chen (Post 606290)
If you can find the Lyra Erodion, it is best match SUT. If money is not a problem, go for the Kondo KSL-SFz.

I'll check them out. I talked to Vladamir Lamm and he stated the SUT in the LAMM should be perfect for the lyra, though the spec would imply a lower impedence 10-15 rather than the LP2's 40ohms. I have plenty of Gain and zero noise. What should I be listening for as a result of the decreased load on the cartridge? I don't seem to have any ringing or treble anomalies/harshness. I am loving this preamp. Insanely good. Does anyone know which direction the current across the fuse goes?

Jeff

S1chen 05-14-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleinbje (Post 606586)
I'll check them out. I talked to Vladamir Lamm and he stated the SUT in the LAMM should be perfect for the lyra, though the spec would imply a lower impedence 10-15 rather than the LP2's 40ohms. I have plenty of Gain and zero noise. What should I be listening for as a result of the decreased load on the cartridge? I don't seem to have any ringing or treble anomalies/harshness. I am loving this preamp. Insanely good. Does anyone know which direction the current across the fuse goes?

Jeff

If you don't hear a problem on the build in SUT, just leave it and enjoy it. It should be enough gain for the medium output Lyra cartridge. Only if you have more budget and wish to get even better resolution, you can add the external SUT.

fjn04 05-14-2014 10:33 PM

Yes- Great phono stage. As Vlad states, you should be fine with the Lyra's. If you ever drop down to 0.4 ohm or below, then an SUT would make sense.

kleinbje 05-16-2014 02:23 PM

actually.. My Kleos Sl is .25mv

fjn04 05-16-2014 07:00 PM

I ran a Koetsu, and also a Low output Benz in to an LP2 some years
ago. I think it lacked a sort of dynamic jump factor w/ them. I can't speak for your Lyra, and it's .25 mv rating. What I can say is, I wish I tried an SUT at that time. When I heard a .6 mv Shelter at my dealers, it was a nice match w/ the Lamm.

kleinbje 05-17-2014 01:30 PM

Can anyone tell me the orientation of the fuse? Current runs toward the edge of chassis or center? Thanks, came with a hifi fuse and I didn't notice it had a polarity until it was too late. Also I just got some 417a's, I know they should improve on the Amperex 5842 in there now, but I was curious about changing the rectifier tube. I know it converts ac to dc and can limit current in amps, but a phono pre I think would have very low current draw. Anyone hear changes in a phono pre when changing rectifiers? Thanks

kleinbje 05-21-2014 06:39 PM

I put in the WE417A's, wow they are impressive. Much better bass, and space, maybe more noise but still crazy quiet.

Syntax 05-23-2014 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjn04 (Post 607372)
I ran a Koetsu, and also a Low output Benz in to an LP2 some years
ago. I think it lacked a sort of dynamic jump factor w/ them. I can't speak for your Lyra, and it's .25 mv rating. What I can say is, I wish I tried an SUT at that time. When I heard a .6 mv Shelter at my dealers, it was a nice match w/ the Lamm.

That wasn't a problem from the internal gain (59.5dB) of the LP2, that was a problem (not perfect matching) from the output LP2 into input Preamp (the signal into Pre got weak and needed another amplification, but lost is lost)....some compensate this his a stronger cartridge but it is a compensation. Seems it works great with 0.25mV (also my experience with it) and the Naim Preamp.With the right Preamp match even 0.20mV MC's are no problem. The LP2 is done very well. True in tone, soundstage and holographic body... much too cheap compared to other Phonostages when you look for the real thing reproduction :-)

kleinbje 06-08-2014 07:15 PM

I have been rolling some 6X4's in my phono pre. One single FW rectifier tube. It came with an amperex from the 70's, I rolled in a GE from '52 NOS, everything just seemed better. The amperex had detail, but it was like being at a museum, no groove, didn't rock. The Ge's were spacious, just huge soundstage, slightly more noise than the amperexs, but damn quiet. Being shocked at the difference a rectifier tube( a****indiode!) had on the sound, I ordered a bunch more tubes, the ge was bought just to have a backup in house. I picked up a sylvania in a yellow box, cant find the date code, I rolled that in last week. Wow!! The difference was startling. The vocals are much more present and "thick", the bass is way deeper, and this is not hyperbole , I am talking resonances where there never were any at the same volume level. The sound stage is a bit smaller, but still big, it seems to be quieter than the GE. It really rocks though, it just presents music with more of that x-factor that keeps you engaged. I have 2 RCA's and another 2 GE's to try, it is really startling the difference in sound between these tubes. It seems when I changed 6922/7308's in my Chinook the differences were much more subtle, though I was comparing very high grade tubes and my system is much more revealing with the Lamm. Looking for advice and recommendations

cmalak 06-08-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syntax (Post 609056)
That wasn't a problem from the internal gain (59.5dB) of the LP2, that was a problem (not perfect matching) from the output LP2 into input Preamp (the signal into Pre got weak and needed another amplification, but lost is lost)....some compensate this his a stronger cartridge but it is a compensation. Seems it works great with 0.25mV (also my experience with it) and the Naim Preamp.With the right Preamp match even 0.20mV MC's are no problem. The LP2 is done very well. True in tone, soundstage and holographic body... much too cheap compared to other Phonostages when you look for the real thing reproduction :-)

Or perhaps it's correctly priced and competing amps are much too expensive relatively speaking for what they deliver for the price compared to the LP2 :D

Ok...sorry for the intermission, back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Tax 12-06-2014 07:19 PM

I am a LP2 user for approx 3 years.

My observations based on my experience for any other owners or potential buyers is as follows;

. The Jensen 31dB SUT which is optional through Lamm or available aftermarket is a must if you intend using cartridges with 0.4mV or lower output. It makes a big difference in dynamics. Trying to address what is lost in the phono by increasing the gain or volume on a separate preamp is not the same has having the higher output SUT installed on the LP2's MC stage and feeding that to your preamp.

. Changing the two 0.47uF capacitors before and after the second set of tubes to V-Cap CuTF or Duelund's or other similar cap (depending on your taste and system synergy) brings the LP2 to a whole new level.

Masterlu 12-07-2014 05:20 PM

Tax... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Tax 03-28-2016 05:26 AM

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 656897)
Tax... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Thank you @Masterlu

c17aggie 03-04-2018 10:20 PM

Really no such thing as a Directional fuse as the current flows thru the fuse and if too much current flows thru the fuse the metal will "melt" or burn thtu and then current to the device will be stopped. There is no +/- side to it. If it has a +/- on the fuse something is not right. Open your owners manual and buy the Mfg fuse for the unit vs some aftermarket fuse and call the tech dept and ask the experts for the unit.

kleinbje 05-11-2018 04:46 AM

Agreed it is a strange concept, but the fuse has a current arrow. The question was about current direction.

Capranera 02-04-2019 08:13 PM

I have an LP2 Deluxe that I've had for 8-10 years. Unfortunately, it started going bad. It would constantly cycle through the power on sequence and never stay on. I sent it back to Lamm and they found a burned power resistor, which they replaced and charged plenty for it. It then was fine for a couple of months and then started doing it again. When I contacted them, they said it was fine while they had it. I was concerned when they repaired it because they couldn't say why the resistor blew other than it didn't have enought circulation around it. When I got it back, I had it on top of a cabinet with all the air it needed. I no longer have it in the system and replaced it with an ARC Ref Phono 2SE, but I feed fleeced.

kleinbje 10-24-2019 06:42 AM

I'm having the same problem now, any thoughts? Did you sort it out? I'll have them replace all the power resistors even is they measure ok. Sending it in soon. Trying the little loco while it gets fixed. Have beautiful new 417a's to use when fixed.

Formerly YB-2 10-24-2019 08:32 PM

Caps and tubes often take out a resistor. That's where I would look.

Gavin_H 11-04-2019 01:31 PM

..lamm

..is as good as it gets...congrats