AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tuners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   High end tuner with XMSR (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=17651)

Penthouse-D 12-03-2012 08:05 PM

High end tuner with XMSR

As I purge my system of McIntosh and their horrific quality control problems, I'd like to replace my MR88 with another tuner that has XMSR. Any suggestions? Thanks!

bradleyc 12-03-2012 08:31 PM

Checkout Magnum Dynalab tuners, good luck with your replacement gear!

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

redm 12-03-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penthouse-D (Post 405176)
As I purge my system of McIntosh and their horiffic quality control problems, I'd like to replace my MR88 with another tuner that has XMSR. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what kind of quality issues have you run into? :scratch2:

vintage_tube 12-03-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradleyc (Post 405198)
Checkout Magnum Dynalab tuners, good luck with your replacement gear!

+1 -- you can call them in Canada and ask if they have any refurbished units available -- the MD609T is very nice & strictly XM & retails for $4K; factory refurbished around <$3K.

I bought a couple refurbished units from MD in the past and they were perfect. So, don't let the word itself sway you.

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob

jdandy 12-03-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penthouse-D (Post 405176)
As I purge my system of McIntosh and their horiffic quality control problems, I'd like to replace my MR88 with another tuner that has XMSR. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jim.......Good luck in your quest to find another tuner that delivers all the features and performance of the McIntosh MR88.

You just can't pass up an opportunity to get another dig in on McIntosh, right? It seems like every post you've made lately has one. Say what you like, but McIntosh does not have a "horrific quality control problem". Just because you seem to revel in bashing them on a regular basis doesn't mean your exaggerated rhetoric represents the truth or anything near it.

We get it. There's a sand spur under your saddle blanket. You have made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion you're finished with McIntosh for whatever reasons. That's fine, but why continue to make yourself appear intolerant by continuously spouting negative exaggerations? There are plenty of McIntosh owners worldwide that don't share your opinion at all.

I see a new Esoteric K-03 in your signature. By all accounts it is a fantastic machine, but don't think for a minute Esoteric hasn't had reliability issues with their gear. They certainly have. All companies have design and production issues, as well as failures from time to time. The best companies rise to those challenges and solve them, and that includes McIntosh.

As a McIntosh fan for nearly 45 years, I felt obliged to offer my opinion. I doubt seriously you are enlisting many, if any, avid followers with your constant negative McIntosh barrage, but carry on as you wish. Each time I read a post of yours like the one above I acquire a reduced sense of value for the worth of your comments in general, but hey, that's just me.

jdandy 12-03-2012 09:48 PM

Bob.......The Magnum Dynalab tuners have always been on my wish list. I don't know whay I haven't invested in one yet.

My favorite is their new MD-108T. Super sweet. Of course it won't do AM/XM/HD, just some of the best FM reception on the planet.

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/images/...108t-large.jpg

bradleyc 12-04-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 405207)

+1 -- you can call them in Canada and ask if they have any refurbished units available -- the MD609T is very nice & strictly XM & retails for $4K; factory refurbished around <$3K.

I bought a couple refurbished units from MD in the past and they were perfect. So, don't let the word itself sway you.

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob

+1 on the MD refurb units Bob. All electronics that can wear out are replaced during the refurb process, and they come with a lifetime $130 deductible warranty per occurrence, same warranty as their new tuners.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

VT Skier 12-04-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 405269)
Jim.......Good luck in your quest to find another tuner that delivers all the features and performance of the McIntosh MR88.

You just can't pass up an opportunity to get another dig in on McIntosh, right? It seems like every post you've made lately has one. Say what you like, but McIntosh does not have a "horrific quality control problem". Just because you seem to revel in bashing them on a regular basis doesn't mean your exaggerated rhetoric represents the truth or anything near it.

We get it. There's a sand spur under your saddle blanket. You have made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion you're finished with McIntosh for whatever reasons. That's fine, but why continue to make yourself appear intolerant by continuously spouting negative exaggerations? There are plenty of McIntosh owners worldwide that don't share your opinion at all.

I see a new Esoteric K-03 in your signature. By all accounts it is a fantastic machine, but don't think for a minute Esoteric hasn't had reliability issues with their gear. They certainly have. All companies have design and production issues, as well as failures from time to time. The best companies rise to those challenges and solve them, and that includes McIntosh.

As a McIntosh fan for nearly 45 years, I felt obliged to offer my opinion. I doubt seriously you are enlisting many, if any, avid followers with your constant negative McIntosh barrage, but carry on as you wish. Each time I read a post of yours like the one above I acquire a reduced sense of value for the worth of your comments in general, but hey, that's just me.

These types of posts are why I don't view this forum as particularly "friendly", despite protestations to the contrary. It seems fine to bash Magico and other brands that the inner circle here do not like, but any negative comments about McIntosh or Wilson (and other brands) bring vitriol in response.

Clearly the OP has had bad experiences with McIntosh. Why not just respond to his inquiry about other tuners? I read his McIntosh aside as stating the reason for his switch, nothing more.

Masterlu 12-04-2012 08:38 AM

:boring:

Penthouse-D 12-04-2012 10:44 AM

Thanks VT Skier. Brand loyalty is a good thing, until the company changes and lets you down. McIntosh made excellent gear for many years. Things have changed. To address my new Esoteric K-03, it works flawlessly, sounds great,built like a tank and does what it supposed to do. Unlike my McIntosh $10K MCD1100 that took the company almost 2 years to resolve, and then had the nerve to make ME pay for shipping to correct the problem. Just one of MANY issues me and other Mc owners have had. Pay close attention to this board. Many McIntosh owners are making switches. Now let's find me a tuner! P.S. VT Skier. GORGEOUS state you live in. I've been may times. Super nice people also!