AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Accuphase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Accuphase DC-37 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29548)

tp1 12-22-2014 11:30 PM

Accuphase DC-37

I couldn't wait for the local launch of the DC-37 and ordered mine from a contact in Japan. It arrived yesterday and here it is .

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps3cc54cf4.jpg

It does sound a lot like the DP-720 so no surprises there. At the moment I have it hooked up to my DP-700 via HS-link. The results are superb and I can't wait for it to be fully run in. I have no idea how long that will take but it's running 24/7 in the meantime.

Masterlu 12-22-2014 11:45 PM

Very nice; Congrats on a wonderful acquisition. :ok:

wawa_chan 12-24-2014 07:34 PM

Congrats, beautiful unit.

Banter 02-09-2015 02:08 PM

DC-37 as a preamp - any experience?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tp1 (Post 661017)
I couldn't wait for the local launch of the DC-37 and ordered mine from a contact in Japan. It arrived yesterday and here it is .

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps3cc54cf4.jpg

It does sound a lot like the DP-720 so no surprises there. At the moment I have it hooked up to my DP-700 via HS-link. The results are superb and I can't wait for it to be fully run in. I have no idea how long that will take but it's running 24/7 in the meantime.

Anyone have any experience using DC-37 or DG-58 as a preamp?

Elberoth 02-09-2015 08:24 PM

How does it compare to the DP-700 sonicly ?

vln 03-15-2015 09:28 AM

Beautiful unit, I got mine about a month ago and it was certainly an improvement over the DAC40 board I was using in my C-2120 at the time. Enjoy!

Best regards,
Samuel.

Mattia 03-18-2015 06:48 AM

Quote:

Anyone have any experience using DC-37 or DG-58 as a preamp?
I am now using the DG-58 directly connected to the power amplifier via XLR.

Aside from the fact that if you want to change level on the DG-58 you have to navigate in the menu (also possible to do by remote if you have 20/20 eyesight :D ), is working perfectly fine. It has enough voltage and correct impedance to easily drive a power amp and the DAC section is very good.

As nvp as said in another tread, with correct source and a transparent power amplifier sometimes preampless way is somewhat better if the preamp is not really über top (à la nvp 3800 :D).
Now, I really don't know exactly how one quantifies/measures this power amp "transparency", but if it's a mix of THD, Damping and SNR, then my old P-700 should do the trick and I can skip a preamp, even if a 2420 or 2820 would be A) Beautiful B) much better for volume control friendliness.

Then again, I think that the changes that the DG-58 can apply on the audio signal (and make it better) are at least an order of magnitude more noticeable to human ears than the presence or not of a preamplifier or the differences between two very good DACS or the difference between two good power amps at the same level. Just my humble opinion.

meltemi 03-18-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattia (Post 684329)
I am now using the DG-58 directly connected to the power amplifier via XLR.

Aside from the fact that if you want to change level on the DG-58 you have to navigate in the menu (also possible to do by remote if you have 20/20 eyesight :D ), is working perfectly fine. It has enough voltage and correct impedance to easily drive a power amp and the DAC section is very good

The DG-58 DAC section is practically the same as the DP-720.

Quote:

As nvp as said in another tread, with correct source and a transparent power amplifier sometimes preampless way is somewhat better if the preamp is not really über top (à la nvp 3800 :D).
Now, I really don't know exactly how one quantifies/measures this power amp "transparency", but if it's a mix of THD, Damping and SNR, then my old P-700 should do the trick and I can skip a preamp, even if a 2420 or 2820 would be A) Beautiful B) much better for volume control friendliness.

It's digital volume control (DG-58) vs. analog volume control (preamps with AAVA).

IMO transparency can only be 'measured' by ear, though SNR, THD, damping factor, slew rate (response to an impulse) etc. do play their role, there is no guarantee that good technical data automatically mean good sound.

The sonic footprint of a decent power amp is usually less prominent than that of other components like SACD/CD drive, DAC or especially preamp.

Quote:

Then again, I think that the changes that the DG-58 can apply on the audio signal (and make it better) are at least an order of magnitude more noticeable to human ears than the presence or not of a preamplifier or the differences between two very good DACS or the difference between two good power amps at the same level. Just my humble opinion.

Fully agreed :thumbsup: especially since you use DG-58 and passive elements together.

Martin

Mattia 03-18-2015 03:38 PM

Martin

Quote:

The DG-58 DAC section is practically the same as the DP-720.
Yes, and also as the DC-37.
In 720 and and DC-37 I think the power supply is a bit more refined, but the "style" with one ESS9018 per channel is the same.
Then again the 901 is even more refined as PSU and has 2 ESS 9018 per channel, another notch above.

I think without a direct switching comparison, one has really to have a *very* good pairs of ears and a wonderful audio memory to be able to spot the differences.

But if all these small improvements are put together (power amp, pre, DAC, player, etc), then systems like your Reference start to sound sensibly different (and better) I think.

Quote:

It's digital volume control (DG-58) vs. analog volume control (preamps with AAVA).
Yes, that is the question. Now I'm debating with myself if the inevitable *little* coloration/noise that I'd have with a good pre in the chain would be compensated by the benefit of having a good and user friendly AAVA volume. A try with a 2420 or a 2820 is almost inevitable at this point :)

Quote:

Fully agreed especially since you use DG-58 and passive elements together.
Agreed: the less problematic is the room, the better the DG-58 works. In very bad rooms, I think that the Accuphase way is "not modify too much the audio signal anyway".

In that respect, I think Dirac does a little better job in improving really difficult situations.

But I think that had to be expected. When the DG-58 was created (like the ones before) the Accuphase engineers probably had a target in mind: people with good rooms and good systems, that really wanted the extra mile from the equipment.

spurv 05-02-2015 04:32 PM

On monday my E-470 will arive. The wait has given me time to read about DC-37, and i have to say that i realy want that DAC. Its up against the Luxman DA-06, but what i can read out of reviews and spesifications (and review of the DP720, same DAC parts!?) i want the DC-37 more :D.

Its expencive, so i need at least a year before i can realize this dream.