AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Classical Music Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Rank your favorite composers ... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49404)

SAM992 01-17-2021 09:31 PM

Rank your favorite composers ...

No specific number in mind, just list the names of your favorite composers in order of most favorite... This isn't easy and my list adjusts from time to time, but this has been where it's settled for the past year or so..

There are surely 100's of them, but narrow it down to top 10 +/- or so.. Clearly I favor the Baroque period, but any period from Mid-evil to modern is game.

Mine:

-Vivaldi
-Beethoven
-Bach
-Handel
-Purcell
-Albinoni
-Hyden
-R. Strauss
-Copeland
-Mozart
-Mendelsohn
-Holst
-Gluck
-Verdi
-Chopin
-Greig

Audioraven 01-17-2021 10:01 PM

My top 3 would be BACH, MOZART and BEETHOVEN.

PHC1 01-17-2021 10:26 PM

Oh wow, that's a tough question. :scratch2:

Not sure I can rank them as there are way too many composers spanning seven centuries with such a diverse amount of music.

Besides the universally popular composers, some of which are on your list, I like the German and Italian composers but I will add the missing Russian composers which I also enjoy... :music:

There are not many from the Renaissance, Baroque and Classical Period but starting from the Romantic period, Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, Borodin, Glazunov.

From the modern era, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky and I am sure I am missing a few...

So many composers, so much music... One can get lost in it and spend a lifetime getting to know it... :yes:

GSOphile 01-17-2021 10:36 PM

My top three:
Beethoven
Handel
Tchaikovsky

SAM992 01-17-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1029612)
Oh wow, that's a tough question. :scratch2:

Not sure I can rank them as there are way too many composers spanning seven centuries with such a diverse amount of music.

Besides the universally popular composers, some of which are on your list, I like the German and Italian composers but I will add the missing Russian composers which I also enjoy... :music:

There are not many from the Renaissance, Baroque and Classical Period but starting from the Romantic period, Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, Borodin, Glazunov.

From the modern era, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky and I am sure I am missing a few...

So many composers, so much music... One can get lost in it and spend a lifetime getting to know it... :yes:

yeah, it's hard to rank honestly... but it's clear I'm more a Baroque listener for example and you're a Romantic / modern listener..

But I do like just about all of it ...

PHC1 01-17-2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAM992 (Post 1029617)
yeah, it's hard to rank honestly... but it's clear I'm more a Baroque listener for example and you're a Romantic / modern listener..

But I do like just about all of it ...

Oh, I listen to Baroque. I find the Baroque period instruments very engaging. A period correct instrument recording is always a treat. What I meant above is that there are many more Russian Romantic and Modern period composers than there were of the Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque period. I'm not 100% on that but I think Baroque and earlier periods were dominated by the Italian composers?

Antonmb 01-18-2021 01:17 AM

Rank your favorite composers ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1029619)
I'm not 100% on that but I think Baroque and earlier periods were dominated by the Italian composers?

I think Renaissance and early Baroque is dominated by the Italians, but mid-late Baroque probably leans more towards the Germans.

Antonmb 01-18-2021 01:35 AM

This is like picking your favorite child. I can definitively say that, if I were banished to a desert island with a music player and could only have two composers, it would be Beethoven and Bach. Beyond that, I don’t think I can rank in any order, but certainly Mozart, Chopin, Haydn, Handel, Schubert, Copeland, Corelli, Sibelius, Dvorak, Debussy, R. Strauss, Ravel, Field, Smetana, Mahler, JC Bach, and John Adams, would be in the upper ranks.

PHC1 01-18-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1029632)
This is like picking your favorite child. I can definitively say that, if I were banished to a desert island with a music player and could only have two composers, it would be Beethoven and Bach. Beyond that, I don’t think I can rank in any order, but certainly Mozart, Chopin, Haydn, Handel, Schubert, Copeland, Corelli, Sibelius, Dvorak, Debussy, R. Strauss, Ravel, Field, Smetana, Mahler, JC Bach, and John Adams, would be in the upper ranks.

Tony, great list of composers for the deserted island. Here is the tough question, which MUSIC PLAYER? :D

crwilli 01-18-2021 01:38 PM

Lennon & McCartney
Carole King

Oh, probably not what the OP had in mind. ;)