AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   ESLs are really special.... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15752)

Jerome W 08-28-2012 05:08 PM

ESLs are really special....

Hello folks,

Tonight I decided to plug again my full range FINAL SOUND 1.4 Mk2 panels because I got calls from people interested in buying them so I had to check them up. Connected them to the Manley Snappers.
First minutes were very disappointing. Amps were cold / panels were cold too and I had to find a better place for them in my room. They sounded dark and restrained.
But after tweaking a bit the placement and having the amps warm after 45 minutes, the sound just left me speechless.
A total different experience from my dynamic speakers so I had to format my ears to the new sound. ( I did not listen to them for about 3 years ).
And they do sound GLORIOUS.
What a presence ! A bass as strong and deep as many very big dynamic speakers, but most of all, a very CLEAN bass and transparency, finesse and SPEED SPEED SPEED ! And this unique sensation of space, and so many things I cannot even find the words....
I'm really no more sure to sell them. I do not prefer them over the Wilsons WP8s. They are so different than comparing them makes no sense. But I think that I love them as much as my Wilsons.
They were made in 2003 so I may have some trouble with the stators ( especially since Final Sound does no more exist ) in the coming years but honestly I do not want to think about it.

Long life to ESLs and tube amps !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

joeinid 08-28-2012 05:37 PM

Great story Jerome,

I know how you feel.

bzr 08-28-2012 06:29 PM

Jérôme, I'm hearing you loud & clear, I think you should get some 20.7's just to be sure :D

Still-One 08-28-2012 08:15 PM

Jérôme

I think you found that different is just a good as better sometimes. Enjoy them while you can.

Jim

mgard 08-28-2012 10:01 PM

Jerome,

That was neat reading about your older speakers and compairing two totally different designs. It was interesting that those older speaker still have a lot of music ability left in them. Verity is the spice of life.

~Mike

vintage_tube 08-28-2012 10:08 PM

Can't speak for FS ESL's -- but, a friend had Quad 2905's with tube amps and talk about sweet mids---bass was lacking a bit, naturally--but the midrange was melting & memorizing.:drool:

Bob

bzr 08-29-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 355865)
Jérôme

I think you found that different is just a good as better sometimes. Enjoy them while you can.

Jim

That was my initial thought too. Eventually the same thing as before will creep in & then the Wilsons get hooked back up & bam......:music::thumbsup:

bart 08-29-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzr (Post 355813)
Jérôme, I'm hearing you loud & clear, I think you should get some 20.7's just to be sure :D

:laughin:

Good one Kev!

Jerome W 08-29-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzr

:lmao:

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Jerome W 08-29-2012 02:40 AM

I will sell them if one of the buyers takes the decision because I put an ad so removing them now would not be fair.

Not sure about the attraction to difference which would make most of the enjoyment I had yesterday. I often hear various systems in shows and at dealers which leave me cold. I did not feel this emotion with Soundlab for example.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado