AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Reference 6 break-in (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36786)

RLF 08-16-2016 08:24 PM

Reference 6 break-in

Although my new Ref 6 sounded great right out of the box, I found it to be a little bright and edgy on some of my recordings that didn't sound that way when I had my Ref 5SE in my system. I did have my dealer's Ref 6 on home audition for a week and didn't remember it sounding bright or edgy. Therefore I've started running my new Ref 6 for about 12 hours a day to accumulate more hours on it. I'm now at 137 hours and find it much more relaxed sounding and more like I remember my dealer's Ref 6 sounding which had about 250 hours accumulated on it when I auditioned it. Of course ARC recommends 600 hours for full break-in, but I am curious what other Ref 6 owners have experienced with break-in. Thanks.

2fastdriving 08-17-2016 12:24 AM

I have about 120 hours on mine, and I didn't run it to burn it in, just enjoyed the ride. When I first hooked it up, it sounded amazing. There was one day where it legitimately sounded "broken"...everything sounded off to me. Then the next time I fired it up it sounded great again, and it continues to sound better and better. I have also noticed it to be a bit edgy at times, but I think it's the material, because I could play another selection and it sounds fine. But my experience with tubes in general is that they do sound a bit edgy out of the box and relax over time.

I'm enjoying the ride, man...this is one of the best pre's I've ever heard. I appreciate it more and more every day.

.,.. 08-17-2016 01:33 AM

Hi there I too am having this edgy issues with my ref 6 and am now only at 23 hours. It didn't sound like this with my ref5se when I got it new. The 1st time I hooked up ref 6 it sounded totally fine but after 6 hours in things sounded edgy and slightly compressed. For a moment I thought my tweeters was distorting. I swear I heard some crackling sound but it turned out to be some part of recording that I never heard before it seems to be an error from the recording itself. Now it is going through another phase where I feel that the sound is getting compressed and at times being pushed to its limit. My dealer said it is the caps that's running in and it will tend to sound less forceful and relaxed after 50 hours. One thing for sure the bass output is much more and the volume has significantly dropped from 50 in my ref5se to 30 in average from my ref 6.

paul1 08-17-2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 798404)
I have about 120 hours on mine, and I didn't run it to burn it in, just enjoyed the ride. When I first hooked it up, it sounded amazing. There was one day where it legitimately sounded "broken"...everything sounded off to me. Then the next time I fired it up it sounded great again, and it continues to sound better and better. I have also noticed it to be a bit edgy at times, but I think it's the material, because I could play another selection and it sounds fine. But my experience with tubes in general is that they do sound a bit edgy out of the box and relax over time. I'm enjoying the ride, man...this is one of the best pre's I've ever heard. I appreciate it more and more every day.

Funny I had that experience with pass labs xp 10 sorry hop I am not bombing your thread

Masterlu 08-17-2016 08:22 AM

tjbhuler... Welcome to AA! :wave:

.,.. 08-17-2016 09:28 AM

Thks :tiphat:..been browsing through this forum for a long time and this thread clicked to what I have been experiencing lately. So decided to chime in and voice out my on going affair with the ref 6 :D.

jdandy 08-17-2016 10:49 AM

tjbhuler.......Good to see you step from the shadows. ;)

Audio 1 08-17-2016 11:26 AM

My Ref.6 has about 600 hours on it now and I promise that it only gets better. It will reach a point when it is hard to get up from your listening chair! Trust me that once broken in any brightness will subside and only a cohesive and musical experience will greet you with every subsequent session :yes:
Getting enough hours on my Ref. 3 phono stage is a different story.

RLF 08-17-2016 08:42 PM

Thanks to the other Ref 6 owners who replied here. It appears that my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. Now at 147 hours, my Ref 6 is sounding fabulous with no more brightness and a big step up from my 5SE.

guitardave 08-17-2016 09:07 PM

My ref6 has sounded great from hour 1. Of course it is getting better with use, now about 300 hrs.
I had the 2 mk2, the 3, 5, and 5se previously. Each was a clear improvement over the previous model, to varying degrees. I think one reason people feel the models are unpredictable during break-in is because they reveal flaws you never noticed on less revealing gear. Every song reveals its recording venue with the 6. If a recording is compressed, or edgy, or rolled off, it is revealed in stark clarity.
I am not saying these pieces are not a bit edgy when new. I do notice that, but only very slightly and not after about 50 hrs in my case(s).

elem79 08-19-2016 09:56 AM

Everything echoed by REF 6 owners sounds accurate indeed. I've got 550 on mine now and will say that it sounds smooth and intoxicating and only getting better. I'm at the point where I just can't get out of the chair anymore. Enjoy the ride you will be rewarded with some time on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

RLF 08-19-2016 06:25 PM

Thanks for the additional comments regarding this terrific preamp and it's break-in. Yeah, it's intoxicating:music:

Ricjor1 08-21-2016 08:14 PM

What is the sonic signature of the Reference 6? I'm thinking about replacing my Jeff Rowland Corus preamp and looking for options to listen to.

2fastdriving 08-21-2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 799360)
What is the sonic signature of the Reference 6? I'm thinking about replacing my Jeff Rowland Corus preamp and looking for options to listen to.

How could we describe it? I guess a few here have found the word: intoxicating!

RLF 08-21-2016 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 799360)

You really have to try one to identify its sonic signature in context of your system. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 799369)
How could we describe it? I guess a few here have found the word: intoxicating!

Right on:D

Ricjor1 08-26-2016 09:26 PM

Well the dealer only offered me 4K for my Corus. That's beyond funny. That's my sign to just be happy with the great sound that I have. The Corus is in like new condition.

2fastdriving 08-26-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 800097)
Well the dealer only offered me 4K for my Corus. That's beyond funny. That's my sign to just be happy with the great sound that I have. The Corus is in like new condition.

Dealers always low ball. Put feelers out and see what happens.

raidho 08-27-2016 04:18 AM

Hi,

sorry Ricjor1 what are the others "gears" from your system?

the JR Corus is a amazing pre and if you have too power ampli JR stay with the Curos.

ARC Ref6 is a good pre with the ARC ampli -> combo Ref6 & Ref75, Ref6 & mono 250,... but not outside your "ARC world".

A great tube pre is Convergent and Octave-> the ARC dont can play at the same level.no way.

of course my taste....

Ricjor1 08-27-2016 08:47 AM

Raidho,
My system; JR Corus, JR 625 S2 amp, JR Aeris DAC, Bryston BDP2, and Monitor Audio PL500 speakers. I was curious about the Reference 6. I wanted to hear something different.

2fastdriving 08-27-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidho (Post 800129)
Hi,

sorry Ricjor1 what are the others "gears" from your system?

the JR Corus is a amazing pre and if you have too power ampli JR stay with the Curos.

ARC Ref6 is a good pre with the ARC ampli -> combo Ref6 & Ref75, Ref6 & mono 250,... but not outside your "ARC world".

A great tube pre is Convergent and Octave-> the ARC dont can play at the same level.no way.

of course my taste....

Totally disagree. Arc pre's work well with many brands of amplifiers. I even see high end systems at shows set up that way, like vandersteen.

jsli 08-27-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

+1 :thumbsup:

PlanarSpeakerFan 08-27-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 800168)
Totally disagree. Arc pre's work well with many brands of amplifiers. I even see high end systems at shows set up that way, like vandersteen.

Hi Marc,

You are totally correct. In fact, Richard Vandersteen primarily uses ARC linestage preamps (REF6 & REF10) and phonostage preamps (REF3 & REF10) for his M7-HPA monoblock amps. It is a sublime combination.

Ken

Ricjor1 08-27-2016 08:56 PM

I submit at this level we are talking about different sonic signatures and preferences. My friend has two great systems: 1) Raidho speakers with Adsolare electronics, 2) An all MBL system. Both sound fantastic, but both have different sonic signatures. I'm not looking for a "better" preamp, but a different sonic signature, that may or may not enhance my enjoyment of music. I'm trying very hard to stop saying, product "A" is better than product "B"...at least at this level.

Sharp 1080 08-29-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 800266)
I submit at this level we are talking about different sonic signatures and preferences. My friend has to great systems: 1) Raidho speakers with Adsolare electronics, 2) An all MBL system. Both sound fantastic, but both have different sonic signatures. I'm not looking for a "better" preamp, but a different sonic signature, that may or may not enhance my enjoyment of music. I'm trying very hard to stop saying, product "A" is better than product "B"...at least at this level.

The analogy I have used in the past to descibe this phenomena is the following. It's not necessarily better as you mentioned just "different". The same thing to those who choose an "affair" because they are bored or curious. The other person isn't necessarily better, just "different". I am also going to state for the record, not speaking from experience. :D

Ricjor1 08-29-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 (Post 800655)
The analogy I have used in the past to descibe this phenomena is the following. It's not necessarily better as you mentioned just "different". The same thing to those who choose an "affair" because they are bored or curious. The other person isn't necessarily better, just "different". I am also going to state for the record, not speaking from experience. :D

A little funny, but I agree.

elem79 08-31-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Hi, sorry Ricjor1 what are the others "gears" from your system? the JR Corus is a amazing pre and if you have too power ampli JR stay with the Curos. ARC Ref6 is a good pre with the ARC ampli -> combo Ref6 & Ref75, Ref6 & mono 250,... but not outside your "ARC world". A great tube pre is Convergent and Octave-> the ARC dont can play at the same level.no way. of course my taste....

ARC preamps have a reputation for being flexible with a wide range of power amplifiers, solid state and tubed. I've used many different preamps and can say that ARC pre's were excellent mates to many power amplifiers I've owned. Of course synergy is key and it's always to be expected two like branded components will play best with each other.

Ritmo 08-31-2016 08:08 PM

I used my ARC 5SE with the Hegel H-30, Classe 600M and D'Agostino. Very good match with these as well as the ARC amps.

MPS 09-01-2016 03:00 AM

ARC preamps typically prefer high input impedance power amps (like their own ;-))
My experience is that otherwise dynamics and openness of sound are compromised.
They are also capable of high output levels so low amplification factor amps are most suitable.

JPrest 09-01-2016 04:39 AM

I am the new owner of a Ref 5SE and am simply blown away by the spacial separation and inner detail improvement over my Ref1. Not sure I'll ever move to a Ref6 but can only imagine your trill of owning and enjoying the very best.

jpspock 09-01-2016 04:59 PM

If you want a big improvement of your ref5, change your for a sr black. You will be surprised.

ariess 09-02-2016 08:53 AM

Oh no an ARC troll!
I couldn't disagree more. ARC is making some of their best ever units now.
Ref 75, GS150, Ref 6 and 10 are all classics. And the SE upgrades of their amps to use KT150 are fantastic. They are winning "component of the year" in various places (e.g., Tone Audio 2015) and top scores in Hi Fi News, A's in Stereophile, etc
IMHO ARC is at the top of their game.

2fastdriving 09-02-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariess (Post 801326)

Oh no an ARC troll!
I couldn't disagree more. ARC is making some of their best ever units now.
Ref 75, GS150, Ref 6 and 10 are all classics. And the SE upgrades of their amps to use KT150 are fantastic. They are winning "component of the year" in various places (e.g., Tone Audio 2015) and top scores in Hi Fi News, A's in Stereophile, etc
IMHO ARC is at the top of their game.

+1... Arc is doing it right. Haters can hate.

kngale1 09-02-2016 03:32 PM

I was never a fan of ARC until latest offerings. I always find it too analytical for my taste. One man's trash is another man's treasure!

RLF 09-02-2016 05:20 PM

I started this thread to see how other Ref 6 owners experienced break-in changes rather than bash or trash ARC. There are plenty of other places to do that. If comments could be brought back to the original topic it would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Masterlu 09-02-2016 05:36 PM

Let's clean this thread up a bit, shall we. On AA we don't hijack threads, nor bash other brands; nuff said?

michael paul 12-12-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLF (Post 801418)
I started this thread to see how other Ref 6 owners experienced break-in changes rather than bash or trash ARC. There are plenty of other places to do that. If comments could be brought back to the original topic it would be most appreciated. Thanks.

hello..i just fired up a new ref6. i am disappointed.

it did not " sound great out of the box".

exactly what transpires during break-in? i hope it turns into a completely different preamp.

i just do not see see this changing so much. i feel that "it is what it is" generally speaking.

i not much of a believer of a massive change in new audio equipment.

this thing needs a new personality imho.

not thrilled at all.

hope i am wrong.

mike

Mikado463 12-12-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael paul (Post 885252)
hello..i just fired up a new ref6. i am disappointed.

it did not " sound great out of the box".

exactly what transpires during break-in? i hope it turns into a completely different preamp.

i just do not see see this changing so much. i feel that "it is what it is" generally speaking.

i not much of a believer of a massive change in new audio equipment.

this thing needs a new personality imho.

not thrilled at all.

hope i am wrong.

mike

what's your return policy ?

The Trace 12-12-2017 11:38 AM

Experience

Yes, bright when new. Replaced power cord and went to BLACK fuses. Only got and getting better.

michael paul 12-12-2017 01:18 PM

Granted it has less than 10 hours on it. I called audio research...they assured me it needs time..would they tell me otherwise?.we will see...return policy?..is that a joke??..fingers crossed that it will transform....mike

PHC1 12-12-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael paul (Post 885276)
Granted it has less than 10 hours on it. I called audio research...they assured me it needs time..would they tell me otherwise?.we will see...return policy?..is that a joke??..fingers crossed that it will transform....mike

It does need quite a bit of break in time. :sigh: Out of the box my ex ARC REF250 monos and Ref 40th anniv. preamp sounded very sterile and lean. Over the course of a few weeks the soundstage started to open up and the system started gaining in weight, body and proper scale. Of course system synergy also comes into play. What is the rest of your system like?