AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Reference 6 break-in (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36786)

jsli 08-27-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidho (Post 800129)
A great tube pre is Convergent and Octave-> the ARC dont can play at the same level.no way.

+1 :thumbsup:

PlanarSpeakerFan 08-27-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 800168)
Totally disagree. Arc pre's work well with many brands of amplifiers. I even see high end systems at shows set up that way, like vandersteen.

Hi Marc,

You are totally correct. In fact, Richard Vandersteen primarily uses ARC linestage preamps (REF6 & REF10) and phonostage preamps (REF3 & REF10) for his M7-HPA monoblock amps. It is a sublime combination.

Ken

Ricjor1 08-27-2016 08:56 PM

I submit at this level we are talking about different sonic signatures and preferences. My friend has two great systems: 1) Raidho speakers with Adsolare electronics, 2) An all MBL system. Both sound fantastic, but both have different sonic signatures. I'm not looking for a "better" preamp, but a different sonic signature, that may or may not enhance my enjoyment of music. I'm trying very hard to stop saying, product "A" is better than product "B"...at least at this level.

Sharp 1080 08-29-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 800266)
I submit at this level we are talking about different sonic signatures and preferences. My friend has to great systems: 1) Raidho speakers with Adsolare electronics, 2) An all MBL system. Both sound fantastic, but both have different sonic signatures. I'm not looking for a "better" preamp, but a different sonic signature, that may or may not enhance my enjoyment of music. I'm trying very hard to stop saying, product "A" is better than product "B"...at least at this level.

The analogy I have used in the past to descibe this phenomena is the following. It's not necessarily better as you mentioned just "different". The same thing to those who choose an "affair" because they are bored or curious. The other person isn't necessarily better, just "different". I am also going to state for the record, not speaking from experience. :D

Ricjor1 08-29-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 (Post 800655)
The analogy I have used in the past to descibe this phenomena is the following. It's not necessarily better as you mentioned just "different". The same thing to those who choose an "affair" because they are bored or curious. The other person isn't necessarily better, just "different". I am also going to state for the record, not speaking from experience. :D

A little funny, but I agree.

elem79 08-31-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidho (Post 800129)
Hi, sorry Ricjor1 what are the others "gears" from your system? the JR Corus is a amazing pre and if you have too power ampli JR stay with the Curos. ARC Ref6 is a good pre with the ARC ampli -> combo Ref6 & Ref75, Ref6 & mono 250,... but not outside your "ARC world". A great tube pre is Convergent and Octave-> the ARC dont can play at the same level.no way. of course my taste....

ARC preamps have a reputation for being flexible with a wide range of power amplifiers, solid state and tubed. I've used many different preamps and can say that ARC pre's were excellent mates to many power amplifiers I've owned. Of course synergy is key and it's always to be expected two like branded components will play best with each other.

Ritmo 08-31-2016 08:08 PM

I used my ARC 5SE with the Hegel H-30, Classe 600M and D'Agostino. Very good match with these as well as the ARC amps.

MPS 09-01-2016 03:00 AM

ARC preamps typically prefer high input impedance power amps (like their own ;-))
My experience is that otherwise dynamics and openness of sound are compromised.
They are also capable of high output levels so low amplification factor amps are most suitable.

JPrest 09-01-2016 04:39 AM

I am the new owner of a Ref 5SE and am simply blown away by the spacial separation and inner detail improvement over my Ref1. Not sure I'll ever move to a Ref6 but can only imagine your trill of owning and enjoying the very best.

jpspock 09-01-2016 04:59 PM

If you want a big improvement of your ref5, change your for a sr black. You will be surprised.