AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   SilenZio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   chessman's Silenzio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30098)

chessman 02-03-2015 12:11 AM

chessman's Silenzio

I am jumping into computer sourced audio under the tutelage of our own Emile (Audio by E). I am a total newb, so if I can get it working, anyone can.

First, the plan: Silenzio media server, 4 bay Network Attached Storage (NAS) (Raid 10), USB cable connection to Estoteric K-01.

Second, the setup: Silenzio on rack, NAS in other room to eliminate hard drive noise, Cat 6 ethernet cable connecting Silenzio to router, Cat 6 ethernet cable connecting NAS to router, WireWorld Platinum Starlight USB connecting Silenzio to K-01, 21" flat screen monitor, wireless keyboard, Shunyata MPC-12 power distributor.

Third, the Sonos side deal: Sonos Connect in two channel rack, Play 3 in family room (which will see the NAS and therefore be able to stream everything upstairs for casual listening, i.e. screened in porch). Also have a W4S Remedy in the chain in two channel rack. Obviously, the Sonos is not needed for the Silenzio as source - it is just there to give me internet radio, my iPhone and Deezer as additional choices for music above and beyond what is on the NAS.

Fourth, the alphabet voodoo of "ripping:" I am using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip my CDs. I will put them in FLAC format so that I can add tags. I will play them back using JRiver. There are a host of other choices. These are mine. :) I will be using the "accurate" EAC method. I know it's slower and I know I can "probably" get away with the "speedy" method, but this is an all out attempt at computer high fidelity, so I am not going to cut corners.

Fifth, the DAC: a computer as a source requires a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). My K-01 sports 8 DAC chips and has USB input in the all-important asynchronous clock format, so it will be my "DAC." You need an asynchronous clock so that one clock controls all the devices instead of hoping different clocks n different devices are in sync. I went with a high end USB cable to minimize any jitter that might be cable induced.

Sixth, the power distribution: I went with the Shunyata MPC-12 because I want to isolate any computer induced power problems. Computers are notoriously electrically "noisy." I will probably add some Shunyata power cords later to the Silenzio and the K-01.

Now I just have to learn how to drive this sucker. ;)

chessman 02-03-2015 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Isn't it purdy? ;)

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...2268228274.jpg

crwilli 02-03-2015 09:36 PM

:popcorn:

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Albikes 02-03-2015 10:25 PM

Nice setup!! Will your PS3 rip SACDs?

chessman 02-03-2015 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albikes (Post 672311)
Nice setup!! Will your PS3 rip SACDs?

Sadly, I am on my 4th PS3 (yellow light of death). The early version you need is long gone. :tears:

Albikes 02-03-2015 10:37 PM

Mine is still good! But if you need any help with a project, just let me know ��

-E- 02-04-2015 12:21 AM

Randy is officially live.

It does not suck.

:D

chessman 02-04-2015 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -E- (Post 672344)
Randy is officially live. It does not suck. :D

E, I may need a note from you. I know several people who would swear I am dead. :D

chessman 02-04-2015 12:41 AM

I would like to give a shout out to hkval and crwilli for helping with the USB driver issue. Esoteric amended a web page and inadvertently deleted all the driver downloads. This is such a great community! :thumbsup:

chessman 02-04-2015 01:13 AM

I may start referring to my Silenzio as Michaelangelo because ripping at archive levels is the agony and the ecstasy. :D