AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Furutech Duplex Outlets (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36877)

PlanarSpeakerFan 08-26-2016 08:56 AM

Furutech Duplex Outlets

Could anyone describe the difference in sound quality between the gold plated and rhodium plated Furutech duplex outlets.

Thanks,
Ken

rnrmf1971 08-26-2016 11:33 AM

I had both gold and rhodium non-NCF duplex versions and the main difference, in my system, was that the rhodium plated was brighter and the gold was warmer.

The gold stayed and I recently sold the rhodium.

One could argue that the rhodium brings out more details, but I think it's more about how a different tone and cooler sound makes certain sounds more evident.

The gold was rounder and more musically correct, in my opinion.

But if you crave detail, the rhodium would be the choice.

It actually drives me crazy that a duplex can change the sound so much, especially on my front end components, where it fed a PS Audio P10, at the time. I would not have believed it unless I had tried it, myself.

I would love to hear an NCF gold version of the duplex although it hasn't been released, yet. I don't know if it will. Maybe gold didn't sell well because it wasn't the "best."

But the NCF technology might be an improvement to the gold duplex. My comparison of the Furutech Nanoflux power cables in the NCF and non-NCF versions showed me that the NCF version was a little brighter with better focus and definition, especially in the high frequencies, but not to a point that i would say it was bright sounding.
I use the NCF version on my pre-amp and the non-NCF versions on sources and amps. If my speakers were more generous in the low end, I would consider adding the NCF version to my amps. I'm a bit hesitant to do so until I upgrade my speakers.

PlanarSpeakerFan 08-27-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 800026)
I had both gold and rhodium non-NCF duplex versions and the main difference, in my system, was that the rhodium plated was brighter and the gold was warmer.

The gold stayed and I recently sold the rhodium.

One could argue that the rhodium brings out more details, but I think it's more about how a different tone and cooler sound makes certain sounds more evident.

The gold was rounder and more musically correct, in my opinion.

But if you crave detail, the rhodium would be the choice.

It actually drives me crazy that a duplex can change the sound so much, especially on my front end components, where it fed a PS Audio P10, at the time. I would not have believed it unless I had tried it, myself.

I would love to hear an NCF gold version of the duplex although it hasn't been released, yet. I don't know if it will. Maybe gold didn't sell well because it wasn't the "best."

But the NCF technology might be an improvement to the gold duplex. My comparison of the Furutech Nanoflux power cables in the NCF and non-NCF versions showed me that the NCF version was a little brighter with better focus and definition, especially in the high frequencies, but not to a point that i would say it was bright sounding.
I use the NCF version on my pre-amp and the non-NCF versions on sources and amps. If my speakers were more generous in the low end, I would consider adding the NCF version to my amps. I'm a bit hesitant to do so until I upgrade my speakers.

Thank you for your in-depth response. It was extremely informative and helpful.

Best,
Ken

ariess 08-27-2016 10:08 AM

I went through same consideration and chose gold.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Masterlu 08-27-2016 10:17 AM

Rhodium here...

http://media.gettyimages.com/videos/...9-58?s=640x640

Picto 08-27-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 800158)
Rhodium here...

And what about Gold? :scratch2:

Bertrand

Masterlu 08-27-2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Picto (Post 800161)
And what about Gold? :scratch2:

Bertrand

I preferred the Rhodium over the Gold.

salamander 08-27-2016 12:58 PM

I also tried both and agree with the sound quality differences articulated above. In my case, I preferred the rhodium receptacle sound. I also used the recommended Furutech cover plate and wall plate along with the receptacle. According to the manufacturer, they provides additional shielding from radio frequency interference.

rnrmf1971 08-27-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 800144)
Thank you for your in-depth response. It was extremely informative and helpful.

Best,
Ken

I left out a detail that steered me to the gold; In my system, I thought the rhodium accentuated sibilance, which I have little tolerance for. I had other issues going on in my system that made that possible, though. It definitely wasn't all from the rhodium duplex, by any means. That's not Furutech's style.
In a full range, balanced sounding system, the rhodium could be a boon.

Nevertheless, in my current, much better balanced, system, I don't find myself wanting with the gold duplexes.

GWNG8 11-10-2017 02:14 PM

How does the NCF effect the sound?