AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Looking At Turntable Upgrade (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42852)

Jack in Wilmington 05-01-2018 12:17 PM

Looking At Turntable Upgrade

After my recent improvements to the digital side of my system, I think the analog side is getting jealous. I'm looking to upgrade my turntable and with it the cartridge. I'm currently using a Music Hall MMF 5.1 with a Goldring 1012 GX cartridge. This has been my turntable for 8 years and I'm looking for more out of my vinyl now. The contenders are (but not limited to) as follows.

Music Hall MMF 9.3 with Goldring Eroica LX MC cartridge

Pro-Ject Perspex with Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III

Clearaudio Concept with Concept MC cartridge

VPI Prime Scout with Ortofon Quintet Red or 2M Bronze cartridge

Budget is $2500 and other cartridges are an option. Thanks

greekgod 05-01-2018 12:41 PM

Well, you know what we say about audiophile budgets around here... decide on a realistic budget and then triple it because that is what it will really end up costing you. Now that we are working with $7500, let's look at some options...lol...just kidding.

Of those, I would go with either the Clearaudio Concept or the VPI Prime Scout. However, I strongly suggest increasing your budget slightly and getting the VPI Prime. If you get the Prime Scout, you may just find yourself wanting to upgrade the the Prime. IMO, the VPI Prime is the best high end value turntable there is.

Catcher10 05-01-2018 02:28 PM

Based on design I would look at the mmf-9.3 and money value. Buy it without the cartridge and put a Lyra or Kiseki on it. I doubt you will look back...
Your next step will be to upgrade the phono stage.

Have fun!

Jack in Wilmington 05-01-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catcher10 (Post 913424)
Based on design I would look at the mmf-9.3 and money value. Buy it without the cartridge and put a Lyra or Kiseki on it. I doubt you will look back...
Your next step will be to upgrade the phono stage.

Have fun!

When I started looking at an upgrade, I was wondering if my phono pre could handle a LOMC cartridge, so that is something on my mind. Thanks

Mikado463 05-01-2018 05:14 PM

Jack, if I were in your shoes I'd get a Technics SL-1200G along with a Hana cartridge and call it a day ......................

Jack in Wilmington 05-01-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 913446)
Jack, if I were in your shoes I'd get a Technics SL-1200G along with a Hana cartridge and call it a day ......................

They seem to be running around $4000 so that's out of my budget. I'm trying to remember the model of Technics turntable that I had back in the 90's. It was a fully automatic model with a Shure cartridge. From what I've read this is not your father's Technics.

Catcher10 05-01-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington (Post 913436)
When I started looking at an upgrade, I was wondering if my phono pre could handle a LOMC cartridge, so that is something on my mind. Thanks

If you bump to a Lyra/Kiseki or the like......yea you will need an upgrade in the phono stage area, to pull out the best those type of carts can offer.

The 9.3 has very good isolation and decoupling.....and should leave you some cash to put into a higher end cart and possibly a better phono stage.

Have fun!

Jack in Wilmington 05-01-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catcher10 (Post 913457)
If you bump to a Lyra/Kiseki or the like......yea you will need an upgrade in the phono stage area, to pull out the best those type of carts can offer.

The 9.3 has very good isolation and decoupling.....and should leave you some cash to put into a higher end cart and possibly a better phono stage.

Have fun!

Both the Lyra and Kiseki knock my budget for a loop, but it can be something to save for down the line.

W9TR 05-01-2018 08:11 PM

Your best bet will be to buy something that has been gently used.
Cartridge is most important. Arm is second. Together they will dominate the sound you get.
For example I put a $1200 Dynavector cart on a $600 Rega Planar 3 / RB 300 arm to great effect.
Tom

Formerly YB-2 05-02-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 913468)
Your best bet will be to buy something that has been gently used.
Tom

What Tom said. If were me, would look for a VIP Scoutmaster with the Sig arm.

Also, check with SoundStage in Doylestown. They have a trade-in program that might work.