AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Isolation Placement (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42140)

For The Love of Music 02-09-2018 01:04 AM

Isolation Placement

3 Attachment(s)
Isolation really enhances the sound!

I am not sure what is the right or wrong method on placement as I have seen everything under the sun when it comes to this, in the case of Stillpoints; top-hat up, top-hat bottom, adapter screws screwed in under OEM foot and now throw in what I am about to say.

My thoughts are to place these wonders in a tripod fashion under the immediate area of the power supplies transformers and capacitors.

By channeling the sound out from where it is emitting potential interference would have the greatest affect. Like water or electricity, the faster it is directed, the more control you have. Bases under the Stillpoints add more dispersement as energy has a wider displacement.

My heavy amps, regenerators and other pieces weighs down itself equally on the tripods with no problem. When I used 4, it was a fight to get the 4th to seat, and later found it was not supporting the amp, thereby providing no isolation.

I pulled some pictures of D’Agostino amp line off the web to give a visual and YELLOW STARRED where I placed the Stillpoints on my Momentums, and GREEN CIRCLES represents where the OEM feet are.

Note: I think isolation is better then no isolation, and other brands will add an affect as long as there is metal to metal contact.

At the end of the day it comes down to preference - it's enough to drive any sane minded person crazy, but not the audiophile :music:

Pipe in your theory or comments against little ‘ole me - happy listening!

Audiophilehi 02-09-2018 10:43 AM

I have found that the best place for any isolation footer is over anything that vibrates the most. That being said I would move one of the Stillpoints directly over the power transformer on the Momentum and then adjust the other 2 Stillpoints for balance.

I like the positioning of the Progression and the Classic.

XCop5089 02-09-2018 12:01 PM

"isolation" is a poor description of what Stillpoints actually do!

Placed under equipment chassis, they "wick" internal vibration away and dissipate this as heat, rather that "isolate" the equipment from external vibration.

Four are generally better than three and should be placed under vibrating components, such as transformers, in addition to placing to securely support the weight of the product.

In the case of the Ultra SS, hat making contact with the underside of the chassis is generally correct and the hat should always be loosened half a turn or so, for the Stillpoint to ave maximum effect. I found exceptions (my TW Acoustics Raven turntable has a trio of Ultra SS screwed into the underside of the chassis, with the hats pointing downwards.

I have Ultra 5's under my speakers and balanced PSU (on a Stillpoints Component Stand) and a quartet of Ultra 6's with Ultra Bases supporting my power amp.

As with the Ultra SS, slacken them off a bit on the screw thread and place under transformers etc, for maximum effect!

Substituting them for manufacturer's own feet or placing them in the same position (apart from speakers) is not necessarily a good idea.

John49 02-10-2018 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCop5089 (Post 898264)
"isolation" is a poor description of what Stillpoints actually do!

Placed under equipment chassis, they "wick" internal vibration away and dissipate this as heat, rather that "isolate" the equipment from external vibration.

Four are generally better than three and should be placed under vibrating components, such as transformers, in addition to placing to securely support the weight of the product.

In the case of the Ultra SS, hat making contact with the underside of the chassis is generally correct and the hat should always be loosened half a turn or so, for the Stillpoint to ave maximum effect. I found exceptions (my TW Acoustics Raven turntable has a trio of Ultra SS screwed into the underside of the chassis, with the hats pointing downwards.

I have Ultra 5's under my speakers and balanced PSU (on a Stillpoints Component Stand) and a quartet of Ultra 6's with Ultra Bases supporting my power amp.

As with the Ultra SS, slacken them off a bit on the screw thread and place under transformers etc, for maximum effect!

Substituting them for manufacturer's own feet or placing them in the same position (apart from speakers) is not necessarily a good idea.

+1

modlin 02-10-2018 10:48 AM

"Like water or electricity, the faster it is directed, the more control you have"

of course...

modlin 02-13-2018 11:21 PM

"they "wick" internal vibration away and dissipate this as heat,"

of course..

JetJock 03-07-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modlin (Post 899335)
"they "wick" internal vibration away and dissipate this as heat,"

of course..

They work regardless of how mysterious it seems.