AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Moving Up To Vivaldi (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43542)

Still-One 08-10-2018 04:22 PM

Moving Up To Vivaldi

I have been working with my dealer to move from my current dCS Rossini and clock to the Vivaldi DAC, clock and Upsampler. It looks like I am ready to pull the trigger now that the MQA update for Vivaldi trio is almost ready. In addition I have found that I have no need for a disc spinner so I can avoid the significant extra cost associated with the Vivaldi transport. After I purchased the Rossini player/DAC I never once inserted disc into the tray.

Another point for consideration I was also reluctant to add another box to my set-up as there is really space in my "cabinet". To make space I had been contemplating dumping my vinyl rig altogether. Trading in the SME would have lessened the impact on my wallet but once I saw the current entry point for a turntable close to the quality of mine it made no sense to trade it in. I will jury rig a platform raising the turntable jus enough to get my phone stage underneath it freeing up a spot for the additional dCS unit in the cabinet.

It will be at least a week before the swap is complete. I will keep you updated.

bart 08-10-2018 04:36 PM

Jim, a huge congrats!
Wow, your system is getting better and better...

Still-One 08-10-2018 04:43 PM

Thanks Bart. I am not sure how much of a bump in SQ I will achieve with the move. My set-up has been sounding so good the last few days as I spent a bit of time playing with the Rossini's filters and DSP in Roon. The best it has ever sounded.

crwilli 08-10-2018 05:10 PM

Congrats Jim! Let us know how the view is in that rarified air! ;)

Antonmb 08-10-2018 05:31 PM

Sounds like a great upgrade, congratulations. As for the turntable, do you have the option to use a wall mount?

edward3132 08-10-2018 05:58 PM

Jim

Congrats as well! I was fortunate to just finish upgrading from Debussy up to Rossini dac plus clock. The sound difference was significant. I can imagine your 3 box Vivaldi.

Like you I thought about getting the dac/player but rarely do I spin any type of disc.

Cannot wait to hear what you think about the sound upgrade.

Ed

Masterlu 08-10-2018 06:02 PM

Jim... Congrats on your new upgrade! :cheers:

Audio 1 08-10-2018 06:15 PM

So awesome Jim!!
Looking forward to the pictures.

Still-One 08-10-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 926500)
Sounds like a great upgrade, congratulations. As for the turntable, do you have the option to use a wall mount?

I could possibly do a wall mount but prefer not to. Once I replenish my audio piggy bank I might consider moving to a "low noise rack" or a more open version of a nice looking wooden unit. I like that my current set-up does hide a lot of the cabling. I use my turntable so seldom that I am not worried about a bit of SQ degradation by creating a base for it.

enatai252 08-10-2018 07:08 PM

Congrats. I think you will really enjoy. Great system. I am also awaiting MQA update....I have been using on the Rossini...and hear I should be able to update Vivaldi stack soon. I also passed on transport as I use Roon most of time and have my vinyl system around when I feel like spinning something