AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Shindo system (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=16039)

Freestone 09-14-2012 03:16 PM

Just an update as I have been encouraged to post by some members who I was in pm contact with:

Under Matt's spell, I mean guidance, I ordered the petite latours to finish my Shindo system. The amps are gm70, pre is massetto, and source is a garrard 301. (update: I replaced the Masseto with a Giscours)

The speakers are a few months to arrive.

I don't have either the golden ear or descriptive skill that most here possess, so I won't be the most help on questions!

The irony is I became interested only after tagging along with a friend, who for a certain reason became less interested.

CFz 09-14-2012 04:38 PM

Wow! Just wow! Sounds like a hell of a system you've got there. Congratulations! We'll count the days before you move up to the big boy Latours ;)

Freestone 09-14-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFz
Wow! Just wow! Sounds like a hell of a system you've got there. Congratulations! We'll count the days before you move up to the big boy Latours ;)

Thank you.

The big latours are what I really wanted and much discussion went into whether I should just get them. While the room size is probably ok acoustically, the WAF is marginal at best now even with the petites - even though it is not the living room! - but that is true for any full range speaker, not unique to these.

jdandy 09-14-2012 04:55 PM

Richard.......The Shindo Latour's will be the icing on the cake. The Latour's are far more beautiful than the old Altec Voice of the Theater speakers I had back in the late 60's, but the two-way design concept is very familiar, 15" short throw woofer with a horn mounted compression driver, and very high efficiency. Your new Shindo Latour speakers should be the last piece in a magical sound system. Congratulations.

http://www.dagogo.com/assets/images/...ertSpkrs-4.jpg

Freestone 09-14-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy
Richard.......The Shindo Latour's will be the icing on the cake. The Latour's are far more beautiful than the old Altec Voice of the Theater speakers I had back in the late 60's, but the two-way design concept is very familiar, 15" short throw woofer with a horn mounted compression driver, and very high efficiency. Your new Shindo Latour speakers should be the last piece in a magical sound system. Congratulations.

Unfortunately they are the petites I ordered while I prefer the looks of the big latours more, not to mention of course the sound.

But as I note just above, it would be surprising if I didn't order those within 4 to 6 months, or sooner as I can slip them by visually.

I figure I can learn more on the petites now so really appreciate the latours later. My room is only small/medium at 14x19 so that's a consideration.

pitch perfect 09-14-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestone (Post 364256)
Just an update as I have been encouraged to post by some members who I was in pm contact with:

Under Matt's spell, I mean guidance,

:bowdown:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestone (Post 364256)
I ordered the petite latours to finish my Shindo system. The amps are gm70, pre is massetto, and source is a garrard 301.

Nice system!
:D

-M

Freestone 09-14-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect

:bowdown:

Nice system!
:D

-M

Well look who is lurking.

Fortunately far enough away that I am out of the spell range.

Matt was kind enough to spend time in my room and we thought hard about which speaker would be best.

He has been a reliable and trusted source of guidance.

jdandy 09-14-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestone (Post 364306)
Unfortunately they are the petites I ordered while I prefer the looks of the big latours more, not to mention of course the sound.

But as I note just above, it would be surprising if I didn't order those within 4 to 6 months, or sooner as I can slip them by visually.

I figure I can learn more on the petites now so really appreciate the latours later. My room is only small/medium at 14x19 so that's a consideration.

Richard.......I apologize. I missed the word petite, although the Petite Latour's also look spectaular. So you've been hanging around in this room, uha? :D

http://pitchperfectaudio.files.wordp...eve-room-2.jpg

Freestone 09-14-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy

Richard.......I apologize. I missed the word petite, although the Petite Latour's also look spectaular. So you've been hanging around in this room, uha? :D

No apology needed.

I certainly read his descriptions and looked at the photos. Like he did, I ordered them unheard. But a friend with trusted ears heard them back east as well, in addition to Matt, so I am certain I will love them.

I second guess my latour decision - petite vs big ones - regularly but I really want to avoid an "absolutely not" WAF reaction... The end point will just take a few months longer perhaps. And I know I like that.

(Updated below - the petites look and sound great! Shouldn't have been a concern...)

shindostevesan 09-14-2012 05:16 PM

Did you order the field coil version of the Petite Latours?

Steve