AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Questions for Caelin and Grant concerning modest system (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46018)

RLF 06-10-2019 04:29 AM

Questions for Caelin and Grant concerning modest system

Hi Caelin and Grant. I have a few questions regarding a small HT setup using a Shunyata conditioner and power cord at a vacation condo. In your opinion, which of your gear would work best with a small AV system as described below as far as your product integration:

The setup consists of a Sony 65” AF9 OLED TV, Martin Logan Vision X sound bar, ML Dynamo subwoofer, OPPO 203 BD player, and cable box. My primary goal is to have a picture from the Sony which yields the deepest blacks, best light to dark gradations in shading, and deepest most natural vibrant colors. Of course there is only so much that one can do with a sound bar, but a dynamic sound with natural tonal quality is important and to help keep the emphasis away from bright gritty thin textures would also be paramount. I know that’s a tall order for modest gear like I’ve listed above.

As far as a little background, in my main AV system in my main home, I am using a Triton 3 power conditioner with a Sigma NR power cord from the wall outlet to the Triton feeding my Sony Z9D 75” LCD TV, Anthem amps and Anthem prepro, OPPO BD player and Apple 4K TV. Both my wife and I are,amazed how much deeper the colors are as well as shadowing from dark to bright, contrast, and saturation with the Triton 3 in the system. Hard to believe that your Shunyata stuff can do so much , but it is our perception that it works magic.

As for the vacation home, right now my dealer has offered me a used Denali 6000 S V1 which I was going to use with a demo Alpha NR power cord. However, I just gleaned information about your new upcoming Denali v2 which I’ve read has good deal better component to component isolation than the v1. Due to the fact that much of the gear in the vacation home has switching power supplies and switching amps, it is my guess that the best component to component isolation would be better for a deeper blacks and saturated picture. Therefore the V2 would seem to technically lower the noise floor a good deal better than the v1 and yield the picture that we would like. BTW, right now our main home high-end LCD appears to have a bit better blacks than the OLED in the vacation home since there is no Shunyata residing in that system. OTOH, the Triton which we use in our main home system really makes possible a stunning picture for a LCD TV. My guess, is by adding an appropriate Shunyata power conditioner and power cord that the vacation Sony A9F OLED would really blossom.

So Caelin and Grant, what do you think would work best in the little vacation home theater system considering a cost affective way of bettering picture and sound without going overboard? Denali v1 vs v2 and Alpha NR or Sigma power cords?

Also as to the cable feeding the Denali v1 or v2 from the wall outlet duplex, do you think that the Alpha PC would be best or would the Sigma PC be overkill? My dealer suggested that that the Sigma might give better isolation from the incoming AC than then Alpha. What are you thoughts on this?

Anyway, I have to make some quick decisions soon with my dealer so if I could get both of your inputs regarding what would work best and at the same time not be overkill would be most appreciated. I’ll look forward your professional opinions. Bob

GrantS 06-10-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLF (Post 968119)
Hi Caelin and Grant. I have a few questions regarding a small HT setup using a Shunyata conditioner and power cord at a vacation condo. In your opinion, which of your gear would work best with a small AV system as described below as far as your product integration:

The setup consists of a Sony 65” AF9 OLED TV, Martin Logan Vision X sound bar, ML Dynamo subwoofer, OPPO 203 BD player, and cable box. My primary goal is to have a picture from the Sony which yields the deepest blacks, best light to dark gradations in shading, and deepest most natural vibrant colors. Of course there is only so much that one can do with a sound bar, but a dynamic sound with natural tonal quality is important and to help keep the emphasis away from bright gritty thin textures would also be paramount. I know that’s a tall order for modest gear like I’ve listed above.

As far as a little background, in my main AV system in my main home, I am using a Triton 3 power conditioner with a Sigma NR power cord from the wall outlet to the Triton feeding my Sony Z9D 75” LCD TV, Anthem amps and Anthem prepro, OPPO BD player and Apple 4K TV. Both my wife and I are,amazed how much deeper the colors are as well as shadowing from dark to bright, contrast, and saturation with the Triton 3 in the system. Hard to believe that your Shunyata stuff can do so much , but it is our perception that it works magic.

As for the vacation home, right now my dealer has offered me a used Denali 6000 S V1 which I was going to use with a demo Alpha NR power cord. However, I just gleaned information about your new upcoming Denali v2 which I’ve read has good deal better component to component isolation than the v1. Due to the fact that much of the gear in the vacation home has switching power supplies and switching amps, it is my guess that the best component to component isolation would be better for a deeper blacks and saturated picture. Therefore the V2 would seem to technically lower the noise floor a good deal better than the v1 and yield the picture that we would like. BTW, right now our main home high-end LCD appears to have a bit better blacks than the OLED in the vacation home since there is no Shunyata residing in that system. OTOH, the Triton which we use in our main home system really makes possible a stunning picture for a LCD TV. My guess, is by adding an appropriate Shunyata power conditioner and power cord that the vacation Sony A9F OLED would really blossom.

So Caelin and Grant, what do you think would work best in the little vacation home theater system considering a cost affective way of bettering picture and sound without going overboard? Denali v1 vs v2 and Alpha NR or Sigma power cords?

Also as to the cable feeding the Denali v1 or v2 from the wall outlet duplex, do you think that the Alpha PC would be best or would the Sigma PC be overkill? My dealer suggested that that the Sigma might give better isolation from the incoming AC than then Alpha. What are you thoughts on this?

Anyway, I have to make some quick decisions soon with my dealer so if I could get both of your inputs regarding what would work best and at the same time not be overkill would be most appreciated. I’ll look forward your professional opinions. Bob

After more than 20 years working together, Caelin and I find ourselves of like mind on the majority of application questions but if he differs he can chime in. For your system, the best value may be the Denali 6000/S if it is attractively priced, along with an Alpha HC or an Alpha EF power cord.

The reason for my recommendation is the nature of your system, which is not an HT system where you might be inclined to say "budget be damned" when it comes to power distribution.

Yes, the new D 6000/S v2 is notably better in terms of independent outlet isolation, high-current transfer, measured noise reduction and performance but if you are looking to stay within a budget mirroring your system, buying a dealer demo D/6000S with an Alpha HC at a substantive savings will get you performance you would be very pleased with.

In a SOTA or aspirational, performance based sound or video system such as your main system - or anything approaching that, I'd be inclined to recommend a Denali 6000/S v2 without qualification - you went top shelf with the Tv3 so its a moot point. The 6000/S v2 is leaning toward Triton level performance but obviously these gains become more apparent as system's scale up.

To hit the performance marks you described with the system you listed, I think the Denali 6000/S and a Alpha C-19 will do an amazing job. You can spend more and get better performance with the D6Sv2, but I look at your system and think "best value" as well as best overall performance. Projecting percentages of "better" versus percentages of "cost" is a less exact science in systems constructed with an eye to keeping within a reasonable budget.

I recommend e-mailing me specifics relative to cost differences and we can dial this variable in so you have the best fit between cost and performance.

Best regards,

Grant
grant@shunyata.com
Shunyata Research

Masterlu 06-10-2019 06:16 PM

Grant... I placed your email on your profile, for future reference by members. :ok:

It’s under “about me” once someone clicks on your name.

kennyb123 06-10-2019 06:18 PM

I made the mistake of pulling my Denali 6000/S out of my two channel system to see how it benefitted my A/V system, which includes a 65" LG OLED TV. At first I didn't think I noticed much of an improvement in picture quality. I was later convinced of it when I was blown away while watching "Mission Impossible: Fallout" from 4K disc via my Xbox One S. The picture clarity was STUNNING.

I had to return the Denali 6000/S to my two channel system but a subsequent viewing of "Fallout" had me missing it badly.

RLF 06-10-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantS (Post 968163)
After more than 20 years working together, Caelin and I find ourselves of like mind on the majority of application questions but if he differs he can chime in. For your system, the best value may be the Denali 6000/S if it is attractively priced, along with an Alpha HC or an Alpha EF power cord.

The reason for my recommendation is the nature of your system, which is not an HT system where you might be inclined to say "budget be damned" when it comes to power distribution.

Yes, the new D 6000/S v2 is notably better in terms of independent outlet isolation, high-current transfer, measured noise reduction and performance but if you are looking to stay within a budget mirroring your system, buying a dealer demo D/6000S with an Alpha HC at a substantive savings will get you performance you would be very pleased with.

In a SOTA or aspirational, performance based sound or video system such as your main system - or anything approaching that, I'd be inclined to recommend a Denali 6000/S v2 without qualification - you went top shelf with the Tv3 so its a moot point. The 6000/S v2 is leaning toward Triton level performance but obviously these gains become more apparent as system's scale up.

To hit the performance marks you described with the system you listed, I think the Denali 6000/S and a Alpha C-19 will do an amazing job. You can spend more and get better performance with the D6Sv2, but I look at your system and think "best value" as well as best overall performance. Projecting percentages of "better" versus percentages of "cost" is a less exact science in systems constructed with an eye to keeping within a reasonable budget.

I recommend e-mailing me specifics relative to cost differences and we can dial this variable in so you have the best fit between cost and performance.

Best regards,

Grant
grant@shunyata.com
Shunyata Research

Thanks and appreciated Grant. I just sent you a PM

RLF 06-10-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyb123 (Post 968171)
I made the mistake of pulling my Denali 6000/S out of my two channel system to see how it benefitted my A/V system, which includes a 65" LG OLED TV. At first I didn't think I noticed much of an improvement in picture quality. I was later convinced of it when I was blown away while watching "Mission Impossible: Fallout" from 4K disc via my Xbox One S. The picture clarity was STUNNING.

I had to return the Denali 6000/S to my two channel system but a subsequent viewing of "Fallout" had me missing it badly.

Something similar happened to me some years back when I pulled a power conditioner out of my stereo and temporary put it into the home theater system. Be darned if it didn’t work wonders there too. When I yanked it back to the stereo, my dear non-audio/videophile wife made me put it back into the home theater as she was upset that the picture was washed out without it. Go figure. Now she doesn’t complain when I want to “upgrade my plugs” as she puts it. :D

Puma Cat 06-10-2019 11:50 PM

I've been using Shunyata power distributors and cords for my home theatre setup for years now. You can see the improvement they bring with your own eyes. Its pretty remarkable. All the benefits RLF pointe out are visibily there. The soundtracks sound better too, of course.

BTW, I can highly recommend the Shunyata Venom HDMI cable, too.

RLF 06-11-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 968195)
I've been using Shunyata power distributors and cords for my home theatre setup for years now. You can see the improvement they bring with your own eyes. Its pretty remarkable. All the benefits RLF pointe out are visibily there. The soundtracks sound better too, of course.

BTW, I can highly recommend the Shunyata Venom HDMI cable, too.

Thank you for your input. It’s most appreciated.

It’s good that you hear and see the improvements with the Shunyata stuff in the same way that I do.