AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   B&W Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Do speakers die of old age? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48690)

edkoz 09-22-2020 11:33 AM

Do speakers die of old age?

Do speakers die of old age and need to be replaced? I have a pair of B&W 802D speakers that have served me well since I got them(they are some of the first ones that were delivered after they were introduced). The reason for the question is that the mid range Kevlar speakers have change color over the years. They have become much darker and I am concerned that they have or may become brittle in the future. Would it be advisable to replace them now.
Thanks Eds

PHC1 09-22-2020 11:41 AM

Everything dies of old age given enough time. :sigh:

I am sure there are outfits out there that offer repair and reconing services for B&W as well as other brand speakers. Not all manufacturers offered replacement parts but I am sure there are solutions out there. A quick google search returned a few hits on B&W repair shops so they are out there. :yes:

hdvidguy 09-22-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edkoz (Post 1015187)
Do speakers die of old age and need to be replaced? I have a pair of B&W 802D speakers that have served me well since I got them(they are some of the first ones that were delivered after they were introduced). The reason for the question is that the mid range Kevlar speakers have change color over the years. They have become much darker and I am concerned that they have or may become brittle in the future. Would it be advisable to replace them now.
Thanks Eds

I have older speakers then you, 802N and I play them all the time. No colour change. Sometimes they get played somewhat loud and all is fine.

David S. 09-22-2020 12:54 PM

Rocking a pair of 802 Matrix S3 here. No signs of them slowing down. :P

thughes 09-23-2020 10:06 AM

I have a pair of 803D1s that have also had the color shift. Some time ago I contacted B&W about the shift and their reply said the change in color is normal. That was probably back when the D1s were still the speakers they were selling.

I have been using the 803D1s since I bought them. They are in my HT right. I can't tell that the darkening has any effect on performance.

keef 09-23-2020 10:49 AM

I have 2 pairs of Thiels that I use that are 20 to 25 years old and they sound great. I am sure capacitors are probably not up to original spec and ferro fluid in the tweeters might need tweakiing. But they still move me greatly so I will play them till they die.

But to the point above everything electronically dies eventually.

Masterlu 09-23-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keef (Post 1015258)

But to the point above everything electronically dies eventually.

Even Carbon based units perish. :sigh:

David S. 09-23-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1015259)
Even Carbon based units perish. :sigh:

Not my thing, but? Know a few folks who are running Klipsch or other horn speakers, from the VERY late 1950's, or so, with ZERO repairs since that time. Know even more folks with JBL speakers from the late 1960's, that have NEVER been touched, but used almost daily.

Only things that typically die or degrade badly (other than under extreme use) within 20 or 30 years might be foam surrounds, or electrolytic caps. Oh - any maybe the adhesive on Magnepans - that was/is surely an issue.

George Prentice 09-23-2020 06:44 PM

We have 5 B&W 805 matrix ~ 1988 are great. We have used them continuously. We also have 4 800 ASW subwoofers. Occasionally one will get a buzz. Last time to the repair shop where one had the cone re-taped the tech said I had better get them all re-taped soon as it is much cheaper to re-tape before a cone tears. Like $150 Before versus $500 After. So number two and three are in for re-taping now.

PHC1 09-23-2020 07:56 PM

Ppp

Besides the obvious mechanical stress, wear and tear on the drivers, capacitors will degrade over time. They are typically considered failed at 25% drift but can degrade worse than that. If a speaker plays music after 25 years, chances are it’s not the same voice it had when it was a youngster :D