AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

squirrelman 03-19-2015 11:40 PM

Well I just joined the club and I am super happy. I picked up a used cream Inspire KT-88 with Popes,6H1N-EB and a Sophia mesh plate 274b.

It did manage to pick up a little boo boo in shipping even though the seller was great and packed it well and that brings me to my question. Somehow the two output transformers got slightly bent towards the power transformer. They are leaning slightly now, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect on the amp as everything working just fine.

Has anyone had this happen to them, and is it anything that I need to worry about? Should I just leave them be or is it safe to bend carefully back into position?

pstrisik 03-20-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrelman (Post 684853)
Well I just joined the club and I am super happy. I picked up a used cream Inspire KT-88 with Popes,6H1N-EB and a Sophia mesh plate 274b.

It did manage to pick up a little boo boo in shipping even though the seller was great and packed it well and that brings me to my question. Somehow the two output transformers got slightly bent towards the power transformer. They are leaning slightly now, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect on the amp as everything working just fine.

Has anyone had this happen to them, and is it anything that I need to worry about? Should I just leave them be or is it safe to bend carefully back into position?

Welcome squirrelman! Congrats on your inspire. Bummer that it was damaged. Did it actually bend the chassis or just the mounting of the transformers? Have you considered contacting Dennis and ask about having it gone over to insure everything is safe and up to spec?

squirrelman 03-20-2015 01:09 PM

I actually was able to fix it. I looked closer and it just bent the mounting of the transformers. I was a little hesitant to try bending them at first, but when I examined them closer it was just the mounting tabs so I gave them a gentle push and they straightened right up so all is good!

I couldn't be happier with the amp so far, the sound is amazing. It replaced a little miniwatt N3 so as expected it blows that out of the water I must say.

Anyways on to some tube questions for everyone. I have the Russian Rocket 6H1N-EB and am thinking about grabbing a Telefunken E88CC instead, anyone have any experience with the two and if its worth the upgrade?

jdandy 03-20-2015 01:55 PM

squirrelman.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

squirrelman 03-20-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 685007)
squirrelman.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

Thank you so much, I'm enjoying my stay here already. I have had a blast lurking and reading through this huge thread twice before buying so I'm looking forward to hopefully adding to it!

Masterlu 03-20-2015 03:49 PM

squirrelman... Welcome to AA! :wave:

pstrisik 03-21-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrelman (Post 684995)
I actually was able to fix it. I looked closer and it just bent the mounting of the transformers. I was a little hesitant to try bending them at first, but when I examined them closer it was just the mounting tabs so I gave them a gentle push and they straightened right up so all is good!

I couldn't be happier with the amp so far, the sound is amazing. It replaced a little miniwatt N3 so as expected it blows that out of the water I must say.

Anyways on to some tube questions for everyone. I have the Russian Rocket 6H1N-EB and am thinking about grabbing a Telefunken E88CC instead, anyone have any experience with the two and if its worth the upgrade?

Well, that's a relief!

Regarding tubes: I haven't listened to the Telefunken. I've been advised that it is in the territory of very clean and a bit forward. I have tried several drivers, like a 1971 Holland Phillips SQ 6922, that are supposedly similar. Instead, I've gravitated towards the 1970's 6N23P "Rocket" from the Voskhod plant. Overall more pleasing, less irritating, more 3D (all IMO). Grab a couple from eBay, they run pretty cheap and worth a try.

nhparrot 03-21-2015 06:04 PM

After trying a number of different rectifiers (5U4GB, 5U4G, 274B, and 5AR4) and two different 6L6's (reissue Tung-Sols, and Svetlana Winged "C") in my amp, I think I prefer the 6V6 sound over the 6L6. Next need to see what KT77's will sound like.

Currently rockin' with a Raytheon 6SN7GT/VT-231 driver, a pair of Hytron 6V6GT, and a RCA 5Y3GT

slefley 03-22-2015 11:02 AM

I just finished a little tube comparison in my 6L6 amp between the Tung-Sol 6L6, Pope 6V6 and Tung-Sol KT150. In my system and with my preferences for transparency, soundstage and midrange tone I prefer the KT150. It fell in between the 6L6 (not quite as transparent as I like) and the 6V6 (very transparent but a little 'bright' for my tastes). I used a 274b solid plate for this comparison, but later swapped in a Mullard 5AR4 which added just a touch of warmth.

nhparrot 03-22-2015 02:03 PM

slefley, Is your amp one of Dennis's recent 6L6 Fire Bottles (like below in copper)? Did you swap in the 274B and 5AR4 with the 6V6s as well as the 6L6's and KT150s? What are you using as a driver?

Thanks
Glenn

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps40eaa55e.jpg