AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Justlisten2 03-22-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane1 (Post 591996)
Okay, thanks for the confirmation. So, does the 6V6G work as well? I prefer the look of those over the smaller 6V6 tubes...I noticed DH has two different types of 6V6 tube amps. One with the short stubby tubes, and the other with the taller coke bottle type 6V6G's.

I don't know, you'd have to ask The Man that question.

Coltrane1 03-23-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 591945)
I just asked him about break in time. I've got things set up now and will do some listening this evening. Ihave to run out for errands and will leave it playing for a few hours.

Season Two of HOC is much more intense with Frank going sociopathic, so I'd say they are different rather than either is better. The first season had a somewhat slower pace. I'm reading that there will be a season three. Season two ended up so it could go either way, IMO. End it there or new chapter (I'm trying not to give any spoilers).

Gorgeous side by side shot. What rectifier is that mated with the KT150's?

pstrisik 03-23-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane1 (Post 592246)
Gorgeous side by side shot. What rectifier is that mated with the KT150's?

Thanks! I since switched positions with the preamp on the outside and amp in the center. Seems more natural with its bigger tubes. That big beautiful rectifier is the 274B. Dennis thought it had a bit more midrange quality and I agree. Brings it down to 10wpc from 12wpc I'd get with the 5AR4.

Simonatsea 03-23-2014 10:58 PM

Still waiting on my green 6V6. Cleared customs this morning, unfortunately I am off to work for three weeks.... Anticipation right! I've order a pair of KT88SC penta tubes as well as a pair of SED Winged C EL34's and a SED Winged C 5U4 Black plate. I'll be trying out a few different input tubes as well, EH 6SN7 Gold pin and a Shuguang Treasure CV-181Z tube. I'll let you know how the rolling pan's out. Not sure what tube compliment Dennis ended up shipping out, I explained my current setup and ask him to tune it to his tastes..... Three weeks is going to be a long wait.
Look forward to hearing a few of your thoughts and comparisons of your new babies.

Simonatsea 03-24-2014 02:27 AM

Just to clarify, the kt-88sc and the 5u4 tube are the only new ones, the others will be coming from my existing collection.....

pstrisik 03-27-2014 01:48 PM

Just a quick update on my LP-2 pre and KT150 amp combo. I've been pretty quiet since the LP-2 arrived.

I am definitely enjoying it. This weekend, I will do a switch back to the SLP-05 to see what I notice moving in that direction, then likely back again.

The difficulty is that my speakers are not ideal. They are 87db sensitive AR2ax'. They are powered well at about 80db, but somehow it seems to me that I really need more sensitive speakers to do justice to the Inspires in my assessment as volume is at 2:00 for my typical listening level. I have Omega Super 7 XRS' on order (93db single drivers). They are custom made and will probably be two to three weeks before I have them.

Formerly YB-2 03-27-2014 02:34 PM

Peter - will guess that you are correct in your thinking on the AR2ax. IIRC they are a sealed box, which is also generally somewhat less easy to drive than a ported design. With my 20wpc SET amps am driving 88db 8ohm speakers, but listening in the 'near field' at about 6ft, which is a real advantage.

Justlisten2 03-27-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 593545)
The difficulty is that my speakers are not ideal. They are 87db sensitive AR2ax'. They are powered well at about 80db, but somehow it seems to me that I really need more sensitive speakers to do justice to the Inspires in my assessment as volume is at 2:00 for my typical listening level. I have Omega Super 7 XRS' on order (93db single drivers). They are custom made and will probably be two to three weeks before I have them.

Maybe this is the next logical step......:yes:

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Speaker.jpeg

pstrisik 03-27-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 593557)
Peter - will guess that you are correct in your thinking on the AR2ax. IIRC they are a sealed box, which is also generally somewhat less easy to drive than a ported design. With my 20wpc SET amps am driving 88db 8ohm speakers, but listening in the 'near field' at about 6ft, which is a real advantage.

Yup. I'm listening at 10ft in an ~600sf room.

pstrisik 03-27-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justlisten2 (Post 593571)
Maybe this is the next logical step......:yes:

Tease!

What do you know?

I saw that speaker in the background in one of Dennis' photos, but didn't know it was his design. Looks like MTM OB.