AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Simonatsea 09-20-2016 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 804276)
Then it does matter! What happens if the amp is set with 8 Ohm trannies and I couple it to Soul Superflies?

I didn't want to find out. I know I read about another gent that found using the 8ohm secondaries on his transformers yielded better low frequency performance from his Zu Omen rated at 12ohm.

Rosco65 09-20-2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 804488)
I didn't want to find out. I know I read about another gent that found using the 8ohm secondaries on his transformers yielded better low frequency performance from his Zu Omen rated at 12ohm.

The impedance of a speaker is nominal at best. Speakers are not resistors and the actual impedance can vary dramatically with frequency. With a higher impedance, we can expect perhaps a slightly lower out put power which may or may not improve the amps sound. At the same time, an impedance mismatch (e.g., 16 ohm speaker on an 8 ohm tap) will cause an increased reflected impedance in the primary, changing the output tubes operating point. This may not have a dramatic effect, since some tubes like the 300B have been successfully run anywhere from 2.5K to 5K primary impedance.

I don't know Dennis' operating points, but he may be optimizing his amps for specific tube types. The KT88 is often run as low as 3.5K while the EL84 or 6V6 are run as high as 7K. If I had to make a guess (and this is only a guess) Dennis is running his amps with 5K primaries, which allows some leeway for tube types from KT88 to 6V6. If that is true, using a 16 ohm speaker may actually make a 6V6 sound better, while a lower impedance speaker may sound better with a KT88. Coincidentally, the 16 ohm speaker will present an easier load for the lower power 6V6 while the lower impedance speaker will present a more difficult load for the higher power KT88.

Musica Amantem 09-20-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosco65 (Post 804461)
I think a difficulty many of us face is trying to get high efficiency speakers to do too much. Unless we commit to some some fairly physically imposing speakers, we usually end up in some sort of compromise. High efficiency usually comes at the expense of deep bass; the horn size to produce a true bass wave is enormous, and it is difficult to get a high efficiency direct radiator to move that kind of air.

It is also difficult to make an uncompromised full range speaker. They usually have a rising response in the midband that is hard to match at the top end. Omega speakers are no different in that regard, just better at it than most (I'm looking at you, Fostex). The best way to think about a full range driver is that it is in reality a wide range driver, with compromises on the bottom and top ends of the frequency spectrum. However, this crossoverless, wide range driver can sound really, really good and is a pretty easy load for the amplifier.

Peter has addressed some of these shortcomings by going active: he runs servo-driven midbass subs, actual subs, and upward-facing tweeters on the top. He uses a line-level crossover, cutting the main drivers (Omega Super Alnico Monitors) in above the midbass, probably relieving them of half the acoustic power, letting his 5-10 watt amp behave like a 10-20 watt amp. I'm quite sure he never wants for more power.

I use a couple different pairs of Omega's as well, but am working on a "big rig" speaker. The main driver is an Altec 414C (97dB efficient, 8 ohms, runs without crossover from 40hz to 4,000hz). This driver cover the entire vocal range. Above 4,000Hz, I will use an Altec 802d (nominally 106dB, 8 ohms, but probably about 100dB in the range I will be using it) with a 1st order crossover bringing it in at 6-8,000Hz. The 802 is mounted on an Altec 32A horn - an odd bent horn derived from the WE 32A horn. This bent horn is suitable for use in smaller spaces like studios or listening rooms (in contrast to other Altec horns which were designed to be used in theaters). The enclosure is more or less an Altec 614 of 3.3 to 4 cu ft tuned to 40-50Hz. I don't anticipate using a subwoofer in my small room, but if I did I would go with Peter's choice of Rhythmik servo subwoofer(s).

If that sounds like a lot of effort using expensive, hard to find (and sometimes no longer in production) parts, you could go with Peter's method of efficient single driver with active subwoofers, or you could find a nice pair of Klipsch speakers (Heresy, Cornwall, Forte, Chorus, or LaScala) and update them with nicer crossovers and diaphragms. If you choose Heresy's or LaScala's you'll probably still want bass reinforcement, but you'll never want for power.

Agreed. All good points you make. I think my interest is to add a set of speakers side by side my current ones (I have another set of speakers at even less sensitivity) for when I feel like playing through a DHT SET.

All speakers present compromises, so do amps, I did not need to have a SET, I could have chosen a PP design for power, I just don't like the tradeoffs. I need at least a real 104 dB's sensitivity in a decently priced set of speakers for a true DHT SET to shine. I may find it someday.

Regarding the active SUBs, I'm planning to add a stereo set of those and replace my aging Velodyne, in due time. That should help both amps as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

FloridaBoy 09-20-2016 09:56 AM

Musica,

You don't need 104db to enjoy true DHT. I had a 45 driving 98db 12" single drivers and it was plenty. Probably 3 watts with EML solid plates. The speakers were actually too much for my room. If I had a huge man cave....

I think I'm going to give the Omega CAM's a go. There is something special about single driver alnico speakers. At 95db they should work well. What I hope to gain is texture and tone. Louis has a 30 day trial so there is little risk.

Analog Addict 09-20-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosco65 (Post 804461)
I think a difficulty many of us face is trying to get high efficiency speakers to do too much. Unless we commit to some some fairly physically imposing speakers, we usually end up in some sort of compromise. High efficiency usually comes at the expense of deep bass; the horn size to produce a true bass wave is enormous, and it is difficult to get a high efficiency direct radiator to move that kind of air.

It is also difficult to make an uncompromised full range speaker. They usually have a rising response in the midband that is hard to match at the top end. Omega speakers are no different in that regard, just better at it than most (I'm looking at you, Fostex). The best way to think about a full range driver is that it is in reality a wide range driver, with compromises on the bottom and top ends of the frequency spectrum. However, this crossoverless, wide range driver can sound really, really good and is a pretty easy load for the amplifier.

Peter has addressed some of these shortcomings by going active: he runs servo-driven midbass subs, actual subs, and upward-facing tweeters on the top. He uses a line-level crossover, cutting the main drivers (Omega Super Alnico Monitors) in above the midbass, probably relieving them of half the acoustic power, letting his 5-10 watt amp behave like a 10-20 watt amp. I'm quite sure he never wants for more power.

I use a couple different pairs of Omega's as well, but am working on a "big rig" speaker. The main driver is an Altec 414C (97dB efficient, 8 ohms, runs without crossover from 40hz to 4,000hz). This driver cover the entire vocal range. Above 4,000Hz, I will use an Altec 802d (nominally 106dB, 8 ohms, but probably about 100dB in the range I will be using it) with a 1st order crossover bringing it in at 6-8,000Hz. The 802 is mounted on an Altec 32A horn - an odd bent horn derived from the WE 32A horn. This bent horn is suitable for use in smaller spaces like studios or listening rooms (in contrast to other Altec horns which were designed to be used in theaters). The enclosure is more or less an Altec 614 of 3.3 to 4 cu ft tuned to 40-50Hz. I don't anticipate using a subwoofer in my small room, but if I did I would go with Peter's choice of Rhythmik servo subwoofer(s).

If that sounds like a lot of effort using expensive, hard to find (and sometimes no longer in production) parts, you could go with Peter's method of efficient single driver with active subwoofers, or you could find a nice pair of Klipsch speakers (Heresy, Cornwall, Forte, Chorus, or LaScala) and update them with nicer crossovers and diaphragms. If you choose Heresy's or LaScala's you'll probably still want bass reinforcement, but you'll never want for power.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...psbda168e0.jpg

Musica Amantem 09-20-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 804511)
Musica,

You don't need 104db to enjoy true DHT. I had a 45 driving 98db 12" single drivers and it was plenty. Probably 3 watts with EML solid plates. The speakers were actually too much for my room. If I had a huge man cave....

I think I'm going to give the Omega CAM's a go. There is something special about single driver alnico speakers. At 95db they should work well. What I hope to gain is texture and tone. Louis has a 30 day trial so there is little risk.

CAM's are new, so I'm not too familiar with these, but on paper seem the right compromise if reinforced with one or two SUB's. I also like the Alnico Super Monitors and those may be better in terms of lower frequencies, probably making the SUB's somewhat irrelevant. Tone, speed and texture should be ok.

The 95 dB's rated sensitivity may turn out much lower in reality, so beware. That is my experience with Tekton. Sound great but are really not 98 dB's-equivalent in real life conditions.

Interesting your former 45 SET could be well-driven by nominal 98 dB'speakers ... My listening room is small and I usually listen near-field, so there may be some hope there, but I believe my Tekton's are not 98 dB's, more like 94 or so. Again, I'm not in a rush, we'll see. In the meantime, I want to really dial-in my Triode-strapped KT88 Inspire gear and enjoy it to the max.

One thing that concerns me is the bad job the 6V6 output tubes do in my gear, to the point these sound anemic. This is, I believe, an indication the speakers are not helping them sing. 6V6 G ST's might yield only 4 watts of power, whereas the 6V6 GT's somewhere around 5 watts with the right rectifiers. In my Tekton set the sound is anemic. 6L6 and KT88 are another thing altogether. These results are always with the LP-27a preamp in the equation.

Aercool 09-20-2016 04:06 PM

Zu + Inspire

Hi BC,

My room isn't large, approx. 12' wide, 10' from speakers to listening position (another few feet between the speakers and the wall) - but there's no back wall to my listening area - it opens up into the kitchen. Actually quite good for limiting reflections.

My genre is mostly Americana, Grateful Dead, etc. No Metallica or speed metal.... ;^)

Take a look at the impedance curve on the Zu's. There's a big bump up to around 55 ohms at 30 Hz, and 65 ohms in the curve at about 75 Hz. I can only guess that's what's behind the loss of bass control with the Inspire. I lack the technical expertise to diagnose this. I did re-solder my OPT leads to (first) the 8 ohm tap and then (second) the 16(?) ohm tap at Dennis' direction. Going from the 4 to the 8 ohm helped, but didn't solve the problem. The 16 ohm tap just seemed lifeless. The Zu's are great speakers though - very musical and fun to listen to with the right amp. Don't give up on the Zu's. You might want to do some kind of crossover and hand the bass off to a subwoofer? That's the paradox though - the Zu's are capable of the bass, but the Inspire wasn't. I was using a Inspire LP-2 with the KT-150. I used a bunch of different tubes in the KT-150, even up to some vintage Tung-Sol KT6550's and some nice ECC88 types, but nothing fixed the bass (Track 1, Disc 2 from Lucinda Williams "Down Where the Spirit Meets The Bone" was my pass/fail. The bass on this track would fuzz out and get very saturated and muddled.). Clean and deep bass on the First Watt amps and a ToolShed Amps Transcendence 12 (KT-88's driven by E80F's).

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCityUSA (Post 804425)
Aercool,

It has been a while and I do not recall your setup. What are your room dimensions, listening volume, primary genre,...? I was seriously contemplating a pair of Zus to mate up with the PSE I have on order from Dennis, though this bit of dialog here of late has me discouraged. I may have some Omega Omnis in my future instead.

o 09-20-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 804553)
Take a look at the impedance curve on the Zu's. There's a big bump up to around 55 ohms at 30 Hz, and 65 ohms in the curve at about 75 Hz. I can only guess that's what's behind the loss of bass control with the Inspire. I lack the technical expertise to diagnose this.

That's the paradox though - the Zu's are capable of the bass, but the Inspire wasn't.

Impedance saddle in bass indicates bass reflex design tuned to 45 hz and has nothing to do with the Inspire not producing bass with these speakers.
It is a mismatch between the speakers and amp, not the fault of one or the other.

Did you have a triode or pentode amp?

o 09-20-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 804547)
6V6 G ST's might yield only 4 watts of power, whereas the 6V6 GT's somewhere around 5 watts with the right rectifiers.

In the triode amps the 6V6 puts out @ 2.5 watts.
The pentode amp is @ 5 watts.

BearCityUSA 09-20-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 804553)
Hi BC, My room isn't large, approx. 12' wide, 10' from speakers to listening position (another few feet between the speakers and the wall) - but there's no back wall to my listening area - it opens up into the kitchen. Actually quite good for limiting reflections. My genre is mostly Americana, Grateful Dead, etc. No Metallica or speed metal.... ;^) Take a look at the impedance curve on the Zu's. There's a big bump up to around 55 ohms at 30 Hz, and 65 ohms in the curve at about 75 Hz. I can only guess that's what's behind the loss of bass control with the Inspire. I lack the technical expertise to diagnose this. I did re-solder my OPT leads to (first) the 8 ohm tap and then (second) the 16(?) ohm tap at Dennis' direction. Going from the 4 to the 8 ohm helped, but didn't solve the problem. The 16 ohm tap just seemed lifeless. The Zu's are great speakers though - very musical and fun to listen to with the right amp. Don't give up on the Zu's. You might want to do some kind of crossover and hand the bass off to a subwoofer? That's the paradox though - the Zu's are capable of the bass, but the Inspire wasn't. I was using a Inspire LP-2 with the KT-150. I used a bunch of different tubes in the KT-150, even up to some vintage Tung-Sol KT6550's and some nice ECC88 types, but nothing fixed the bass (Track 1, Disc 2 from Lucinda Williams "Down Where the Spirit Meets The Bone" was my pass/fail. The bass on this track would fuzz out and get very saturated and muddled.). Clean and deep bass on the First Watt amps and a ToolShed Amps Transcendence 12 (KT-88's driven by E80F's).

Thanks Aercool,

I was hoping you would describe your music tastes as,... well, awful, but alas we have similar music tastes. I have time to ponder the whole issue in that I will be awaiting the addition to the house which is still in design phase.

Anyone have experience with omni type speakers. I am interested in the idea of a larger prime listening area than a typical single full range speaker. Conceptually a upward firing driver seems like it would spread the soundstage and focal area. Louis at Omega builds custom omnis.

BTW, we just passed 2,500 posts. Thanks for starting this all Peter and thanks to all the contributors.