AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

x3workshop 08-10-2016 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 796966)
Did Dennis wire your amp in triode by your request? ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 796978)
No, he just built it that way. I believe a switch could be added to allow it to be simply run single ended. I may have that done someday but I don't feel that I need to. I'm done chasing my tail in audio.

My amp is wired as a SE in triode mode. Two quotes from Dennis confirm this:

"Speaking of special sounds, the KT88 (6550) sounds fabulous in class A, triode SET operation. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon listening to your amplifier in the shop listening room. Love it."

"This amp is pure SET. Hugh output transformers ... this is a life-time music machine. I run the output tubes in the triode mode. "

FloridaBoy 08-10-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Addict (Post 797021)
In general, Dennis has not been a huge fan of the KT-150s. And a suggestion for you from me and Dennis. If you try your amp with the La Scalas again, try using a 5Y3G rectifier.....

My amp has a UX4 rectifier socket. We used an 80 first and then a 5Z3 with the Pope 6V6GT's. They really came alive with the 5Z3. The Pope tubes can easily handle the additional voltage.

FloridaBoy 08-10-2016 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x3workshop (Post 797137)
My amp is wired as a SE in triode mode. Two quotes from Dennis confirm this:

"Speaking of special sounds, the KT88 (6550) sounds fabulous in class A, triode SET operation. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon listening to your amplifier in the shop listening room. Love it."

"This amp is pure SET. Hugh output transformers ... this is a life-time music machine. I run the output tubes in the triode mode. "

X3,

I inquired about an amp and Dennis replied with 'you have to get the one I am working on now.' 20 watt transformers built on the 45 chassis single ended, triode wired. It is the same amp you have and is one I'll never part with. Ditto for the LP27a. All the amps Dennis is building are excellent...just different.

I did change the coupling capacitors in both units. Just personal preference. I have a good selection of old production 6SN7's but prefer the Shuguang/Psvane CV181's.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2wfp852.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/akcxvd.jpg

FloridaBoy 08-10-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 796966)
Did Dennis wire your amp in triode by your request?

I have a European PP amp wired in triode, running a quad of Sylvania Fat Boy 6CA7s. Produces around 18-20 wpc. It sounds fabulous. Has Audio Note output transformers. It runs so cool, even after two hours of playing the OTs are barely warm.

That sounds like a fine amp.

FloridaBoy 08-10-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 796852)
This is good for me. I've never dropped big bucks on a rare NOS tube. Have been able to pick up some decent vintage tubes at reasonable prices. I have 11 matched pairs of various EL84 tubes. That should hold me a while, even if I don't get maximum tube life.

Burn baby Burn!

FWIW and IMHO, the current price of most vintage power tubes is based on rarity not sonics. Many audio nuts believe that the top tier new production power tubes are better sounding than old production. As always, there are exceptions.

Bombadil 08-10-2016 05:31 PM

Dennis has some interesting opinions on tubes. He is the only person I have ever heard who prefers the JJ KT77 over the Genalex, many people have a strong preference in the other direction. And, while not all, most like the KT150, with some very expensive amps running them.

timeout59 08-10-2016 06:01 PM

Floridaboy, what rectifier is that in your amp?

How much improvement did you notice in your LP27a with the Jupiter caps? Those look really nice and if they sound the same, I'd like to do the same :thumbsup:

timeout59 08-10-2016 06:04 PM

Although I would not trust my soldering skills to do that job. How much do you charge? Just kidding, last thing you want is a bunch of us sending our Inspire amps and preamps to you.

guitardave 08-10-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 797200)
Dennis has some interesting opinions on tubes. He is the only person I have ever heard who prefers the JJ KT77 over the Genalex, many people have a strong preference in the other direction. And, while not all, most like the KT150, with some very expensive amps running them.

Yes, I have a ref75se and they are great in that. Of course it is optimized for that tube. But it is a spectacular amp in every way.

FloridaBoy 08-10-2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout59 (Post 797204)
Floridaboy, what rectifier is that in your amp?

How much improvement did you notice in your LP27a with the Jupiter caps? Those look really nice and if they sound the same, I'd like to do the same :thumbsup:

It's an 'old stock' Full Music 274a, 4 pin 5U4G, from 2000 or so. I found several of them for little $$$ on the auction site

Caps are a personal thing, you need to research and experiment to decide what works for you. The Jupiters just made the music sound more natural. My perception FWIW. Caps, like tubes, do sound different. The pre amp uses 1.5uf caps and the amp uses .022uf which are much less $$. I used a .01uf copper V-Cap paralleled with a .015uf Vitamin Q in the amp. V-Cap copper are bass champs and the Vitamin Q's are smooth, rich and detailed. The combo works for me. I changed them first and let them fully settle in before I did preamp. There is a lot of info on the web Google 'the sound of capacitors'.

There wasn't anything 'wrong' with the caps Dennis used. My amp came with KT88's but I prefer the 6V6 6L6 family. :D

It is not difficult to do the work. Only 4 solder joints.