AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Simonatsea 02-02-2016 11:39 PM

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps7gn1irod.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...pst34whttr.jpg

I will get better shots when I get home. The first picture is taken before its completion. The second shot you can see the auricaps xo output capacitors. I have not looked inside my LP-2 but I believe it would be the same as the red one above.

The duelands, I think I would have to install spaces and longer screws to mount the base back on. First things first, I need to see if this setup can run my KEF LS50's. If not it will be LP-2 to SS amp (wyred4sound or PS audio Trio)

Musica Amantem 02-03-2016 07:10 AM

FWIW, I came across this Caps review at Lampizator, and found it quite useful as a general guide:

CAPACITORS

In this short article there's a graph plotting results across six competing attributes. After looking at it I came out with the following conclusions (again, this is only based on the authors' biased perception, but better than nothing):

Jensen Copper are all about midrange, in which they really excel relative to all others, but at the cost of trading off everything else! At the other extreme, VCap Copper seems to be all about details, high freq extension and soundstage with a tightly controlled bass, but at the cost of killing the midrange (worst in the group). Somewhere in the middle, Jupiter Copper looks as a balanced compromise across all attributes ... Not excelling in any, but not missing anything either ... The Duelund Copper misses in controlling a tight bass, does not extend much at higher freqs. and is not good at details, but excels in soundstage, bass depth and midrange.

If it wasn't for the midrange sacrifice of the VCap copper, I would get those, but given these results, I prefer the balanced approach of the Jupiter Copper. Someone may want to combine the extremes of VCap Copper and Jensen Copper and get the best of both worlds, if that is possible ...That would be the best overall!

So, it is Jupiter Copper for me.

pstrisik 02-03-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 757286)
From Dennis on the subject;

Well hello, hello .... nice to hear from you. I hope all is well on your end. The red coupling caps in your LP-2 are Audyn 4.7 uF at 400 VDC. If you wish to upgrade I might mention the white Audyn 1.5 uF at 800 VDC metalized film and foil caps. These are the coupling caps I use in the LP-27a preamplifier. In my opinion if you wished to upgrade the output coupling caps in your LP-2, I would simply replace them with the Audyn White 1.5 uF at 800 VDC film and foil caps like I use in the LP-27a as mentioned above.....................

This reads that one can/should replace 4.7uF with 1.5uf caps for an upgrade. So not just changing the quality of caps, but the spec as well??

Simonatsea 02-03-2016 04:46 PM

That is the way I read it. Just pulled the trigger on some Audyn True Copper Max 1.5uf 630v. With shipping they were just shy of $110 for the pair.
Maybe a silly purchase but it sounds like a fun experiment. The review of the true copper cap on hummble hifi, plus Dennis' endorsement of Audyn pushed me over the edge.
I'll keep you up to date.

Simonatsea 02-03-2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 757806)
That is the way I read it. Just pulled the trigger on some Audyn True Copper Max 1.5uf 630v. With shipping they were just shy of $110 for the pair. Maybe a silly purchase but it sounds like a fun experiment. The review of the true copper cap on hummble hifi, plus Dennis' endorsement of Audyn pushed me over the edge. I'll keep you up to date.

Just realized the size in these caps.... 50mm x 50mm...... It gonna be tight! The audyn plus are 25mm dia..... I guess spacers and new screws might be the order of the day.

pstrisik 02-03-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

That is the way I read it. Just pulled the trigger on some Audyn True Copper Max 1.5uf 630v. With shipping they were just shy of $110 for the pair.
Maybe a silly purchase but it sounds like a fun experiment. The review of the true copper cap on hummble hifi, plus Dennis' endorsement of Audyn pushed me over the edge.

Please do - and thanks for pioneering! :tiphat:

FloridaBoy 02-03-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Simon, would you please measure them when you get them? I want to use a pair in my preamp but am not sure if they will fit. Also, I don't think you will be disappointed with the result. :thumbsup:

FloridaBoy 02-03-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 757810)
Just realized the size in these caps.... 50mm x 50mm...... It gonna be tight! The audyn plus are 25mm dia..... I guess spacers and new screws might be the order of the day.

I don't think that 50mmx50mm is correct but that is the figure I have seen too. I measured the pre internally and 50mmx50mm will not fit in the LP27a.

FloridaBoy 02-03-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 757733)
FWIW, I came across this Caps review at Lampizator, and found it quite useful as a general guide:

CAPACITORS

In this short article there's a graph plotting results across six competing attributes. After looking at it I came out with the following conclusions (again, this is only based on the authors' biased perception, but better than nothing):

Jensen Copper are all about midrange, in which they really excel relative to all others, but at the cost of trading off everything else! At the other extreme, VCap Copper seems to be all about details, high freq extension and soundstage with a tightly controlled bass, but at the cost of killing the midrange (worst in the group). Somewhere in the middle, Jupiter Copper looks as a balanced compromise across all attributes ... Not excelling in any, but not missing anything either ... The Duelund Copper misses in controlling a tight bass, does not extend much at higher freqs. and is not good at details, but excels in soundstage, bass depth and midrange.

If it wasn't for the midrange sacrifice of the VCap copper, I would get those, but given these results, I prefer the balanced approach of the Jupiter Copper. Someone may want to combine the extremes of VCap Copper and Jensen Copper and get the best of both worlds, if that is possible ...That would be the best overall!

So, it is Jupiter Copper for me.

I think you made a good choice. Price and sonics are not directly proportional.

FloridaBoy 02-03-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 757640)
I missed what mods you did to your inspire? What model do you have? What mods was dennis recommending for you LP-27?
Parts express has Audyn true copper caps 1.5uf, I was thinking about using those instead of the Audyn plus caps. The true copper caps are around $55 each at parts express. They also have true copper 0.1uf I could use for bypass caps. O was doing some reading and it seems .15uf would be a better fit but they are not available in true copper caps.
Seems like keeping with Audyn might be a good place to start as all the rest of the caps in the amp and pre are audyn.
Looking at the sale on the dueland cast copper .45uf for the Amp output coupling caps. They are on sale at part connextion for $185 each..... But that might be going too far.....

I agree.