AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   How do you organize/remember streaming albums? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46593)

audioguy3107 09-02-2019 05:56 PM

How do you organize/remember streaming albums?

Now that the DCS Rossini is installed and in the system, I've spent some time exploring Qobuz and Tidal and enjoying some of the streaming Hi Rez files they have to offer. It's bee a lot of fun so far. What I have been disappointed with is the basic organization that Tidal and Qobuz offers to their members. It looks like artists, favorites and playlists are about as far as you can go using their streaming apps or the DCS Mosaic app....I haven't explored Roon yet although maybe I will in the future. I posed this question to Marc and Steve and they both told me the same thing, you cannot organize playlists by artist/genre etc. using either streaming service.

For example, if i wanted to make a playlist of all Bach albums I like that are High Rez, it's going to be just a long line of tracks instead of organized by albums which would be a heck of a lot more convenient. The list of course would work, but if you have a list of 25 albums, it'll take a bit to find what you're looking for rather than if was organized by folder. Let's say I wanted to make a list/folder of "Stereophile" recordings by year or something, is there no way to organize other than one huge list of songs?

I assume the answer is no, so if so, what do you all use to keep track of favorite albums etc? Do you just use the playlist feature and live with it? I found a neat app on iOS called CLZ Music which allows you to organize your collection by pretty much any tag you want, label, artist, genre and it'll sort whichever way you tell it. Of course the drawback there is that it's in another separate app and you have to load everything you like in there which could take forever. That being said, you can do pretty much any search and it'll find what you're looking for so it's great for archiving your albums....then you could go to your music streaming app and search for it. Anyway, what do you all use to remember favorites when you're listening to Tidal or Qobuz?

- Buck

Masterlu 09-02-2019 06:16 PM

I use JRiver/JRemote w/ SilenZio in every single music system I own with a huge variety of DAC’s. I can literally do anything I want; create endless Playlists ie; Rock, Christmas, Demo’s etc.

It is extremely Robust, as I consider myself a power user and rely heavily on my SilenZio Servers/JRiver Media Center to do all my demos. Lighting quick, works with all streaming services etc.

Sorry if it sounds like a paid advertisement; it wasn’t meant to be. :o

audioguy3107 09-02-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 978320)
I use JRiver/JRemote w/ SilenZio in every single music system I own with a huge variety of DAC’s. I can literally do anything I want; create endless Playlists ie; Rock, Christmas, Demo’s etc.

It is extremely Robust, as I consider myself a power user and rely heavily on my SilenZio Servers/JRiver Media Center to do all my demos. Lighting quick, works with all streaming services etc.

Sorry if it sounds like a paid advertisement; it wasn’t meant to be. :o

No, that's fine, unfortunately DCS products are not compatible with JRiver or any of the other 3rd party apps except for Roon. Since the Rossini has the built in streamer/endpoint, it's either their Mosaic app (which is great, it's just kind of their "version" of the Tidal/Qobuz app), Roon is the only other control app that you can use unless I'm mistaken but I don't think Roon is able to offer the kind of playlist control either from what I understand.

- Buck

Masterlu 09-02-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 978323)
No, that's fine, unfortunately DCS products are not compatible with JRiver or any of the other 3rd party apps except for Roon. Since the Rossini has the built in streamer/endpoint, it's either their Mosaic app (which is great, it's just kind of their "version" of the Tidal/Qobuz app), Roon is the only other control app that you can use unless I'm mistaken but I don't think Roon is able to offer the kind of playlist control either from what I understand.

- Buck

That was the deal killer for me with many other brands of Music Servers. I require open architecture with my audio files/NAS.

Antonmb 09-02-2019 06:56 PM

How do you organize/remember streaming albums?

I use CLZ (Collectorz) to catalogue music I own: downloads, CDs, and vinyl. It’s a great app, has Windows and Mac programs and syncs across all devices, but it’s really a cataloging software, not designed for what you want.

Roon has favorites and playlists, but their playlists, like others, end up as a list of tracks. However Roon also has a feature called “Tags” which allows you to create a tag and then tag albums or tracks. I use it mostly to tag the discs of a box set, but it would work well for what you’re trying to do. You could set up a tag for your Bach favorites and tag the albums and/or tracks you want. You then go to the “Tags” view to see the selection of tags, select the tag you want, and then view the tagged items by album, artist, track, or composer. Unfortunately playing everything in a tag is a bit clunky, there’s no single “play” button to play everything with that tag, you have to select the albums and then select play, or add them to the current queue.

Still-One 09-02-2019 08:55 PM

Roon is the answer. You can organize your playlists choose genre or so many other options. I have several playlists but still choose most often by artist.

Ventoux 09-02-2019 10:31 PM

ROON is the answer. I still have a JR sub for video, but ROON is far superior for audio. Period.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 978338)
Roon is the answer. You can organize your playlists choose genre or so many other options. I have several playlists but still choose most often by artist.

nicoff 09-02-2019 10:45 PM

Roon without a doubt. The BEST music database management today.

For The Love of Music 09-03-2019 01:36 AM

How do you organize physical recordings?

audioguy3107 09-03-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 978373)
How do you organize physical recordings?

Alphabetically of course.....the thing is the Mosaic app doesn't break a playlist or albums down any further so I'd have this one long massive list of alphabetical albums. All I'm looking for is for it to separate by artist first, then give my "playlist" of albums. If you "favorite" an artist, it gives you everything available, not just the ones you want.

- Buck