AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   I got a new A&K A&Ultima player, what headphones? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44062)

Mouse 10-12-2018 11:59 PM

I got a new A&K A&Ultima player, what headphones?

I got a new A&K A&Ultima sp1000 player, what headphones can I drive?

I'm a fan of IEMs and I have a really good one on order, but what open back headphones will I be able to drive?

I like LCD-X, but what else should be on my list to demo? Can I do Auteur?

PHC1 10-13-2018 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 935525)

I'm a fan of IEMs and I have a really good one on order, but what open back headphones will I be able to drive?

The LCD-X is much easier to drive with the 20 ohm impedance and 103db/1mW rating for a portable device. The Auteur with its 300 ohm impedance and lower sensitivity shines with a dedicated headphone amp, tubes or SS. You can try the Auteurs, perhaps you will be satisfied but I doubt you will get 100% out of them.

radio times 10-13-2018 12:43 AM

What IEM's did you choose Mouse? Sadly I'm totally useless on headphones.

Mouse 10-13-2018 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radio times (Post 935534)
What IEM's did you choose Mouse? Sadly I'm totally useless on headphones.

JH Audio Layla custom fit IEM. They sound perfect with A&K, that's what they were demoing with at RMAF.
My Campfire Andronica sounds really good too, it's just not in the same league nor price bracket as Layla.

I also have ordered new Campfire's Equinox custom IEM too. Their demo at RMAF sounded great too, and probably much easier to drive with an iphone, they also make lightning cables too. Lightning isn't exactly audiophile friendly, but I'm not always going to have my AK player, and sometimes I want to watch a movie on a plane.

IEM with a perfect seal is the perfect companion on an airplane. :yes:

radio times 10-13-2018 02:44 PM

Pretty darn svelte choices I might add!

PHC1 10-13-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 935538)
JH Audio Layla custom fit IEM. They sound perfect with A&K, that's what they were demoing with at RMAF.
My Campfire Andronica sounds really good too, it's just not in the same league nor price bracket as Layla.

I also have ordered new Campfire's Equinox custom IEM too. Their demo at RMAF sounded great too, and probably much easier to drive with an iphone, they also make lightning cables too. Lightning isn't exactly audiophile friendly, but I'm not always going to have my AK player, and sometimes I want to watch a movie on a plane.

IEM with a perfect seal is the perfect companion on an airplane. :yes:

:ok:

robfine 10-14-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 935525)

I have the LCD-XC, the closed version. They also play well with DAPs (I use them with Onkyo DP-X1 and Questyle QP2R).

Mouse 10-24-2018 10:32 PM

My CIEMs came in today. All I can say is wow. There are things that JH Layla doesn't do as well as a full system, but with this A&K DAP/Layla CIEM combo there is a lot more detail and speed when listening to Al DiMeola, McLaughlin, DeLucia than I remembered. I thought this album sounded great on my Mc/SF system, until today.

Maybe the DAC, maybe the source, maybe the absence of enough room treatment to hear all this detail, but WOW.

Mouse 10-24-2018 10:49 PM

Serge, will LCD-4Z work with A&K SP1000?

Impedance 15 ohms
Sensitivity 98 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point)