AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Legacy (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36913)

minnie55 08-29-2016 07:40 PM

Legacy

Just wondering why we don't see Legacy speakers come up for sale that often? Do the Legacy owners like them that much they are not willing to part with them? I do like mine, but I am always open to other brands, that upgrade virus seems to bite all the time

JWH 08-29-2016 08:28 PM

I've been thinking about Lgeacy. What models do folks out there love?

audioguy3107 08-29-2016 10:06 PM

I've always heard great things about most Legacy models.......it doesn't seem that they have the popular dealer network that some like Wilson, Focal and Sonus Faber have. There has been universal praise for the Legacy V system in the literature, the system won The Absolute Sounds' product of the year award in 2015, no small feat.

V | Legacy Audio - Building the World's Finest Audio Systems

- Buck

wpascoe 08-30-2016 12:14 AM

I still think the best bang for the buck in audio is a pair of the original Focus towers. You can regularly find them in good shape used online for $2,000-$3,000. At 96 dB efficiency, even a McIntosh MC240 can drive them to good SPL. And they sound fantastic at high volume.

I flew to Chicago and then drove to the plant (several hours away) to audition the Whisper XDS and the then-new Aeris a few years ago. Decided on the Whispers because at the time the main set up had to double as the home theater set up and I wanted the wider sweet spot afforded by the Whispers. Enjoyed them immensely for the year I had them in the system before moving on, but eventually decided that I had invested too much in creating a good analog signal chain that it made no sense to reprocess the signal digitally and then back to analog (as was required by the speaker system).

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

SCAudiophile 10-02-2016 09:03 AM

*****I am not a dealer and have no financial interest in the company whatsoever, just a long-term owner and fan...*****

Legacy has a very limited dealer network as they cut back on a much larger dealer network years ago for various reasons from what I was told and to keep the connection to the customer base more in keeping with how they started and gained accolades in their somewhat earlier years when it was owners helping prospective buyers based upon real, long-term listening experience, etc... Also, Legacy is extremely open to direct contact with their customers and operates and treats their customers more like family who happen to own their speakers than customers. There is also none of the 'high-end' audiophile speaker manufacturer hubris, secrecy about specs, arrogance, ridiculous "smoking their own exhaust" prices, etc....they are truly a joy to deal with and Bill and team really get into how their speakers play music. Having sat in at Legacy's showroom/factory for many hours listening to music with them, I can personally attest to this. My other comments are based upon 11 years of owning nothing but their speakers (save for a REL B1 Britannia sub that I loved....) for a 7.1 ch home theater/2-channel hybrid setup and for many years now, for my 2-ch rig.

I've owned (multiple years each): Focus 20/20, FocusHD, Focus SE, AERIS, Silver Screen II, Silver HD, MIST II, Studio HD and Victoria LE. I've done extended listening with Whisper HD (? forget exact model designator), Whisper XDS and the new "V" reference.

They are on a short list of manufacturers who pack a LOT more value into their speaker than the price they ask for them. Another thing is the total range of types of music they can play convincingly, that being all; I've never heard anything they don't play well and with ZERO ear fatigue even after 8+ hours. The sweet spot is huge and they are not 'finicky' to setup. I could go on and on but I'll stop at this point. Many who have been to my home over the years and heard various models will say similar things...

Depending upon your room size and budget, I'd suggest;

Focus HD or in particular FocusSE
Focus SE with WAVELET RoomEQ/DSP (new offering)
AERIS with WAVELET
Whisper XDS (with its included processor) or prior models with Wavelaunch
"V" with WAVELET

All are extremely good/amazing (to me); you cannot go wrong with any of the above.

For smaller rooms and budgets, the Signature SE and Legacy's monitors will impress as well.

I'm glad to talk/answer questions within this thread, PM, phone, etc...to answer any questions anyone may have and to link you up with other Legacy owners as well.

GeAllan70 10-02-2016 10:48 AM

http://tas.zeitpress.com/resizer/art.../?size=648,460

Ahh Mazing!!!

:yes:

Reedarino 10-02-2016 05:09 PM

Ahh Mazing, I just bout the exact Focus SE in rosewood you show in your pic. Will pick them up in 2 weeks. What are you powering them with?

o 10-02-2016 06:10 PM

That is an older version replaced by the much better IMO SE.

http://legacyaudio.com/images/made/i...ut_434_624.jpg

Masterlu 10-02-2016 06:13 PM

Reedarino... Welcome to AA! :wave:

vinod_david 10-03-2016 12:04 AM

Reedarino, welcome to AA.

GeAllan70 10-03-2016 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedarino (Post 806590)
Ahh Mazing, I just bout the exact Focus SE in rosewood you show in your pic. Will pick them up in 2 weeks. What are you powering them with?

^^^

I heard them at my local shop.... and I left crying without them...

They have the new model now...he has them with D'ags Momentums....

He invited me for an audition...very tempting.

:yes:

SCAudiophile 10-03-2016 03:42 AM

Reedarino: Welcome to AA!!!

Oscar 09-14-2017 12:09 AM

I like my set. :)

My tiny office I have them in is horrible for acoustics, but DSP helps out a lot.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...EF2b3dZeEdfTFk

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...kR3OVc5SEVhRUU

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...lZxS0JMYWpQbDQ

Setting up for in-room tuning
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...jc1RjB2c3poVUk

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...lcwS3RkTWJjV0E

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...GFfSDBNY1VBOEk

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...GFfSDBNY1VBOEk

I know, I know, solid state is not ideal. It's all I've got for now. :)

David S. 09-14-2017 12:39 PM

WOW!

As someone who was born & raised in Illinois, I've always had great respect for Legacy.

There is NO question, you get some incredible value for your money, all the way through their range. Hard to argue against absolute quality, either, tossing budget aside.

Perhaps someday, I'll have a pair of their Focus, or Whisper, or whatever the equivalent they have when the time comes. I've just never had the right room to do them justice.

audioguy3107 09-14-2017 12:56 PM

Nice pictures! Are those in an office in a school you work at? If so, probably the nicest set of monitors in a school building ever!

- Buck

SCAudiophile 09-14-2017 12:57 PM

Absolutely agree....owned many models over an 11 year period finishing with AERIS with the Wavelet processor. Cabled and powered as I had them, I had to go all the way up to TAD R1s before I found something that performed the way I needed them to and that was just not a big name with a big price.

Oscar 09-14-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David S. (Post 867072)
WOW!

As someone who was born & raised in Illinois, I've always had great respect for Legacy.

There is NO question, you get some incredible value for your money, all the way through their range. Hard to argue against absolute quality, either, tossing budget aside.

Perhaps someday, I'll have a pair of their Focus, or Whisper, or whatever the equivalent they have when the time comes. I've just never had the right room to do them justice.

Don't worry about the room. Their Wavelet processor works wonders. I got to hear the Aeris system with and without room correction via the Wavelet, and I was able to toggle between those two settings on the Legacy Audio phone App, and the difference (which occurs almost instantaneously) makes the room a pretty much non-factor.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...Wg4cEFLUUVoTEU

Oscar 09-14-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 867075)
Nice pictures! Are those in an office in a school you work at? If so, probably the nicest set of monitors in a school building ever!

- Buck

Yes Sir! They sound killer and everybody I demo them to has been floored with the way they can pin-point singer's voices in well-recorded music. They are dumbfounded because their mind is tricking them into thinking that the voice is coming from a single point of thin air in front of them, yet there is no one there. They are left in awe.

Coming soon within the next month, the Calibre's will take their place along with acoustical sound absorption foam to control room reflections. Should sound a good bit better! :smoking:

Chevalier85 09-14-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 867078)
Don't worry about the room. Their Wavelet processor works wonders. I got to hear the Aeris system with and without room correction via the Wavelet, and I was able to toggle between those two settings on the Legacy Audio phone App, and the difference (which occurs almost instantaneously) makes the room a pretty much non-factor.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...Wg4cEFLUUVoTEU

Agree with Oscar here.

I have my Focus SE hooked up to the Pb2 and Wavelet.

My living room is less than ideal but the wavelet somehow manages to make it sound magical still.

Masterlu 09-14-2017 07:27 PM

Chevalier85... Welcome to AA! :wave:

jdandy 09-14-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 867024)
I like my set. :)

My tiny office I have them in is horrible for acoustics, but DSP helps out a lot.

I know, I know, solid state is not ideal. It's all I've got for now. :)

Oscar.......Your photos are too large to be viewed without scrolling left and right. Try resizing them to now larger than 1400 pixels wide before posting them so that we can enjoy the entire photo on the screen with having to scroll up, down, left, and right to only view part of the picture.

Oscar 09-15-2017 11:39 AM

Photos fixed. :)

jdcarlson 11-04-2017 06:36 PM

I have a pair of Legacy Signature IIIs that I have owned for ten years. I use them in my system at my office. I have mine bi-amped using McIntosh MEN220 feeding four McIntosh MC2255s - (1) left upper, (2) left lower, (3) right upper, and (4) right lower. Each of the MC2255s are in mono mode. This gives me 1,000 watts per channel. The Legacy speakers handle this quite well. I must admit that adding the MEN220 upstream of the four MC2255s cleaned up the midrange considerably. With three 10" woofers in each channel, there is no lack of bottom end.
In over 50 years of following audio (and being involved as a musician, on-site recording assistant, and orchestra conductor) I have listened to a lot of speaker systems, from Altec A-7s, as well as many "audiophile" type speakers, on down to AR, and a lot of others. I will not say the Legacy Signature IIIs are the best I have ever heard (that prize goes to to KLH Model Nines), but for the money they aquit themselves VERY well.
I would have little hesitation to recommend anything from Legacy.

SCAudiophile 11-04-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minnie55 (Post 800720)
Just wondering why we don't see Legacy speakers come up for sale that often? Do the Legacy owners like them that much they are not willing to part with them? I do like mine, but I am always open to other brands, that upgrade virus seems to bite all the time

People who own them love them and only sell when they upgrade which is not too frequently. In my case I've owned MANY different models but held them all for years at a time....

SCAudiophile 11-04-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevalier85 (Post 867109)
Agree with Oscar here.

I have my Focus SE hooked up to the Pb2 and Wavelet.

My living room is less than ideal but the wavelet somehow manages to make it sound magical still.

Great setup with the AERIS & Wavelet and Caliber & Wavelet; those monoblocks are also to die for in the sound quality department! As a long-time owner of the Legacy, and most recently the AERIS + Wavelet, I will say the ones in this photo should be toed in more to point the tweeters immediately behind the head at the listening position, same with Calibers. The AERIS could also be pulled out from the backwall another 1-2 feet to have more breathing room. It's true Wavelet basically takes the room out of the equation but starting with a better setup yields even better results.

For any Wavelet owner out there, 2 important upgrades I made that pole-vaulted overall performance was the use of a HDPlex bespoke power supply made to Legacy's specs. (HDPlex owner made 5 such linear-regulated supplies and knows the specs....) Another upgrade was the use of a custom XLR5:XLR5 umbilical from Revelation Audio (Cardas, Kimber, and one other also agreed they could build it), between Wavelet and the PSU. This combination plus what AERIS & Wavelet was so good, when I had to get out of active speaker setups due to complexity and a very strong WAF issue, it took the TAD R1s to better what the Legacy setup I had provided,...no b.s. I listened to many speakers $150k and under,...only the R1s had what it took to equal/better the AERIS-Wavelet-HDPlex-RevAudiolabs combo I had running. I parted with that setup to a good friend's home in Florida but not without alot of sadness....

Anyone contemplating anything from Legacy is making a damned smart move IMHO...

Oscar 12-30-2017 03:32 AM

Been busy with work all semester long, but still thoroughly enjoying my Calibres! Here's my latests in-room FR plot with Parametric EQ via a dbx Driverack PA2 DSP unit:

38Hz F3 my a%^ !!! Frequency response: 23 - 20,000+ Hz. Yes, they sound stupid good. :D

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZE PIC
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...P3-JOhKecePqhR

SCAudiophile 12-30-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 889348)
Been busy with work all semester long, but still thoroughly enjoying my Calibres! Here's my latests in-room FR plot with Parametric EQ via a dbx Driverack PA2 DSP unit:

38Hz F3 my a%^ !!! Frequency response: 23 - 20,000+ Hz. Yes, they sound stupid good. :D

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZE PIC
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...P3-JOhKecePqhR

Outstanding in-room performance! Have you tried with the Legacy Wavelet as yet? That could also remove the last little bits of room interaction you may be experiencing,...

Mark (Long-time Legacy owner,....many models included AERIS + Wavelet)

Oscar 12-30-2017 03:39 PM

No wavelet as of yet. Perhaps I might get one next summer.

SCAudiophile 12-30-2017 08:20 PM

It is worth the stretch!

Weirdcuba 12-30-2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdcarlson (Post 877484)
I have a pair of Legacy Signature IIIs that I have owned for ten years. I use them in my system at my office. I have mine bi-amped using McIntosh MEN220 feeding four McIntosh MC2255s - (1) left upper, (2) left lower, (3) right upper, and (4) right lower. Each of the MC2255s are in mono mode. This gives me 1,000 watts per channel. The Legacy speakers handle this quite well. I must admit that adding the MEN220 upstream of the four MC2255s cleaned up the midrange considerably. With three 10" woofers in each channel, there is no lack of bottom end.

In over 50 years of following audio (and being involved as a musician, on-site recording assistant, and orchestra conductor) I have listened to a lot of speaker systems, from Altec A-7s, as well as many "audiophile" type speakers, on down to AR, and a lot of others. I will not say the Legacy Signature IIIs are the best I have ever heard (that prize goes to to KLH Model Nines), but for the money they aquit themselves VERY well.

I would have little hesitation to recommend anything from Legacy.

Ummm, that’s one helluva an office system ....