AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Why Shindo gets almost no review ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8545)

Jerome W 05-31-2011 01:49 AM

Why Shindo gets almost no review ?

Hello friends,

I was searching for Shindo in Stereophile.
I found out that Art Dudley used the Corton Charlemagne EL34 monoblocks when reviewing both the Sophia 2 and the 3. He seems to love them : he did not even try those speakers with any other amp ! And Peter McGrath was with him.
Usually they try speakers with various amps.
As the Corton was the monoblock I was interested in the Shindo line, I'm a bit frustrated to see that they use an amp they love, since they test speakers with it, and they don't review it !
What the hell is that ?
Probably because Shindo does not pay them any ad.....:scratch2:
That does not give me the will to read the Hi-Fi press anymore. :icon_thumbsdown:

TommyC 05-31-2011 03:09 AM

Have you check out Tone Import's website? There are several reviews. I found some of them to be good readings.

I've spend a few weeks researching this mystical brand and read all the reviews/road trips/forum threads I could find. From my search, the best way to enjoy Shindo is to go all Shindo from speakers to cables. Mixing and matching only "EQs" the sound, like Matt from Perfect Pitch Audio said in one of his blogs. Perhaps this is one of the reasons Shindo doesn't get a lot of reviews?

Jerome W 05-31-2011 03:21 AM

Hi Tommy,

I'm not so sure about that. Of course, a 100% Shindo system will give the full Shindo spirit, but I know a few people using only one Shindo component and being delighted with it.
Cellindo here uses a Monbrison preamp, with Cello power amps and Sasha speakers.
He told me that the Monbrison has a magic that he never found elesewhere.

I finally found this in Stereophile : Listening #55 Page 2 | Stereophile.com
Rather more a "listening" than a complete review of a product. But Art Dudley seems to be in love with the Shindo sound, except for matching them with Quad's.
All these reviews keep me thinking of :music: and I'm quite sure that if the Verdier 845 SET does not fit me, I will order the Corton EL34 monoblocks. And probably I will also order them even if I like the Verdier and buy them !

TommyC 05-31-2011 03:37 AM

Hi Jerome,

I can assure you I wasn't saying Shindo doesn't sound good on its own. On the contrary, it seems to create magic wherever it goes, just not as magical as a full Shindo system.

I would also love to hear some Shindo, but it's not possible.

cmalak 05-31-2011 07:12 AM

Jerome,

Here are some reviews for your reading pleasure. As Tommy said, there is a whole page of them at Tone Imports (the US importer of Shindo and Leben among other brands). Enjoy:

Tone Imports Product Reviews

Jerome W 05-31-2011 08:35 AM

Hey Cyril.
Thanks for the link.
That's not bad. I missed that.
My comment is still good when it comes to Stereophile. They seem to love them and they made a "review" more like an introduction to the different products, and not a detailed review of an amp they seem to love : the Corton EL34.
I'm biased I know, because I am interested in these blocks.

Alberto 05-31-2011 09:46 AM

Jerome,

I don't believe that the lack of reviews in audio magazines does not have to do with advertising but, rather, with the fact that many of them require a minimum number of distributors (I remember reading "at least 5 US distributors" for Stereophile) to consider items for a full review.

But I consider Art Dudley's use of Shindo gear in his own system (despite the lack of full reviews) to be even more telling than any review :tresbon:.

Alberto

Alberto 05-31-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 169472)
Hi Jerome,

I can assure you I wasn't saying Shindo doesn't sound good on its own. On the contrary, it seems to create magic wherever it goes, just not as magical as a full Shindo system.

I would also love to hear some Shindo, but it's not possible.

Nicely put Tommy.

Yes, given the $ and space (the speakers are big) a full Shindo system Shindo/Garrard 301 + Shindo Pre + Shindo power amp + Shindo Latour speakers would be very nice. I've heard it at Pitch Perfect Audio and it was magnificent.

But even a single component can bring magic.

Some anecdotal evidence:

My Shindo journey started with the Montille I "accidentally" found on Audiogon near my house. The guy who sold it to me had an Auriges preamp - I tried to buy it from him but he said "No way! It sounds too good. It's staying in my system." - and he was using it to drive a solid state Bryston amp in a system with components each costing several times more than the Auriges. The only reason he was parting with the Montille was that he needed more power for his speakers/room.

Having said that, for people without the room or $ for the Latour speakers, I think that the sweet spot is to have a Shindo pre and a Shindo power-amp.

If Jerome pulls the trigger on a pair of Shindo monoblocks, we'll know how they sound with the C1000 preamp.

Alberto

Jerome W 05-31-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 169495)
Jerome,

I don't believe that the lack of reviews in audio magazines does not have to do with advertising but, rather, with the fact that many of them require a minimum number of distributors (I remember reading "at least 5 US distributors" for Stereophile) to consider items for a full review.

But I consider Art Dudley's use of Shindo gear in his own system (despite the lack of full reviews) to be even more telling than any review :tresbon:.

Alberto

I got it Alberto !
Yes, if Art Dudley uses them, that's a strong indication of how much he loves them.
But I suppose that you mean "5 dealers" and not "5 distributors" :scratch2:

Alberto 05-31-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 169498)
I got it Alberto !
Yes, if Art Dudley uses them, that's a strong indication of how much he loves them.
But I suppose that you mean "5 dealers" and not "5 distributors" :scratch2:

Yes, I meant 5 dealers.

Alberto