AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   LPI Clamp - tweek or necessary (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47906)

Formerly YB-2 04-10-2020 05:11 PM

LPI Clamp - tweek or necessary

1 Attachment(s)
Not much of a believer in 'tweaks', but decided to purchase one of the LP1 LP weights that Ivan was offering as I've read good things about it from Ivan & others. It replaced my Discogs LP weight. And, am sad to say that it was a positive improvement from the first needle-drop. Sad because I waited so long to try one. It adds a positive 'flow' to the music that neither the Discogs or VPI nor cheapo predecessors did. Believe there is also a bit solidity to the bass. Take it for what its worth, but, like high-end cables & MC cartridges I'll mark this down as one of my audio epiphanies.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1586553114

Audiophilehi 04-10-2020 05:18 PM

Hi Glenn...glad to hear that. I just purchased an LPI from Ivan as well. Going to be listening tonight.

Masterlu 04-10-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 1001541)
Hi Glenn...glad to hear that. I just purchased an LPI from Ivan as well. Going to be listening tonight.

You are in for a real treat! :yes:

j3brow 04-10-2020 09:22 PM

Yep, the LPI is the real deal .... it was my 1st Stillpoints purchase. It’s a slippery slope from here, sorry for your wallet. [emoji41]

Formerly YB-2 04-11-2020 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 1001541)

Paul - Let us know what you think. Have to admit some surprise on my part.

Audiophilehi 04-11-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1001586)
Paul - Let us know what you think. Have to admit some surprise on my part.

Last night I spent a great deal of time listening to vinyl. It was just shy of 3AM before I just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I was just so delighted in what I was hearing and didn't want it to end.

The first thing I noticed was this sucker was heavier than my VPI weight. Once in place and spinning records there was an immediate change in what I was used to hearing. There was more detail and separation when listening to recordings with multiple guitars and voices. There was more distance between them and better layering from front to back. Some of that smearing was now gone.

On wind instruments and drum cymbals the edginess was all but eliminated. Dynamics were also increased, not that they were louder but now tighter and focused with more punch.

I would have to guess that the LPI accomplishes this due to its weight and ability to absorb vibrations. It seems to keep the LP from vibrating and allowing the stylus to extract as much detail as it can from the grooves on the LP.

I have to say that the Stillpoints LPI is a winner and just made me enjoy listening to my vinyl collection even more if that was possible. The LPI is staying and my search for a record weight is over.

Masterlu 04-11-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 1001604)
Last night I spent a great deal of time listening to vinyl. It was just shy of 3AM before I just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I was just so delighted in what I was hearing and didn't want it to end.

The first thing I noticed was this sucker was heavier than my VPI weight. Once in place and spinning records there was an immediate change in what I was used to hearing. There was more detail and separation when listening to recordings with multiple guitars and voices. There was more distance between them and better layering from front to back. Some of that smearing was now gone.

On wind instruments and drum cymbals the edginess was all but eliminated. Dynamics were also increased, not that they were louder but now tighter and focused with more punch.

I would have to guess that the LPI accomplishes this due to its weight and ability to absorb vibrations. It seems to keep the LP from vibrating and allowing the stylus to extract as much detail as it can from the grooves on the LP.

I have to say that the Stillpoints LPI is a winner and just made me enjoy listening to my vinyl collection even more if that was possible. The LPI is staying and my search for a record weight is over.

Paul... I’m very happy to read your most positive review. :ok:

Formerly YB-2 04-11-2020 03:02 PM

Paul - +1 Good read the LP1 has done for your listening what it has done for mine.
Enjoy!

audioguy3107 04-11-2020 03:40 PM

Glenn - Great to hear you're happy with the LP1. Ivan hooked me up with one of those a couple of years ago and I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement I heard from the standard VPI weight. It seemed to add a bit more solidity to the recordings and also seemed "quiet" down playback just a bit, a bit blacker backgrounds if you will. It's a great record clamp.

- Buck

Audiophilehi 04-11-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1001612)
Paul... I’m very happy to read your most positive review. :ok:

Thanks Ivan...I’m sure you already knew what the outcome would be. :yes::yes: Truly a game changer in record weights. :thumbsup::thumbsup: