AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Amazon rolls out HD streaming (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46683)

piolaxo 09-17-2019 02:01 PM

Amazon rolls out HD streaming

Amazon appears to be going all in with HD streaming. They are enabling this top-tier service today. This implies big repercussions for Tidal.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/2...xlMCPyvH2jQ7ho

crwilli 09-17-2019 02:04 PM

Good time to be a music lover!

audioguy3107 09-17-2019 03:53 PM

Tidal and Qobuz work just fine for me, I wonder if there's any difference between a file on there vs. the corresponding file on the new Amazon service? I can't imagine Amazon curating a library as thoroughly as Tidal or Qobuz, but who knows. What I do know is I really don't need any more monthly streaming accounts since I'm sure I'll have to add the Disney + for my kids in November. :grumpy:

- Buck

jdandy 09-17-2019 04:04 PM

I'm not streaming from a laptop ever again. Owning the Aurender N10 and N100H music servers has completely spoiled me for better sound quality. When and if Amazon can be streamed through Aurender's Conductor app like Tidal and Qobuz, then and only then would I consider it. The price is enticing, especially for us Prime members. Perhaps that will pressure Tidal and Qobuz to reduce their monthly subscription fees for their premium tiers, although my guess is that will be unlikely.

I log many more hours listening to my own personal music library than to Tidal. Sure, there's interesting music to discover from streaming services, unfortunately there's far more crap masquerading as music that I don't have time or desire to wade through. Streaming is okay, but it isn't my primary access to music. Even though Tidal lured me back with the 3 months for $9.99 deal, I am now back to paying $19.99 and once again considering canceling the service. Access to their library is one thing, but actually using it is another.

Still-One 09-17-2019 04:25 PM

It is highly unlikely that Amazon will allow Roon to integrate their offerings with our files so no matter what the price is I will stick with Roon/Tidal.

2fastdriving 09-17-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 979940)
It is highly unlikely that Amazon will allow Roon to integrate their offerings with our files so no matter what the price is I will stick with Roon/Tidal.

That would be really stupid of them...there are a lot of us that might hook into their service using Roon as a front end.

But I don't discount what you are saying, that's probably right on.

My concern is that Tidal or Qobuz might not be around in 5 years. Amazon will be.

bart 09-17-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 979943)
That would be really stupid of them...there are a lot of us that might hook into their service using Roon as a front end.

My concern is that Tidal or Qobuz might not be around in 5 years. Amazon will be.

Marc, you might be right.
I'm even surprised Tidal or Qobuz aren't bought yet by one of the major players (Apple, Amazon).

Still-One 09-17-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 979943)

Marc
Amazon and Apple are the two streaming services that could support ongoing losses easier than Tidal, Qobuz or even Spotify. They are the two services who probably won;t allow access by other to their technology. It is a issue for me.

2fastdriving 09-17-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 979948)
Marc
Amazon and Apple are the two streaming services that could support ongoing losses easier than Tidal, Qobuz or even Spotify. They are the two services who probably won;t allow access by other to their technology. It is a issue for me.

me too! i'm all-in for Roon.

crwilli 09-17-2019 06:04 PM

Why do we think Amazon will not allow front end access to ROON?

If they do allow ROON integration, have a lower price AND are even close to having similar libraries, I am signing up. I am still negotiating with myself on Qobuz vs. Tidal and as a result are paying for both. I am leaning towards Qobuz.