AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   B&W Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   B&W 802D3 Owners Club (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34301)

Kelvinz 03-27-2016 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 769887)
Yes, become a Subscriber and then you can PM folks your question.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php

Done! Sorry that I didn't know!

SwissBear 04-11-2016 08:36 AM

Plugging the bass conduit

Hi everybody,

New on the forum.

I own a pair of 802D3. I have an excessive bass response in my room (+15db at 30Hz), which makes it quite inaudible. Solution would be to plug the bass conduit (doing so with textile improves significantly the situation).

Does anybody know whether B&W has a mousse for that (they refer to it in the owner's manual but I could not find it in the packaging I received).

Thanks in advance.

ronsaa 04-11-2016 01:21 PM

Hi,

You must be referring to Foam Plugs. I don't think 800/802/803 D3's have foam plugs; it's not even listed in BW Group North America Support Parts List. I think this is a typo on the French Operating Manual referring to these (as tampons de mousse). Not sure if the 800->803 are designed to have Foam Plugs. You may need to place the speakers away from walls further, if that is possible in your setup.

804's/805's have Foam Plugs. That would compromise the full capabilities/potentials of the speakers. Best not to use them if you could place the speakers properly as optimally recommended.

Thanks.

Ron

andymartin 04-11-2016 02:43 PM

And/or you could get an amp/processor with bass management to handle the bass peaks in your room. Won't help much with potential cancellations though, but you'd be able to take that +15db hump you are referring to.

Masterlu 04-11-2016 02:52 PM

SwissBear... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Masterlu 04-11-2016 02:54 PM

andymartin... Welcome to AA! :wave:

SwissBear 04-11-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronsaa (Post 773287)
Hi,

You must be referring to Foam Plugs. I don't think 800/802/803 D3's have foam plugs; it's not even listed in BW Group North America Support Parts List. I think this is a typo on the French Operating Manual referring to these (as tampons de mousse). Not sure if the 800->803 are designed to have Foam Plugs. You may need to place the speakers away from walls further, if that is possible in your setup.

804's/805's have Foam Plugs. That would compromise the full capabilities/potentials of the speakers. Best not to use them if you could place the speakers properly as optimally recommended.

Thanks.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for translating mousse to foam ;) .
I checked and there is no reference of foam plugs in the English part of the manual. So you must be right. Thanks for answering.

SwissBear 04-11-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymartin (Post 773303)
And/or you could get an amp/processor with bass management to handle the bass peaks in your room. Won't help much with potential cancellations though, but you'd be able to take that +15db hump you are referring to.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for answering.

This is exactly how I could check the exact level and frequency of this anomaly in my room. I am using a Trinnov Amethyst, and the diagram, which I can not display here (not sure how to post pictures ?) clearly shows a peak at 30Hz; unfortunately +15db is above correction capacity. If I am inserting foam sheets or textiles under the the bass conduit, I can decrease the peak from +15db down to +10db where the processor can help. Just wanted to know if there was any appropriate foam plug.

I didn't precise that the distance from walls are already 1.5m (5 feet) so much more than minimum requirement from B&W.

Thanks again,

Pierre

Patrick Butler 04-11-2016 05:40 PM

Hi SwissBear,

Assuming the issue is at 30Hz, plugging the port might solve one problem, but mess up everything else. My suggestion would be a good parametric eq.

Best Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissBear (Post 773328)
Hi Andy,

Thanks for answering.

This is exactly how I could check the exact level and frequency of this anomaly in my room. I am using a Trinnov Amethyst, and the diagram, which I can not display here (not sure how to post pictures ?) clearly shows a peak at 30Hz; unfortunately +15db is above correction capacity. If I am inserting foam sheets or textiles under the the bass conduit, I can decrease the peak from +15db down to +10db where the processor can help. Just wanted to know if there was any appropriate foam plug.

I didn't precise that the distance from walls are already 1.5m (5 feet) so much more than minimum requirement from B&W.

Thanks again,

Pierre

SwissBear 04-12-2016 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Butler (Post 773339)
Hi SwissBear,

Assuming the issue is at 30Hz, plugging the port might solve one problem, but mess up everything else. My suggestion would be a good parametric eq.

Best Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Thanks for answering Patrick