AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Member System Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Built for the love of music..... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37143)

SCAudiophile 09-23-2016 03:55 PM

Built for the love of music.....

10 Attachment(s)
Here is the system as it stands today and has been for quite a while. It resolves and plays music in a very natural and musical way with great imaging, dynamics and energy in the room from low volumes all the way up. I've been through a lot of system changes over the years starting out again after a flood in the house in the early 90s when I lost a good vinyl 2-channel setup and a lot of LPs, trying to assemble a great hybrid 7.1 HT and 2-channel system, then moving past that back to 2-channel (all digital front-end this time) around 2008. I've been experimenting and tearing down + building back up ever since. I really like what the system gives me today and never thought I'd attain what I have, feeling very grateful along the way for how it all sounds.

I have an extensive music library bordering on the (as WAF tells me) insane. Love music of all types and my tastes run the gamut. Glad to be here and looking forward to participating, learning and contributing!

Legacy Audio AERIS Sapele-Pommele Cabernet & Black Pearl Finish
Legacy Audio Custom 10-post,6-way Terminal Plate
Esoteric Audio P-02 SOTA Transport
Esoteric Audio D-02 SOTA Dual-Mono DAC
Cybershaft (Japan) RBOCXO-01 10Mhz Premium Rubidium and OCXO Dual Master Clock 120V US Version
Esoteric Audio C-02 Dual-Mono Preamp
Esoteric Audio A-02 Master Soundworks Dual-Mono Stereo Amp
Legacy Audio / Boehmer Wavelet DAC-Preamp-Crossover-RoomEQ-DSP
HDPlex Limited Custom 100 Watt Linear Regulated DC Power Supply
Isotek Systems EVO3 SIGMAS Power Conditioner
Isotek Systems EVO3 TITAN Power Conditioner
Granite Audio Ground Zero Star-Grounding Station
Avatar Acoustics AFTERBURNER8 Outlets (5)
Cutler-Hammer, GE MLC and EP 20amp Dedicated Circuit (10gauge)
Environmental Potentials EP-2050 Surge Suppressor Wave-Form Correct
Environmental Potentials EP-2750 Ground Filter
Whole-House Ground CADWELD Kit & Dual Ground Rods
Adona Corporation AV45CS4 and AV45CS1 (multiple)
Composite Audio CF-2010 Platforms (multiple)
Harmonic Resolution Systems DPX Large Damping Plates Silver (5)
Harmonic Resolution Systems DPS Large Damping Plates Black (3)
Harmonic Resolution Systems DPX Medium Damping Plates Black (2)
Stillpoints Ultra SS with Ultra Bases (4) under Cybershaft RBOCXO-01
Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS under HDPlex Linear-Regulated DC Power Supply...
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold Speaker Cables 9-foot (1 pair)
Elrod Power Systems Signature Gold Speaker Jumpers (2 pair)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold XLR 6-foot (1 pair)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold XLR 4-meter (1 pair)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold XLR 6-foot (1 pair)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold XLR 3-meter custom (1 pair)
Kubala-Sosna ELATION 1-meter XLR AES/EBU (2)
Kubala-Sosna EMOTION 75-ohm BNC:BNC 1.5-meter Master Clock Cable
Wireworld PLATINUM STARLIGHT v7 75-ohm BNC:BNC 1.5-meter Master Clock
Esoteric/MEXCEL 8N-A2000 BNC:BNC 50-ohm 1.5-meter Master Clock Cable
Kubala-Sosna EMOTION 50-ohm 2-meter custom-built and EMOTION 75-ohm 1-meter BNC:BNC
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold 20amp 10-foot PC (2)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold 15-amp 6-foot PC (3)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Silver PC 10-foot
Elrod Power Systems Statement Silver PC 6-foot
Elrod Power Systems Custom 15amp Power Extender
Kubala-Sosna Emotion Powercord 1.5m
Revelation Audio Labs CryoSilver Reference Custom-Built DC Umbilical
Isotek Systems ELITE 2-meter C19 20-amp
Isotek Systems ELITE 2m Neutrik Powerconn connector to 20amp
B.M.C. PureUSB1 5-meter

*Note some photos do not show the Cybershaft clock due to their being older than some other photos. That clock is very much a part of the system and will remain exactly where it is!

Yamaki 09-23-2016 04:04 PM

I'd love to see some pics of that system.

audio bill 09-23-2016 04:13 PM

Welcome to Audio Aficionado, that's quite a system you've assembled. Looks like you'll fit right in around these parts!

bart 09-23-2016 04:48 PM

Welcome to AA!
And yes, we do love pics. :yes:

vinod_david 09-24-2016 01:02 AM

The list is huge. Please take your time and post reasonable size pictures for us.

SCAudiophile 09-24-2016 07:48 AM

Thank you all! I've been buried with work, which cuts into my listening time (hate that when it happens!) and did manage to get the above posted yesterday. I will post pictures over the next day or two. Have a great weekend!

SCAudiophile 09-24-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_david (Post 805142)
The list is huge. Please take your time and post reasonable size pictures for us.

Tell me about it <LOL>,...I'm still recovering from pack/unpack/move in 2014; not likely to want to do that again anytime soon! The music collection takes even more boxes and is a distinct "PITA" to box up, move and unpack; but definitely worth it ! Have a great day!

SCAudiophile 09-24-2016 04:03 PM

Posted the max number of photos allowed on the original post :-)

Apexorca 09-26-2016 01:20 PM

Looks like these speakers can play big. Nothing is like big drivers.
Great system. Congrats!

cma29 09-26-2016 02:12 PM

Excellent set up. Thanks for sharing.

SCAudiophile 09-26-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apexorca (Post 805518)
Looks like these speakers can play big. Nothing is like big drivers.
Great system. Congrats!

The definitely can and deep with finesse or slam as needed. The amazing thing about these speakers is how they can play small and delicate music and convey air, sense of space, etc...in anything I throw at them. I also have not found a single genre of music that they cannot play convincingly and well!

SCAudiophile 09-26-2016 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma29 (Post 805523)
Excellent set up. Thanks for sharing.

You are very welcome....thank you! That's a beautiful building in your avatar photo. What place is that?

Family Progtitioner 09-26-2016 08:21 PM

killer system. Nice job

markol 09-26-2016 09:23 PM

An Excellent system! I do believe it can play any type of music with an ease. Thank you for the pics!

pete6737 09-26-2016 11:19 PM

That's a great system! Well done.

SCAudiophile 09-27-2016 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Family Progtitioner (Post 805609)
killer system. Nice job

Thank you very much!

SCAudiophile 09-27-2016 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markol (Post 805619)
An Excellent system! I do believe it can play any type of music with an ease. Thank you for the pics!

You are welcome...thank you for the kind words about the system. I enjoy music with it so much more which is really why all this has happened in the first place!

SCAudiophile 09-27-2016 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete6737 (Post 805629)
That's a great system! Well done.

Thank you very much for the kind words...the level to which I hear music out of the system with a natural soundstage and all the energy in the music regardless of low or high SPLs is why all this has come together in the way that it did. Lots of lessons learned to be certain....

brad225 09-27-2016 10:26 AM

Wonderful system, it is a thing of beauty.

GeAllan70 09-27-2016 10:32 AM

Really Nice!!

:yes:

SCAudiophile 09-27-2016 10:34 AM

Thank you all for the good words on my system!

SCAudiophile 10-08-2016 10:12 AM

Thanks to alot of good advice from Ivan and other members of the forum, I am going to be given a set of HRS DPX Dampening plates a try as soon as they arrive 1-2 weeks from now. Given what other owners have emphatically stated, I expect images and well as many other aspects to improve and tighten up with these all over my system.

If they work, I'm in trouble because then I'll have to obsess over many M3X platforms and then racks from HRS!!! :yikes::icon_jump::hypnotist::rudolph::santa:

Where's that lottery ticket anyway :-) LOL!!!!

Family Progtitioner 10-08-2016 11:11 AM

Awesome system. How user friendly is the wavelet unit? I'm very intrigued by this speaker/DSP system.

Rick U 10-08-2016 01:05 PM

Hi Zephyr are you using any digital inputs for the wavelet?

Rick U 10-08-2016 01:19 PM

Family Progtitioner I also have the Aeris and wavelet. Once setup its very user friendly. You'll need an iPad and a tripod to position the microphone. Room correction sweeps can be done in about 45 minutes or less. Looks line Zephyr has his bi-amped?

Family Progtitioner 10-08-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick U (Post 807382)
Family Progtitioner I also have the Aeris and wavelet. Once setup its very user friendly. You'll need an iPad and a tripod to position the microphone. Room correction sweeps can be done in about 45 minutes or less. Looks line Zephyr has his bi-amped?

Thanks! Looks like the Wavelet has digital out so I guess that means I could keep my Ps Audio DSD DAC. Very nice

djwhog 10-08-2016 05:41 PM

Welcome to AA and very nice system you have created there!

Congrats on that:)

Catcher10 10-08-2016 05:50 PM

Outstanding rig......

SCAudiophile 10-11-2016 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Family Progtitioner (Post 807375)
Awesome system. How user friendly is the wavelet unit? I'm very intrigued by this speaker/DSP system.

Thank you!!! In short, "extremely" user friendly, painless and easy to use. Literally run 2 passes of tests, one for left speaker, one for right speaker, 4 feet away, mic aimed on-axis directly at center plate of the AMT (Air Motion Tweeter) and then submit the test results to Boehmer's server farm on the internet to compute the RoomEQ. The RoomEQ crunches away, something like 10 test phases, sometimes multiple iterations per test phase,...you watch it all in the logging window for progress via a web browser (or your iPad, etc..). When complete, you watch as the server send the package of revised curves, etc...down to the Wavelet and then you have your new RoomEQ in effect.

You also have the capability to engage apodizing or non-apodizing DAC, fine tune balance, levels, etc....save different contours and presets (your favorites) and various other functions. Once you have the RoomEQ results downloaded and enabled and the settings the way you like, you can not bring up the Wavelet's User Interface for weeks or months unless you want to change something (or your room or system or cabling changes and you want to recapture and re-run RoomEQ).

I had a XILICA 4080 Studio Pro DSP before this with the AERIS speakers; that unit was capable of much I never even had time to explore; the Wavelet is MUCH easier to utilize and get to enjoying the music.

Family Progtitioner 10-11-2016 09:13 AM

Sounds great. Interesting that the measurements are sent to their servers instead of being done inside the unit. Must be very sophisticated. The price point is almost too good to be true considering what speakers like my current ones go for.

I'm going to set up an audition. Thanks again.

SCAudiophile 10-11-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Family Progtitioner (Post 807861)
Sounds great. Interesting that the measurements are sent to their servers instead of being done inside the unit. Must be very sophisticated. The price point is almost too good to be true considering what speakers like my current ones go for.

I'm going to set up an audition. Thanks again.

From what I've been told, the algorithms are very sophisticated and the compute phases take a good chunk of horsepower that you would not necessarily want to pay additional for to sit in the Wavelet essentially being computer boards idling, consuming power and generating additional noise, RFI/EMI, etc...24 hours per day so offloaded the processing to separate servers makes a lot of sense acoustically (at least to me).

Let me know if you have any other questions; glad to help!

Rick U 10-11-2016 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zephyr24069 (Post 807845)
mic aimed on-axis directly at center plate of the AMT (Air Motion Tweeter)

Zephyr you just got me thinking. Can you confirm which tweeter you are ligning up with. I assumed the rectangular was the tweeter and the smaller AMT was the super tweeter.
Thanks

SCAudiophile 10-12-2016 05:30 AM

Good Morning! I was told by Legacy that the best course of action was to aim at the small part of the plate that is vertically between the lower (tweeter) module on the AMT plate and the upper (super-tweeter) module on the AMT plate.

For others' reference:

Legacy Audio Dual Air Motion Tweeter (AMT): Continuing the Pursuit for Perfection | An Engineers Perspective | Legacy Audio - Building the World's Finest Audio Systems

SCAudiophile 10-19-2016 07:56 PM

Modified system list,...small but very noticeable update in the cables section (8N!)

JSCC 10-21-2016 05:48 PM

Thats a beautiful system! How I wish I had your room space! All nicely and exquisitely put together.

I do feel the sentiment about the "pack, box, move, unpack ... and re-arrange". A real pain, but in the end, when its all over (plus the cleaning), one can really sit back, admire, look happy and enjoy the fruits of the labor ... and music! Cheers!

SCAudiophile 10-21-2016 06:42 PM

Thank you very much for your comments. Very grateful to have things as they are in the system and in life...

SCAudiophile 10-26-2016 05:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well...I took the plunge! As of yesterday, I have DPX (3" thick) dampening plates on my Esoteric P-02 Transport, Cybershaft clock, Isotek EVO3 TITAN (2) and Esoteric A-02 Amp. I have 5 more standing by to be applied to my D-02 DAC, C-02 Preamp, Isotek EVO3 SIGMAS and Legacy Wavelet but I have to disassemble the system and 3 racks to raise levels to make room for these thick plates on top of the remaining units.

With the Adona racks, Composite Audio platforms and heavy duty build quality of the Esoteric and Isotek gear I have, I would have never thought I had much side effect from component vibration from the air or otherwise as the system sounds greats, images extremely well. The Cybershaft, HDPlex and Legacy Wavelet were not a major issue due to the racks and isolation platforms I utilized despite their not being built like tanks like the Esoteric and Isotek gear as my images were very tight, accurate, good staging, musical, etc...

It turns out that set of conclusions is VERY incorrect; the HRS dampening plates provide immediate and very noticeable results in a distinct 'tightening up' of images, better transients and attack and clarity around notes that is particularly noticeable on tenor sax solos, double-bass note plucks/strikes, vocals, etc...

I am grateful to Ivan and others who have tried these plates and put out notes on how much they added to a system. I am very impressed by the bang for the buck ROI aspect of these reasonably priced items. Thank you!!!

Attachment 47936

Attachment 47937

Attachment 47938

SCAudiophile 11-07-2016 06:10 PM

Now up to 11 total HRS Damping Plates (5 large silver, 2 large black and 4 medium (3 black, 1 silver) plus Stillpoints Ultra SS with Bases on my Cybershaft clock and Mini SS on my HDPlex power supply. I added the HRS one plate at a time and the results were undeniably. Glad i took the plunge on these!

Also...updated system components, cables, tweaks lists and counts in original post.

Sharp 1080 11-07-2016 06:26 PM

Well done, enjoy the improvement made.

SCAudiophile 11-08-2016 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 (Post 812389)
Well done, enjoy the improvement made.

Thank you! Hope all is well with you w.r.t. life, audio, etc...!