AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Analog Addict 06-25-2022 05:58 PM

Text from Dennis
 
Why paraphrase???

“ Let these folks know that the voltages reported are derived from the first stage of the power supply. Let them know that the actual operating tube voltage is much lower when one considers the voltage drop through the filter chokes and the drop of voltage through the output transformer as well. Also with the auto, cathode bias there is an operating voltage differential with the voltage drop through the audio bias circuit. Also these voltages are for the 46 amplifier.


Talk to ya soon …

Dennis”

Analog Addict 06-25-2022 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTube Guy (Post 1062753)
6V6G and 6L6G and GAs are sublime too. IMHO, you don't need the Decware amp. Put those funds toward an Inspire LP2030 preamp and take your system to another level. :thumbsup:

That is the truth. Reach out and touch the future via the 01A way back machine...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9604f72e_b.jpgUntitled by analog addict, on Flickr

Isaacc7 06-25-2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Addict (Post 1062852)
Why paraphrase???

ď Let these folks know that the voltages reported are derived from the first stage of the power supply. Let them know that the actual operating tube voltage is much lower when one considers the voltage drop through the filter chokes and the drop of voltage through the output transformer as well. Also with the auto, cathode bias there is an operating voltage differential with the voltage drop through the audio bias circuit. Also these voltages are for the 46 amplifier.


Talk to ya soon Ö

DennisĒ

That is good to know. I do wonder what the output tubes are seeing with different rectifiers in the KT88 amp.

Analog Addict 06-26-2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaacc7 (Post 1062865)
That is good to know. I do wonder what the output tubes are seeing with different rectifiers in the KT88 amp.

Easy enough to measure...

Isaacc7 06-26-2022 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Addict (Post 1062882)
Easy enough to measure...

Do tell, I don't have a clue how to do it.

OldTube Guy 06-28-2022 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khashmi (Post 1062771)
Thanks, the thought has crossed my mind. That said, Iím also pretty happy with my current tube preamp (Freya Plus).

Decware: Itís only curiosity at this point considering it also has a very passionate following. Perhaps I can do an A/B comparison, which is something I am unable to find online as of yet. But good news is that now Iím not necessarily pining for it. Extremely happy with my choice to enter the Inspire family.

Speaking of being curious, I do plan to get a GL KT-77 as well to assess. Thatís another tube that consistently keeps getting rave reviews.

I will also now look at other 6V6 and 6L6 tubes seriously. I know the French Visseaux is highly regarded (I believe some like it better then the Popes).

Forget the Visseuax 6V6, it is now expensive and unobtanium. epay seller yitry in England and has true NOS Fivre 6V6Gs for a reasonable price. He also has NOS Ferranti/Brimar 807s. I have a quad of the 6V6s and a pair of the 807s. Excellent tubes.

Isaacc7 06-28-2022 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTube Guy (Post 1063068)
Forget the Visseuax 6V6, it is now expensive and unobtanium. epay seller yitry in England and has true NOS Fivre 6V6Gs for a reasonable price. He also has NOS Ferranti/Brimar 807s. I have a quad of the 6V6s and a pair of the 807s. Excellent tubes.

You don't have to spend a lot to get good 6v6 tubes. Though I am tempted by those Fivre 6v6g...

That seller, Langrex if you don't want to go through ebay, also has el38 tubes. One of my all time favorites in the amp. Pair it with a low gain tube like the 6bx7 or even better a bl63/cv1102 and I get amazingly balanced, slightly warm, tonally accurate, and with gobs of detail. The el38 gets kind of piercing in my system if I pair it up with most 6sn7 and especially 6sl7.

OldTube Guy 06-28-2022 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaacc7 (Post 1063085)
You don't have to spend a lot to get good 6v6 tubes. Though I am tempted by those Fivre 6v6g...

That seller, Langrex if you don't want to go through ebay, also has el38 tubes. One of my all time favorites in the amp. Pair it with a low gain tube like the 6bx7 or even better a bl63/cv1102 and I get amazingly balanced, slightly warm, tonally accurate, and with gobs of detail. The el38 gets kind of piercing in my system if I pair it up with most 6sn7 and especially 6sl7.

The Fivres are good and true NOS. The input tube used can make or break the sound of a given power tube. I cannot stress that enough. It makes the difference between thumbs up or down. Synergy is the key.

Isaacc7 06-28-2022 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTube Guy (Post 1063088)
The Fivres are good and true NOS. The input tube used can make or break the sound of a given power tube. I cannot stress that enough. It makes the difference between thumbs up or down. Synergy is the key.

if youíre going to play around with tubes rolling it pays to have a variety of input tubes. I have 8 or 9 different ones but Iím on the lunatic fringe lol. There have been so many instances of trying an output tube and thinking it stinks only to be amazed when trying a different input tube.

And donít fool yourself, the combos can be unpredictable. I used to think that tubes had flavors and I could simply add the flavor I wanted. Nope, I have been surprised many times at what combos ended up working. I do think that different tube types (6sn7 vs 6sl7 for example) can lead to predictable outcomes but versions inside the type can vary a lot.

khashmi 06-28-2022 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTube Guy (Post 1063068)
Forget the Visseuax 6V6, it is now expensive and unobtanium. epay seller yitry in England and has true NOS Fivre 6V6Gs for a reasonable price. He also has NOS Ferranti/Brimar 807s. I have a quad of the 6V6s and a pair of the 807s. Excellent tubes.

Thanks for the great tip. Iím looking it up. Btw, donít the 807ís need a special adaptor with a wire that goes from the base to the top of the tube (or do I have that wrong?).

To the extent Visseaux is available, what is in your opinion, a good price for them?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2022 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.