AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

BearCityUSA 08-31-2016 07:47 PM

I have thought for a while that basically anything goes with these inspire units so today i stuck a rectifier in an output tube socket and turned it on full volume. It was awesome!

Bombadil 08-31-2016 08:02 PM

:thumbsup::rofl2::rofl2:

Next time try rectifier tubes in all four sockets!

guitardave 09-01-2016 09:22 PM

Hmm, I see a PSE on the auction site now...

Great amp!

Rosco65 09-01-2016 10:55 PM

I suppose it's a way to jump to the head of the queue. Looks just like mine, and like mine doesn't seem old enough to be fully burned in.

On a related note, I'm doing some redecorating at home so I have all three of my tube amps at my office: Inspire Firebottle KT88HO (12 watts), Inspire PSE (18watts), and custom 421a SE amp (4 watts). The KT88HO is compact and weighs what you would expect (substantial but not particularly heavy). The PSE is about twice the size and 50% heavier. The 421a is not much larger than the KT88HO but weighs a least twice as much. While the 421a power transformer is half the size of the Inspire amps, it has a pair of Hashimoto Universal output transformers (improved version of the Tango U808). These are near the bottom of the Hashimoto SE line but are each about the size of the Inspire power transformer. The higher end, potted outputs must be absolutely massive.

For reference, this is the inspiration for my amp: Listening #109 | Stereophile.com. Mine uses the same circuit with a more conventional wood base/metal top plate. The am in the article has Magnequest outputs, though I'm told that Don Garber has switched to Hashimoto's on this amp now.

Bombadil 09-02-2016 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardave (Post 801258)
Hmm, I see a PSE on the auction site now...

Great amp!

That amp couldn't have many hours on it!!!
What were your impressions of it?

guitardave 09-02-2016 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 801292)
That amp couldn't have many hours on it!!! What were your impressions of it?

Correct, it has very few hrs on it, maybe 20. I also have a ref75se which is my main amp so this was only used occasionally.
The PSE is more detailed and transparent than the 17 watt version, as well as having more drive. Of course, a big advantage is the ability to mix tubes. My favorite combination is a kt88 and a 6v6 on each side. It also sounds more effortless playing my Devores.

FloridaBoy 09-02-2016 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardave (Post 801312)
Correct, it has very few hrs on it, maybe 20. I also have a ref75se which is my main amp so this was only used occasionally.
The PSE is more detailed and transparent than the 17 watt version, as well as having more drive. Of course, a big advantage is the ability to mix tubes. My favorite combination is a kt88 and a 6v6 on each side. It also sounds more effortless playing my Devores.

GD,

Which Devore's are U driving? Were you using Pope 6V6's? After a year of playing with 6V6's the Pope tube is the one I prefer.

FloridaBoy 09-02-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosco65 (Post 800540)
I would be interested in the changes you found with the Jupiter caps in the LP-27a. Apparently Dennis has upgraded at least on LP-27a to Jantzen Zcap Silver along with adding an additional PS filter choke.

My soon-to-arrive PSE has 1200v 0.33uF coupling caps. Jupiter HT Copper are $75 each while Dueland 400v RS are $85 each. If they fit, the latter might be very tempting.

Rosco,

FYI, Sonic Craft has the .33uf Jupiter HT copper for $60. The price of the Dueland caps has dropped considerably after the release of the Jupiter's.
They are supposed to be very close sonically but I have no first hand experience with Dueland.

Musica Amantem 09-02-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardave (Post 801312)

Could you kindly describe the "17 watt version"? Which amp is that? Thanks!

guitardave 09-02-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 801319)
GD, Which Devore's are U driving? Were you using Pope 6V6's? After a year of playing with 6V6's the Pope tube is the one I prefer.

I have Devore Nines. The PSE drives them well.
I have the Pope 6v6's.