AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

nhparrot 04-25-2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 722847)
I have found that the USAF 596 tube and the EML 5U4 sound pretty amazing. I recently acquired a sophia mesh plate 274b and it pales i comparison. The USAF 596 out shines all rectifiers I have used to date. I just wish I had two! Then I wouldn't be forced to choose if it goes in my LP-2 or my 6V6..... i do find the greatest gains are had with it in my power amp versus the LP-2

My other favourite rectifier is the holland made 5Y3. Lots of clean drive for the 6V6

Just my 2 cents Just packed up my rig, moving, probably wont see it til the New year :(

Simon, is the USAF 596 still your go to rectifier?

nhparrot 04-25-2016 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimmer266 (Post 775805)
Trying a Valve Art 274 in lieu of the RCA 5U4GB, and I am enjoying the look, but I can't say that the differences in sound are more than just different. I am using the Inspire KT88 with Gold Lions, and a 6DJ8 driver through Vandersteen 1b speakers. The setup has been great from the sweet spot, but not all cable changes or tube changes are more than just different.

In my setup, KT88's sound best to me when paired with a 5AR4 rectifier.

Simonatsea 04-25-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 776053)
Simon, is the USAF 596 still your go to rectifier?

Its funny, tubes seem system dependant like everything else. My favourite setup at the moment with the Kef LS-50 is Philips Holland 6SN7GT, Tube store preferred KT-88 and Goldlion GZ34. I also am preferring the sophia 274b mesh in the LP-2.

That said when I use my headphones- Mrspeaker Alpha dogs directly off the speaker taps the Popes with the 596 rectifier and the EML5U4 in the LP-2 is the clear winner.....

Go figure

FloridaBoy 04-25-2016 05:53 PM

Simon,

How are the Audyn coppers coming along?

Simonatsea 04-26-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 776134)
Simon, How are the Audyn coppers coming along?

I haven't gotten around to re installing them....

FloridaBoy 04-28-2016 05:24 PM

Capacitors

Google Arizona Capacitor Jeff's Place and you will find an interesting article about capacitors. Often, changing a small passive part can have as much impact as a component upgrade in a system.

The Jupiters I out in my LP 27a are not yet settled in. So far...me likey. However, you guys might want to consider paralleling a of a different persuasion smaller value cap .15-.22uf with the stock caps. It is easily reversible.

Musica Amantem 04-28-2016 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 776651)
Google Arizona Capacitor Jeff's Place and you will find an interesting article about capacitors. Often, changing a small passive part can have as much impact as a component upgrade in a system.

The Jupiters I out in my LP 27a are not yet settled in. So far...me likey. However, you guys might want to consider paralleling a of a different persuasion smaller value cap .15-.22uf with the stock caps. It is easily reversible.

This may be a dumb question, but shouldn't the caps upgrade be done so the end result is mathematically equivalent to the stock caps, not to affect the designer's intended effect on the circuit? I understand there may be different (maybe better) ways to achieve the mathematical end capacitance behavior using more sophisticated materials and such, but shouldn't the end specs be respected? Just asking ... Thanks!

FloridaBoy 04-30-2016 09:51 AM

It does no harm and caps are usually +/- 10%. You are paralleling a small value. The result is that the sonic signature of the additional cap is very apparent.

Musica Amantem 04-30-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 777022)
It does no harm and caps are usually +/- 10%. You are paralleling a small value. The result is that the sonic signature of the additional cap is very apparent.

Understood. I forgot stock caps in the LP-27a are of much larger value than in the Amp. This means, for example, a TF-Cu VCap within that specs range, connected in parallel in the Preamp would do as an interesting possibility due to the contrasting sonic profile with the Jupiter Copper Beeswax caps in the Amp. Thanks!

FloridaBoy 05-02-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 777160)
Understood. I forgot stock caps in the LP-27a are of much larger value than in the Amp. This means, for example, a TF-Cu VCap within that specs range, connected in parallel in the Preamp would do as an interesting possibility due to the contrasting sonic profile with the Jupiter Copper Beeswax caps in the Amp. Thanks!

Exactly. Mixing caps is recommended because the results can be complementary. I'll do more experimenting after the Jupiters fully settle in in the preamp.