AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Momentum Preamp audition (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44350)

Antonmb 11-15-2018 01:41 AM

Momentum Preamp audition

I had been thinking that my next step should be upgrading my phonostqge, and almost succumbed to impulse buying - I lusted after the Zesto Andros Deluxe at RMAF this year. I finally took a step back and am now considering whether a Momentum pre to match my S250 might have more of an impact. I’m currently running a Linn Klimax DSM as both streamer and pre. It’s a great digital source, but I’m suspecting a real pre might have a significant impact.

Last week when I heard the Momentum pre with Relentless amps, my wife came along. She looked at the pre and said something like “that’s cool, can you get it in black like your amp?”

So now I have a date (December 6) for the dealer to bring his floor model to my house for a few hours to hear it with my system before I make a final decision.

gadawg 11-15-2018 01:46 AM

I'm predicting that you'll love the Momentum Pre. In my systems a pre has always seemed to make a huge difference. Can't wait to hear your impressions!

George

SL1800 11-15-2018 08:56 AM

Congrats Tony!! I hope you like it, it is certainly a fantastic looking piece of gear.

For The Love of Music 11-15-2018 10:37 AM

Momentum Preamp audition

Tony, I’m not sure what would have more of an impact, but the Momentum Pre is a good mate with the your amp - I’m a believer in mating like components - looking forward to how you hear it.

IMO, the preamp generates 60% - 65% of what you will hear -this means priority to the preamp over the amps.

Adding to this is performance of the upstream source and I am now swinging back into the camp of adding a tube source feeding a solid state preamp, with caveats of review of qualified models, believing this will greatly contribute to a more natural sound.

Still-One 11-15-2018 03:33 PM

I think you are going to like what you hear when you mate the two Momentum products. Enjoy your session.

2fastdriving 11-15-2018 04:07 PM

That thing is definitely not going back! Looking forward to the review, Tony!

audioguy3107 11-15-2018 05:26 PM

Tony - When I put the Dag preamp in my system in place of the McIntosh C2300 it was a night and day difference. I’m also a big proponent of matching amplifier with preamp and boy did it bring everything together in my system. I think you’re gonna be quite amazed when you put it in there. Br prepared! :music:

- Buck

bart 11-15-2018 05:34 PM

Ha Tony, I think you will enjoy what you hear, and um... you have a good wife! :D

Antonmb 11-15-2018 07:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Jim and Buck, I especially appreciate your opinions, since I know you both have full Momentum setups.

Can’t wait.

audioguy3107 11-15-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 940622)
Thanks for the feedback guys. Jim and Buck, I especially appreciate your opinions, since I know you both have full Momentum setups.

Can’t wait.

I was fairly shocked at how much difference the preamp made in my system, not only was it much quieter than my C2300, everything just meshed better. For some reason I've always had in my head that the amplifier is going to make the difference in the chain but with all of my systems in the past, it's the preamplifier that has had the largest effect on sound quality.

- Buck