AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   What pre amp to pair with Ref-2SE phono Stage (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47679)

Captjoe 03-03-2020 08:14 AM

What pre amp to pair with Ref-2SE phono Stage

Just purchased a used Audio research Ref-2 SE from a member and thought I would look for a Ref-5SE preamp. Mainly because of the positive feedback online and the present price point. I current have a LS 26.I will give myself so time with both the 2Se and LS-26 but wanted to see what others here might think if I do choose to move away from the LS-26.

2fastdriving 03-03-2020 03:40 PM

Congrats on your new phono stage.

Ref5SE is a good cosmetic match for the Ref2SE, and the prices should be dropping for both Ref5's and 6's now that the Ref6 has an SE version as well. While the Ref6 is sonically a bit better, the Ref5SE is no slouch at all!

What amp are you driving? I tend to recommend running an ARC amp for an ARC preamp for best results, although I know some get good results with other brand amps.

Captjoe 03-03-2020 06:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 997015)
Congrats on your new phono stage.

Ref5SE is a good cosmetic match for the Ref2SE, and the prices should be dropping for both Ref5's and 6's now that the Ref6 has an SE version as well. While the Ref6 is sonically a bit better, the Ref5SE is no slouch at all!

What amp are you driving? I tend to recommend running an ARC amp for an ARC preamp for best results, although I know some get good results with other brand amps.

DYNACO LIMITED by WILL VINCENT
but will soon look at upgrade their to ARC also.

tdh888 03-03-2020 08:42 PM

ARC REF 5SE Or the REF 6 . Or if you can stretch your budget a little bit more go for the Ref Anniversary 40 . You’ll be able to listen / hear the full potential of your REF Phono 2SE and of course 2Fastdriving is right go for an ARC amp depending on your speakers efficiency the REF 75SE is a good place to start .

Captjoe 03-04-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdh888 (Post 997040)
ARC REF 5SE Or the REF 6 . Or if you can stretch your budget a little bit more go for the Ref Anniversary 40 . You’ll be able to listen / hear the full potential of your REF Phono 2SE and of course 2Fastdriving is right go for an ARC amp depending on your speakers efficiency the REF 75SE is a good place to start .

Been eyeballing the classifieds for a few weeks on the lookout for ARC amp.

BillK 03-05-2020 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captjoe (Post 996993)
Just purchased a used Audio research Ref-2 SE from a member and thought I would look for a Ref-5SE preamp. Mainly because of the positive feedback online and the present price point. I current have a LS 26.I will give myself so time with both the 2Se and LS-26 but wanted to see what others here might think if I do choose to move away from the LS-26.

I didn't like the Ref 5 SE, it didn't do all that much for my system.

Right now my Ref 2 SE Phono is used with an Ayre KX-R Twenty and it's pure magic.

Captjoe 03-05-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillK (Post 997186)
I didn't like the Ref 5 SE, it didn't do all that much for my system.

Right now my Ref 2 SE Phono is used with an Ayre KX-R Twenty and it's pure magic.

What would I expect from the Ref 5 SE as far as your experience goes,

lem321 03-08-2020 02:43 PM

I used to own both the ARC Ref 5SE and Ref 2SE and really enjoyed that combination with the Wilson Sashas. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 5SE. In the last year or two, I upgraded to the ARC Ref 6 and Ref 3 Phono and they are even better. The 6 is a big jump IMO from the 5SE with a tighter bottom end and wider soundstage in my system. The Ref 3 Phono is an improvement over the 2SE but less so than the linestage upgrade. Bottom line: if you can swing the Ref 6, do it, but the 5SE is superb and a great match (sonically and visually) with the 2SE. Add an ARC amp and you're set!

Captjoe 03-08-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lem321 (Post 997696)
I used to own both the ARC Ref 5SE and Ref 2SE and really enjoyed that combination with the Wilson Sashas. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 5SE. In the last year or two, I upgraded to the ARC Ref 6 and Ref 3 Phono and they are even better. The 6 is a big jump IMO from the 5SE with a tighter bottom end and wider soundstage in my system. The Ref 3 Phono is an improvement over the 2SE but less so than the linestage upgrade. Bottom line: if you can swing the Ref 6, do it, but the 5SE is superb and a great match (sonically and visually) with the 2SE. Add an ARC amp and you're set!

As with every choice it really becomes a matter of money. How long were willing to wait to do improvements. I'm looking at both the Ref 6 and 5 Se in the used market as well as the Ref 75 amp.

lem321 03-08-2020 05:18 PM

I had the Ref 5SE for about 3-4 years. Then the REF 6 came out with rave reviews and I was eyeing an upgrade at that point. A few did come up on the used market and I just waited until the right one came up. The good thing about ARC is that their products, especially from the REF series, hold their value quite well. So it made sense for me to buy used. Like a new car, the biggest depreciation occurs when the car rolls off the lot. For example buying a used 5SE now and selling it in a year or two won't hurt that much financially when you are ready to upgrade. But given the choice, a Ref 6 now would be the bomb. As Dave Wilson once said when asked about the high prices of his speakers (paraphrasing), "...it only hurts for a little while."