AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Transparent Gen 5 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44560)

GrubTheHedgehog 12-08-2018 10:35 AM

Transparent Gen 5

Does anyone know which Gen 5 Power Cord meets or exceeds the performance of the old top of the line PLMM2x cord

Does the new reference outperform MM2X or do you need to go to the XL for meaningful improvement?

Still-One 12-08-2018 11:56 AM

I believe that the current Reference XL would be the step up from the previous MM2X. I recently bit the bullet and moved from MM2x to Opus power cords on my amps. The improvement was good enough where I was able to move my Denali 6000T over to my sources and pre-amp.

I am not sure whether you need to go to the Reference XL to see that meaningful improvement you are seeking.

gadawg 12-08-2018 12:17 PM

I recently purchased an entire transparent power system and the difference between the Gen 5 Ref and XL is pretty big. I would recommend the XL if it fits your budget. Well worth it.

George

GrubTheHedgehog 12-08-2018 04:36 PM

Transparent Gen 5

Well actually I have Premiums so I am looking for a big step up from Premium MM2 cords.

Wondering really if the Reference Gen5 is as good as the old MM2X.

GrubTheHedgehog 12-09-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 944004)
I recently purchased an entire transparent power system and the difference between the Gen 5 Ref and XL is pretty big. I would recommend the XL if it fits your budget. Well worth it.

George

I am seriously considering the XL. Can you describe the improvement over the Reference?

gadawg 12-09-2018 01:26 PM

The XL seems to provide an even quieter noise floor so detail comes out that otherwise wouldn’t. The soundstage opens up even further and allows you to hear some of the different layers in the soundstage. So it’s not just that depth is improved .... with the XL the clarity of the layering becomes much more pronounced. Bass definition improves as well. If you can arrange an in home demo that really is best. Also, with the trade up program you can start with what fits your budget today and move up when you’re ready.

George

GrubTheHedgehog 01-13-2019 09:06 PM

Transparent Gen 5

GrubTheHedgehog 01-20-2019 04:47 PM

Transparent Gen 5

I did 2 Ref Gen 5 power cords for my QX-5 Twenty and my AX-5 Twenty amp. Incredible improvement over MM2 Premiums. Just incredible. Better wider sound stage, more precise imaginative, better bass slam and punch, more in phase sounding/solid center lock on vocals. Less glare on midrange/now almost now artifacts/fatigue on even poor recording; noticeable increase in dynamic range, amp seems to produce more power, instruments performing the same lines in harmony now can be more easily discerned as separate. You can follow any particular instrument through the whole track without instruments getting lost in the mix. This is the biggest single cable upgrade I ever done. I absolutely believe the Gen5 Reference and above power products is spectacular and dollar for dollar provides more improvement than speaker cords and interconnect. Slam dunk.

My new philosophy is power system to Reference level first, then pick components and other cables. You can’t get enough Gen 5 power conditioning.

Audio 1 01-20-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrubTheHedgehog (Post 949941)
I did 2 Ref Gen 5 power cords for my QX-5 Twenty and my AX-5 Twenty amp. Incredible improvement over MM2 Premiums. Just incredible. Better wider sound stage, more precise imaginative, better bass slam and punch, more in phase sounding/solid center lock on vocals. Less glare on midrange/now almost now artifacts/fatigue on even poor recording; noticeable increase in dynamic range, amp seems to produce more power, instruments performing the same lines in harmony now can be more easily discerned as separate. You can follow any particular instrument through the whole track without instruments getting lost in the mix. This is the biggest single cable upgrade I ever done. I absolutely believe the Gen5 Reference and above power products is spectacular and dollar for dollar provides more improvement than speaker cords and interconnect. Slam dunk.

My new philosophy is power system to Reference level first, then pick components and other cables. You can’t get enough Gen 5 power conditioning.

I agree :thumbsup:
The Transparent Gen. 5 power cables make everything sound better that they are connected to. Soon I am ordering two more of them.
Another surprise for me was how much positive change the Transparent ethernet cable made when connected to my streaming DAC.